2018-19 Roster talk; Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If laughton is pushed to wing i could possibly see him displacing lindblom at 3lw. The more i think about it the better fit it seems.

I've said before i think laughton at center was more a lack of organizational depth than putting hom in a place to succeed. With positional help finally on the way i think we could see great improvement from scotty

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Giroux should play with Couturier to start, but it could be smart to put him back at C if nobody fills the #3c position. Considering his health in 2016-2017, it wouldn’t be a shock for him to go right back to being an elite center now that his hip is healed.

Lindblom-Giroux-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Simmonds
JVR-Patrick-Weal
Raffl-Laughton-X

How in Gods name does Lindblom end up on the 1st line...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not trading for a 3C, even if Frost is sent back. We aren't cup contenders this year anyway, no reason to go spend assets.

Worst case Giroux goes back to center in case of injuries.

If the team looks like they are in the hunt for the Division but need a 3C, its perfectly fine to trade an asset or two for one.

The fetishizing of assets around here has jumped the shark.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
If the team looks like they are in the hunt for the Division but need a 3C, its perfectly fine to trade an asset or two for one.

Stockpiling hockey prospects sounds like my kind of fetish. ;)

How in Gods name does Lindblom end up on the 1st line...

I think in that case you would be looking more at three relatively similar scoring lines; Lindblom is merely with Giroux out of fit/balance for the other lines.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Seems like people forget what we are. We have no goaltending, weak defensive depth and one of the worst coaching groups in the league. If we are actually in the hunt for winning the division then ok, but I'll wait until that moment before going out and grabbing a 3C.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If laughton is pushed to wing i could possibly see him displacing lindblom at 3lw. The more i think about it the better fit it seems.

I've said before i think laughton at center was more a lack of organizational depth than putting hom in a place to succeed. With positional help finally on the way i think we could see great improvement from scotty

Laughton is not displacing Lindblom.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think NAK and Vorobyev are close to making the team, their TC appearances will probably determine where they start the season.
Ron has this gauge of a player being close to ready, which means they can make the team in TC, or further away, which means a good TC is considered "fool's gold."
I think NAK is considered ahead of Vorobyev, who lost time to injury, and Ron may want him to start in the AHL, but my bet is he'll be recalled in January or February.

2) What are the chances that either Nicolas Aube-Kubel or Mikhai Vorobyev will make the Flyers' NHL roster this season? While Hextall is encouraged by what he saw from both players last season with the Phantoms, he is not ready to declare either forward NHL-ready roughly two months before the start of the preseason.

"Nic had a real good year last year. He didn't have such a good year his first season. He still has some things to tidy up in his game, but he's tidied up the defensive side of the game to some degree," Hextall said.

Phantoms head coach Scott Gordon said that he saw gradual improvement from Aube-Kubel as a rookie but that his rate of development accelerated in year two, which is why he was entrusted with a bigger role.

"If you asked me at the start of the year, I'd have said that if he improves about as much as he did from last year to the beginning of this one, it would be a pretty good second year for him. But he's surpassed that. With a lot of young players who were big scorers in junior hockey, it takes time to figure out how you have to play to be successful as a pro - where you have to go, being harder on the puck, when you can make a play and when you should just live to fight the next battle, the physical side, the mental side in finding an identity as to what you need to do to. There's a whole lot involved. He had some tough adjustments last year, and this year, the light went on for him and he gets it. He's become a lot harder to play against," Gordon said.

The GM said that Vorobyev had "a pretty good year" as a rookie with the Phantoms although he was set back by injuries (58 regular season games, nine playoff games). Gordon said in April that Vorobyev was arguably the best passer on the team. The coach said that the rookie struggled at first with the stylistic transition from the KHL to the American Hockey League, made significant progress but the injuries sometimes disrupted the progress and he'd take one step backward in the first couple games after his return before moving forward again.

Vorobyev has made progress -- more rapidly than countryman German Rubtsov, who will play his first pro season this year in Lehigh Valley -- in learning English. He still is not comfortable enough yet to do interviews in English but will converse with teammates and coaches. Phantoms forward Radel Fazleev, who went from speaking virtually no English to near-fluency within a year during his junior hockey career with the Calgary Hitmen, roomed with Vorobyev last season.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: Aube-Kubel, Vorobyev and More

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Depends what you mean by "trading assets."

1st rd pick, has to be a younger top 9, or top 6 rental, our drafting track record is too good at that point in the draft to give those away.
2nd rd pick, has to be an upgrade over Weal/Laughton/Vorobyev, and not just depth.
3rd rd or worse picks, 2nd tier prospects like Sushko, Strome (outside out top 10-15), sure, we don't have room to keep them all down the road anyway.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Okay. This could also be an option (not ideal but...).

Raffl is a great winger for what he does, but he COULD line up at the C position on the 3rd line;

Lindblom - Raffl - Simmonds

I would ONLY do this if we don't have Laughton there (or the org doesn't see the fit for him there) in the 3rd line C. Or if Frost isn't able to carry the duties full time.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
This is the time of the summer where I start getting excited about our roster and the upcoming season. Problem is it has been a few months since a game and I start forgetting who our coach is and that logic and reason don't matter. I made this mistake last summer, not going to do it again. Some of the line ups poster here look fantastic...but will never see the light of day. The 3C debate is pointless because Lethera has that spot.

Giroux-Couturier-Raffl
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
TK-Lethera-Simmonds
Lindblom-Laughton-Weise

Provorov-MacDonald
Ghost-Hagg
Gudas-Frolin -(yes hes dumb enough to put the two RH dmen together)
Sanheim

That will be the starting line up vs Vegas. The sooner we all accept that the easier the depression will be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And when they get 105 points and win a playoff round, Striiker will say it was all because of the star players, if only they had a "real" coach they would have had 110 points and won the CF.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
This is the time of the summer where I start getting excited about our roster and the upcoming season. Problem is it has been a few months since a game and I start forgetting who our coach is and that logic and reason don't matter. I made this mistake last summer, not going to do it again. Some of the line ups poster here look fantastic...but will never see the light of day. The 3C debate is pointless because Lethera has that spot.

Giroux-Couturier-Raffl
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
TK-Lethera-Simmonds
Lindblom-Laughton-Weise

Provorov-MacDonald
Ghost-Hagg
Gudas-Frolin -(yes hes dumb enough to put the two RH dmen together)
Sanheim

That will be the starting line up vs Vegas. The sooner we all accept that the easier the depression will be.

did you steal Haktards personal notepad ???

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well this is going to be a popular post for sure.
The hyper-dramatic pessimism never stops. No matter how many times they're proven to be wrong, lessons are never learned.

Go back a couple of months and it was a guarantee that Manning and Filppula would be back and Hextall would never try to improve the team. Go further back and it was a guarantee that Vandevelde would be back and Bellemare would be protected in the expansion draft.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The hyper-dramatic pessimism never stops. No matter how many times they're proven to be wrong, lessons are never learned.

Go back a couple of months and it was a guarantee that Manning and Filppula would be back and Hextall would never try to improve the team. Go further back and it was a guarantee that Vandevelde would be back and Bellemare would be protected in the expansion draft.

Theres a canyon sized difference between being pessimistic about Hextalls decision-making and being pessimistic about Hakstols decision-making. You know this.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Theres a canyon sized difference between being pessimistic about Hextalls decision-making and being pessimistic about Hakstols decision-making. You know this.
Right, just like the canyon between a realistic concern and the unrealistic dramatics on here.

My point is, there's no reason to take a real concern (Hakstol doing something stupid) and then exaggerate it until it sounds ridiculous (literally every worst case scenario becoming true).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right, just like the canyon between a realistic concern and the unrealistic dramatics on here.

My point is, there's no reason to take a real concern (Hakstol doing something stupid) and then exaggerate it until it sounds ridiculous (literally every worst case scenario becoming true).

I mean..he was clearly goofing around.

giphy-4.gif

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Now let's not confuse iterative processes for overall trend. Could that potentially be the lineup at points during the season thanks to Hakstol? Probably.

Will it trend in that direction more than the more reasonable direction where people generally fall where they deserve to fall? Probably not.

We will have stuff to complain about so it won't be perfect. It won't be an outright disaster like the above posted lineup because generally speaking, outright disasters have pretty powerful way of convincing those responsible to fix their shit. Functionally, disastrous decisions mitigate themselves eventually.

So yeah. Hakstol will do things we don't like. Will he create a monster that belligerently idiotic and stick with it all season? Definitely not.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean..he was clearly goofing around.

View attachment 132241
No, not clearly. He's made many other overly pessimistic posts like that, just like others have. You can't automatically dismiss that as joking around... even if some of them are, some of them definitely aren't.

You should know by now that you can't assume anything on here is a joke unless it's by someone who's always joking around (like CDP, for example) because there's posters on here who say things that SHOULD be jokes, but that mean it 100% seriously. I'm pretty sure you have a handful of those guys blocked too, so you know who I'm talking about. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol isn't stupid, you don't have his success, top college program, playoffs 2 of 3 years during a massive rebuild (don't think so, go look at the 2013-14 roster, who's left? Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couts, Raffl, MacDonald) being stupid.

Lehtera and Weise will play only if a bunch of younger forwards screw the pooch.
There are 10 forwards with set jobs: G, V, Couts, TK, JVR, Patrick, Lindblom, Simmonds, Laughton, Raffl
So we're talking keeping 4 forwards for 2 spots: Frost, Vorobyev, NAK, Weal, Leier, MV, Bardreau with Lehtera and Weise pulling up the rear.

There are 7 D-men with set jobs: Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Sanheim, MacDonald, Hagg and Folin.
Myers makes 8. Morin 9 in the spring. The only way MacDonald and Hagg both play is Sanheim and Myers blow it.

The kids know what they have to do to win jobs, it's stressed in talks with scouts in junior, it's stressed by the AHL coaches, it's stressed in TC.

"how you have to play to be successful as a pro - being harder on the puck, learning when you can make a play and when you should just live to fight the next battle, the physical side, the mental side in finding an identity as to what you need to do to."

The ones who learn this play, the ones who want to free lance, make bad decisions, fail to back check, don't want to fore check, don't focus on gap control, and won't fight for the puck in the corners and along the boards get benched.

This is Hextall, it is the tone of the organization, it's been stressed for four years now.
Get with the program or get out - and most of the players Hextall drafts buy into this approach to the game.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I was exaggerating but in all honestly a few of those decisions will probably come true. Whether it be Raffl on the top line, TK or Lethera on the 3rd, ghost n provy split up, etc. He hasnt iced the best possible line up in 3 years idk why people expect that to change this year.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I am hoping Myers makes the team at the beginning of the season and shows big improvement to be able to jump up and play with Provy later in the season. I'm looking forward to those two playing together for years to come. Save Ghost's body with lighter minutes and put him with Sanheim and then have MacDonald/Gudas together as the third pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad