2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Trade for Tarasenko and Panarin is even more likely. Just have to deal Voracek to make room.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Panarin-Patrick-Tarasenko
JVR-Frost-X
Laughton-Vorobyev-X

Panarin-Hughes-Farabee
Giroux-Couturier-Tarasenko
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Allison/Ratcliffe-Frost-O’Brien/Rubstov/Vorobyev

Didn’t include Lindblom as I could see him in a deal for Tarasenko if it ever happened.
If getting both Vlad and the Bread Man was an actual possibility I want Fletch to go balls deep and bang this trade/signing out like a mofo

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He's not my first choice, but you're awfully dismissive of Skinner's career prior to this one. I mean, he just had 37 goals last season. He had three 30 goal seasons prior to this year in fact. This year he has a shot at 50 goals due to his crazy high shooting percentage so far. He's a good player.

If they dont land Panarin, Skinner is a very good consolation prize.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see a point in trading assets for guys who are going to be 28 by next season. I don’t think this team will be ready to compete for a cup in those players primes, and feel we’d be better off trading for picks and prospects.

If we’re trading for nhl players I’d rather them be early 20s which is why I’m keen on a deal around William Nylander

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well it was well known that Q liked Panarin and was pissed when he was traded.

I have not seen Florida mentioned....but have seen NYR as a likely destination.
Q may have been upset that they traded Panarin for Saad. But I still have yet to read anything indicating that Panarin had any kind of special bond with Q that would influence Panarin's FA choice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wet dream time I see!
My suspicion is one big free agent signing, one secondary signing like Staal (buying time for prospects to mature) and one major trade.
And along with a top pick in the draft, that would be quite a haul.
Especially when you're adding Frost, Myers, Friedman, NAK and maybe Farabee.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see a point in trading assets for guys who are going to be 28 by next season. I don’t think this team will be ready to compete for a cup in those players primes, and feel we’d be better off trading for picks and prospects.

If we’re trading for nhl players I’d rather them be early 20s which is why I’m keen on a deal around William Nylander

You don't think the Flyers can compete for a Cup within the next 4 years?

That's depressing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have no problem trading for players who'll be 27-28 next year, depending on their contract term.
With one year remaining, you might hesitate, since keeping them means a 7 year deal starting at 29, so you might be trading for a rental.
With 3-4 years remaining, you can justify the payment.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Wet dream time I see!
My suspicion is one big free agent signing, one secondary signing like Staal (buying time for prospects to mature) and one major trade.
And along with a top pick in the draft, that would be quite a haul.
Especially when you're adding Frost, Myers, Friedman, NAK and maybe Farabee.

Where does Friedman fit in?

Provy
Ghost
Sanheim
Myers
Morin
Friedman?

Trade Gudas, Hagg and waive/trade McD?

They need to add a veteran dman/difference maker. They can’t be in constant rebuild/development mode.
So, are you trading Morin too? Or, is Friedman just beating him out?

Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Karlsson/Trouba/Muzzin/Petro

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
You don't think the Flyers can compete for a Cup within the next 4 years?

That's depressing.
Seriously, this constant rebuild/development bullshart has gone on far too long.
There are plenty of assets to acquire missing pieces and talent on the team to contend in 1-2 seasons if not next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No I don’t lol
This team is broken and needs a total rebuild

I think that's overly pessimistic.
This has been one of those "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong" seasons, but the underlying talent base hasn't changed.

In terms of the rebuild, nothing has been set back, the prospects are playing up to or beyond expectations for the most part.
The young core has struggled, but has shown enough promise that there's no reason to be pessimistic about their prospects.
We're going to get a top draft pick this year who may contribute immediately.

Nothing has changed the timetable, they should bounce back next year, be improved in 2020-21 and loaded for bear in 2021-22. Same timetable as Chicago and Winnipeg, slower than Pitt b/c we didn't get MAF, Crosby, Letang and Malkin with top picks.
We have a franchise goalie, the core of a defense, and some young forwards to go with G and Couts.
And we have some top prospects as well as depth on the way.

Before any draft picks, trades or signings, we're probably adding Frost, Myers, Friedman and NAK, Morin returns by March, and players like Farabee, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski have a shot at a roster spot. That's a lot of talent to add in one year.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No I don’t lol

People vastly overestimate the time needed to build a cup contender. We have enough pieces in place that with the right coach and the right additions (we have cap space and tradeable assets for days) that we could contend as soon as next season. Everything has to pretty much break the right way, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It takes 7-8 years to build a cup contender from scratch, which is pretty much what Hextall was doing (6 players are left from the team he took over, and MacDonald, Simmonds and Raffl are probably goners, and maybe Voracek).
But next year is year 6, so we're not rebuilding from scratch, we're just finishing the job.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No I don’t lol

They could be a contender as soon as next season if they hire Q and make a big splash in free agency this summer.

I think you are forgetting the effect a good coach and a few tweaks can have.

Look at Calgary last season vs. Calgary this season for an example.

All they did was :
  • Fire Galutzan
  • Hire Peters
  • Trade Hamilton, Ferland, Fox for Hanifin, Lindholm

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They could be a contender as soon as next season if they hire Q and make a big splash in free agency this summer.

All they did was :
  • Fire Galutzan
  • Hire Peters
Yup.

100% agreed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I guess some people forgot least year already. Short memories.

I can't say I blame people because certain things have to happen first to turn this around, and those things are not a guarantee.

There is no guarantee we hire the right coaching staff.

There is no guarantee we add the necessary pieces to push us forward.

Reactions: VladDrag

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He’s kind of injury prone no?
I mean he misses a handful of games every now and then but I wouldn't call him injury prone. Only once has he played fewer than 71 games. Last four seasons have been 82, 79, 82, 77. Even if he misses ten games a year but scores 55-65 points I am fine with that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't say I blame people because certain things have to happen first to turn this around, and those things are not a guarantee.

There is no guarantee we hire the right coaching staff.

There is no guarantee we add the necessary pieces to push us forward.
I’m not talking about optimism in the future.

I’m saying that the notion of needing to blow this team up is idiotic because people are basing that off of this single incomplete season and pretending this is a sustainable level of play. Not even a full year ago we saw the potential of this roster, including players not even in their prime yet.

We need specific changes and improvements, obviously, but thinking they should blow it up is such an insane overreaction. Making any judgements based on their year is flat out stupid.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m not talking about optimism in the future.

I’m saying that the notion of needing to blow this team up is idiotic because people are basing that off of this single incomplete season and pretending this is a sustainable level of play. Not even a full year ago we saw the potential of this roster, including players not even in their prime yet.

We need specific changes and improvements, obviously, but thinking they should blow it up is such an insane overreaction. Making any judgements based on their year is flat out stupid.

People saying they should blow it up is just out of frustration I would imagine and most probably realize that they can turn it around with a few changes.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Meh. It’s just the same thing over and over with this team. It’s not impossible, but I’m not expecting that level of asset management tbh.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People saying they should blow it up is just out of frustration I would imagine and most probably realize that they can turn it around with a few changes.
Some maybe, some maybe not.

After all the dumb stuff I’ve read on here in the last few years, it can be hard to tell the difference between venting and true cluelessness anymore.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

All they did was :
  • Fire Galutzan
  • Hire Peters

Trading Hamilton, Ferland (21 goals in 2017-18) was a big move, akin to trading Voracek and Simmonds.

A few other matters:
Tkachuk #6-2016, had 32 ES points in 2017-18, 33 so far this year (though his 19.3 Sh% isn't sustainable) at 21
Monahan #6-2013, has made a big jump at 24 years old
Lindholm #5-2014, is having the breakout season at 24 he never had under Peters in Carolina

The goalies are a wash and Neal (32) turned out to be an awful FA signing - 5yr, $28.75M, also Ryan (32) - 3yr, $9.375.
Basically, this is team being carried by Gaudreau and three top draft picks who have broke out this season, especially on the PP, which has gone from awful to above average. The defense has improved slightly, 2.06 ES Goals per game v 2.28.
I'm not sure how much impact Peters has had, but patience with young prospects certainly made a difference.

I want to "blow it up" in the sense of moving out some of the veteran core, Simmonds, Voracek, Raffl, and bring in some new blood. I'd include Ghost in a trade for a top RHD (because I think he has no upside left, no sign he's every going to regain his exceptional burst as a rookie) - they went belly up with them, they can win without them. We'd still have Provorov, Sanheim and Morin as LHD, with Kalynuk, Ginning, Zamula and Hogberg on the way,

But I don't want to touch the young core, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, or the top prospects, Frost, Farabee, Hart. Add G as the veteran anchor and Couts, and you have 9 players to build around, and throw in this year's top pick. Add a top forward and RHD and you have a solid playoff team next year, and a Cup contender in 2-3 years. Bring in someone like Staal as a short-term patch if you want to buy time for Frost and Rubtsov.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
It takes 7-8 years to build a cup contender from scratch, which is pretty much what Hextall was doing (6 players are left from the team he took over, and MacDonald, Simmonds and Raffl are probably goners, and maybe Voracek).
But next year is year 6, so we're not rebuilding from scratch, we're just finishing the job.
Where did that 7-8 year number come from?

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Trade for Tarasenko and Panarin is even more likely. Just have to deal Voracek to make room.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Frost-X
Laughton-Vorobyev-X

Panarin-Hughes-Farabee
Giroux-Couturier-Tarasenko
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Allison/Ratcliffe-Frost-O’Brien/Rubstov/Vorobyev

Didn’t include Lindblom as I could see him in a deal for Tarasenko if it ever happened.
It's actually really feasible, a scenario where we trade for Tarasenko with Voracek +
Sign Panarin
And have a 2nd line of:
It will be also possible to sign Stralman
Assuming you have Simmonds, Weise, Raffl, Voracek, Hagg out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad