Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Of the 9 you mentioned
Silf is a trade possibility, Cogs could get demoted the 4th line if Jones has a good camp.
Regardless I can see him starting on the 4th line Ala Perry and Getzlaf.
I. Won't even acknowledge your B point

As for A Terry is extremely undersized he needs plenty of time to develop physically and Comtois is coming straight from juniors and he definitely needs another year

I don't care what fans on this board think about whether they want physical players as of now the only forward who throws big hits let alone fight is Ritchie nobody else

Jones had a grand total of five fights in his OHL career so I think you're going to be disappointed in that regard.

I don't know if you've ever even watched the guy play but Jones is light years away from bumping Cogliano down our lineup. He's been pretty underwhelming overall since being drafted and looks a lot more like a player who will need AHL time than a guy who could go straight to the league.

If Jones has such a huge physical advantage over Steel and Terry, then clearly he has a lot more to work on when those two have been able to stand out much more among their peers than Jones since they were drafted.

Comtois has similar size to Jones, also brings a physical edge and shows more offensive upside, clearly the better prospect at this stage of their development despite being a year younger. You're suggesting Jones can make the jump straight from junior, yet not Comtois despite the latter having similar physical tools and a better success against his peers. What's the basis there, that Jones has an extra (underwhelming/injury riddled) season of junior under his belt?

quad65

I could agree with you, but then we are both wrong
We lack physical and aggressive players that can skate and shoot.

For a big guy Ritchie skates well and his wrister is deadly, I just wish he would use it more often.

Based on what the team needs are, I would think that Jones has a good chance to take an opening night roster spot.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Of the 9 you mentioned
Silf is a trade possibility, Cogs could get demoted the 4th line if Jones has a good camp.
Regardless I can see him starting on the 4th line Ala Perry and Getzlaf.
I. Won't even acknowledge your B point

As for A Terry is extremely undersized he needs plenty of time to develop physically and Comtois is coming straight from juniors and he definitely needs another year

I don't care what fans on this board think about whether they want physical players as of now the only forward who throws big hits let alone fight is Ritchie nobody else
Im actually going to agree with dirk on this... id say of all the guys coming out of juniors this season jones is prob the most NHL ready.... physically/stylistically he can fit basically anywhere in the line up and not hurt his development.

Guys like Terry/Steel need to be put in more top 6 roles to excel id think and would benefit down in AHL... to develop and grow a bit.... but 1 may get a long look due to keslers injury.

Id be completely shocked of lundestrum makes it, and comtois will be sent down to juniors to continue to develop... no reason to bring him up yet.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Im actually going to agree with dirk on this... id say of all the guys coming out of juniors this season jones is prob the most NHL ready.... physically/stylistically he can fit basically anywhere in the line up and not hurt his development.

Guys like Terry/Steel need to be put in more top 6 roles to excel id think and would benefit down in AHL... to develop and grow a bit.... but 1 may get a long look due to keslers injury.

Id be completely shocked of lundestrum makes it, and comtois will be sent down to juniors to continue to develop... no reason to bring him up yet.

I see little reason to rush a guy into the NHL unless you see him in an offensive role. 20 year olds with holes in their game belong in the AHL not banging and crashing on the 4th line. I've seen nothing to suggest Jones would be able to contribute much offensively right now and highly doubt he'd give us more dependable checking line minutes than the more experienced veterans we have in place. I'd rather our checking line jobs go to guys who can play against opponents best and take PK minutes from our top players, and also rather our offensive minutes go to players who show stand out offensive ability.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I am not a fan of any young player not putting time into the AHL. They gain experience and physical maturity that will help them when they reach the NHL. My mantra is "don't rush players", because when you do you can possible hinder their development into the best possible player that they can be. That said I don't mind a young player in their first professional year coming up for a number of games and then going down again if the player is very promising. Their exposure to the NHL at that time may well help their development. But in the end the goal is to get at least four or five productive years out of a prospect, if not more, and in my opinion the best way to do that is to let them follow a natural path of development. As a result I would much prefer that Jones, Terry, or any other prospect that is new to the pros be assigned to San Diego. And, if they are needed in Anaheim, it is only a relatively short drive up the freeway.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

For a big guy Ritchie skates well and his wrister is deadly, I just wish he would use it more often.

Based on what the team needs are, I would think that Jones has a good chance to take an opening night roster spot.

Honestly I think Ritchie uses his shot as much as can be expected but he's either too slow or just doesn't have the hockey sense to get into good scoring position. Not sure which it is.

Reactions: lakai17

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jones needs to go to the AHL, play big minutes and play on the PP and PK and hopefully develop some more offensively before he comes to the NHL. He also needs to learn how to stay in the lineup more frequently. He may be able to play on the 4th line but that doesn’t mean it’s where he should be.

Reactions: lakai17

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I like Jones but if you think he's going to play on the 4th line you forgot who the coach of this team still is. GMBM doing his duty signing other teams' scraps to form our 4th line.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Jones had a grand total of five fights in his OHL career so I think you're going to be disappointed in that regard.

I don't know if you've ever even watched the guy play but Jones is light years away from bumping Cogliano down our lineup. He's been pretty underwhelming overall since being drafted and looks a lot more like a player who will need AHL time than a guy who could go straight to the league.

If Jones has such a huge physical advantage over Steel and Terry, then clearly he has a lot more to work on when those two have been able to stand out much more among their peers than Jones since they were drafted.

Comtois has similar size to Jones, also brings a physical edge and shows more offensive upside, clearly the better prospect at this stage of their development despite being a year younger. You're suggesting Jones can make the jump straight from junior, yet not Comtois despite the latter having similar physical tools and a better success against his peers. What's the basis there, that Jones has an extra (underwhelming/injury riddled) season of junior under his belt?
I didn't say I want him as an enforcer, I want BM to sign an actual enforcer who can play

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry > Jones for next season as of right now, Kossila before both imo.

Oct 18, 2011

With this roster it doesn't really make sense to give up on Ritchie who is taking his spot? May as well see it through

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's debatable but regardless out of those mentioned (high pedigree prospects) wouldn't you say he's the most nhl ready?
In that sense yes, he might be the most physically ready of all our prospects. I saw a word combination of ''top prospects'' and couldn`t imagine Jones being in top 2 but as of the physical traits he is at the top, probably. I just hope he develops other things, the smarts and everything.

But he is also made out of glass so it seems lately. Injury after injury after injury.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
How many enforcers who can actually play are there left and how many are available?
Isn't Manson a semi-enforcer ? That time he tore Giordano apart was great. He's part Dave Manson who was nicknamed Charlie Manson on the ice for a reason. I'd really like Fowler/Manson to work because out of of the Ducks top 3 D-men Fowler is the softest & needs a guy like Manson to keep Giordano's in line.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Isn't Manson a semi-enforcer ? That time he tore Giordano apart was great. He's part Dave Manson who was nicknamed Charlie Manson on the ice for a reason. I'd really like Fowler/Manson to work because out of of the Ducks top 3 D-men Fowler is the softest & needs a guy like Manson to keep Giordano's in line.
Manson and fowler did good together.... but for whatever reason RC wont let the Lindholm Montour/Fowler Manson pairing have time to gel together.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
Dirk are you looking for an actual enforcer? If so do you have names? Or are you talking about guys with an edge/skill. Like a Tom Wilson Chris Kreider Austin Watson Evander Kane type of player?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think he believes that Lindholm needs more sheltering than just playing against lesser opponents.

I’m not sure about that, he had Lindholm and a rookie Montour paired together against McDavid in the 2017 playoffs.

I think it’s probably due to how much better Manson plays with Lindholm than the other way around.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m not sure about that, he had Lindholm and a rookie Montour paired together against McDavid in the 2017 playoffs.

I think it’s probably due to how much better Manson plays with Lindholm than the other way around.
Ya I think it has more to do with how good Manson is with Lindholm... but honestly I feel like if given a longer look Manson/fowler could work really well... and Montour and Lindholm could work really well.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Roy has been re-signed to a 1 year 2 way deal at just under 900K.

Pretty standard contract for a fringe guy. This is probably a pretty big year for him in whether or not he can play his way onto a one way contract and stick in the NHL. Given his performance last season he still has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Opak

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Roy has been re-signed to a 1 year 2 way deal at just under 900K.

Pretty standard contract for a fringe guy. This is probably a pretty big year for him in whether or not he can play his way onto a one way contract and stick in the NHL. Given his performance last season he still has a lot of work to do.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but Kossila also signed. He gets 650k at the NHL level and 125K in the AHL, with a minimum 175k guaranteed.

Reactions: Paul4587 and Opak

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Dirk are you looking for an actual enforcer? If so do you have names? Or are you talking about guys with an edge/skill. Like a Tom Wilson Chris Kreider Austin Watson Evander Kane type of player?
I would like those types but that is not realistic so at the minimum a 4th liner who can fight and throws big hits. Tanner Glass, Jordin Tootoo etc

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hartman signing for 1 year 875k should bode well for getting Ritchie on a similar dirt cheap, "show me" deal. I'd expect Ritchie to get more but still close to that $1M range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad