2018-19 Roster talk; Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I said I've soured a bit. I'm not making the case he is bad.

This team flounders 5on5. It's a chore to watch. I've watched good 5on5 teams. This team isn't one of those teams yet. Probably due to coaching. If they managed to get production anyway, it's in spite of how lukewarm they are 5on5. Numerical production isn't the same thing as quality. By that rationale, a pigeon player who isn't a well-rounded NHLer who scores more goals would somehow be better than a guy who scores slightly less goals, but plays all 200 feet. Last year, this team wasn't a complete player @ 5on5.

Passable isn't a glowing endorsement. I expected Weal to be better. Given the style of player he is, he has to make up for it in other ways, which he only "kind of" does. Ergo, soured.

You're strawmanning me a bit. My complaint isn't about how much money he makes. I'm remarking on how you are putting him just ahead of other players, one of whom is a literal cap dump transaction player. Again, not a ringing endorsement. I wouldn't want you as my lawyer.

He can battle all he wants-- he's not talented enough to do it well all the time with his size, which vacillates somewhere between being okay to being a problem, which is, I suppose, not the worst thing in the world if he doesn't get a lot of minutes. So, I'm meh here.

That being said, I hope I can return to my former opinion of thinking he could be a minor "something" for the team.

Huh..? The team is decent at 5v5 whether you want to believe it or not. Numerical production accounts for both GF and GA. It is okay if you believe otherwise, but I can't force you to be correct.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like the 3rd jerseys. They look good on the ice when combined with the rest of the uniform.
VoracekGostisbehere.jpg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, no problem. :)

Stuff like this:

I really value his shooting. Who else on the team can score like that? Konecny. Giroux, sometimes. But it's unique enough that I think it's worth something to us, especially when paired with his above average skating. Plus, remember back when he was PKing with Giroux? They looked just like the old Richards-Giroux pair that was so dangerous shorthanded. It felt like they created more scoring chances than they allowed on the PK.

This is his career highlights basically.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Well there’s obviously more goals than that, but in a short career with little usage, that’s not bad.

And at 24...the kid is fine. Give him some opportunities and see what he can do with it. He's a better player than we've got for 3C other than Giroux, which isn't going to happen, and potentially Frost.

To put things in perspective, Laughton has a career AHL PPG around 0.65. Vorobyev has around 0.50 with a better team. They're both totally different types of offensive player, but still...on the macro that figure is not insignificant.

Laughton's "offensive" woes are as much a Couturierism as the original Couturierism, Couturier himself, offensive bust extroardinaire.

Laughton's not ever going to be a world beater, but he's going to be fine and Hextall likes him. Is he better on the wing? Probably with his speed, forechecking, outside shot, and lack of passing awareness...but there are no wing spots open....

I mean unless, best case scenario, Frost makes and deserves to make this team:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
vanRiemsdyk - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Frost - Simmonds
Laughton - Weal - Raffl

4 lines! What a concept! /drool

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton has significant upside at LW, but not at center. On the wing, his speed and shot, with a responsible center, could make him a 20 goal scorer.
His problem isn't his offense, he scored in his first full season, just was exposed on defense.
Worked hard to turn it around and was an effective 4C as long as he had Raffl. But just isn't a playmaker, doesn't elevate his wingers.

Vorobyev has had a slower development path, didn't play a lot in the KHL, last year was adjusting to the US, NA hockey and a different style of play.
He's a natural center in the Couts mold, big, physical two way player with good ice vision.
Vorobyev may need more seasoning, but he'll be perfect for 4 C with Frost at 3C.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton has significant upside at LW, but not at center. On the wing, his speed and shot, with a responsible center, could make him a 20 goal scorer.
His problem isn't his offense, he scored in his first full season, just was exposed on defense.
Worked hard to turn it around and was an effective 4C as long as he had Raffl. But just isn't a playmaker, doesn't elevate his wingers.

Vorobyev has had a slower development path, didn't play a lot in the KHL, last year was adjusting to the US, NA hockey and a different style of play.
He's a natural center in the Couts mold, big, physical two way player with good ice vision.
Vorobyev may need more seasoning, but he'll be perfect for 4 C with Frost at 3C.

I think so too. And Laughton and Raffl on Vorobyev's wings would be an incredible 4th line if Vorobyev is ready.

But Vorobyev is NOT ready for 3C and is not a better player than Laughton outright. If Frost isn't ready, we have tough decisions to make.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I still can't believe they are gonna just give away Ryan White's iconic number 25 to just any Joe Schmoe off the street.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think so too. And Laughton and Raffl on Vorobyev's wings would be an incredible 4th line if Vorobyev is ready.

But Vorobyev is NOT ready for 3C and is not a better player than Laughton outright. If Frost isn't ready, we have tough decisions to make.

Flyers can get by for a half season to season with Weal at 3C and Laughton at 4C.
The top two lines will be as good as anyone in the league, and play the lion share of minutes, so the 3rd and 4th lines won't get that much PT.
It's a transition year, I know some fans here think you should blow up the rebuild to make a move now, but when you'll have Frost, Vorobyev and Rubtsov to play center on your third and fourth lines next year, and O'Brien as a dark horse, patience is counseled.

I think Ron will keep an eye on low cost (assets, not salary, a one to two year overpay would be fine given the Flyer cap situation) veteran centers that might become available, but only if the player is an upgrade over Weal, Laughton, MV, Bardreau - but my suspicion is he'll wait until the end of camp, see how his own players look, and if someone shakes loose (a young center playing well could encourage a team to shed a salary).

Maybe Frost wins the job, maybe Vorobyev takes a step up, but if not, given we were rolling Filppula and Lehtera last year, it can't be worse.
Weal should give you 25-30 points at 3C with Lindblom and Simmonds, and mediocre defense, and Laughton could center an excellent fourth line with Raffl and NAK that could pound teams on the forecheck. That would still be an upgrade over last season.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Not really sure why they had to film this in Low Attention Span Hyperspeed Jumpcut Style.

That's just the default setting these days.

It's a nice Jersey and couple Rick tocchets to the collection looks nice in the man cave.

For some reason, I imagine when you say man cave, that yours is an actual cave, with stalactites and stalagmites and a half a tauntaun carcass strung up and curing in the arctic air.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The one thing adding a C does, is cushion us if/when an injury occurs to a C. Imagine say Patrick missing time then running with:

Couts
Weal
Laughton
Lehtera

uggh

A deal offered on the main boards, was Danault for a 2nd and a 3rd. I would do that without issue and since he has 3 years left, he can be flipped to another team in a year or so to re-coup what we spent on him....assuming he was available of course. Which I am sure he isn't.

Just using that example that a guy with a few years left is not so bad if he isn't overpaid because he can be flipped once we don't need him anymore.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad