2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Whatever needs to happen needs to be huge. This team is stale and has no energy. A big shakeup to the core needs to be made. Simmonds, Voracek, and others should all be on alert.

Reactions: flyersfan187

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I'm sorry, you must have me confused for some other member of the hive. :laugh: I never claimed (or thought) that Sanheim's metrics didn't benefit greatly from how Hakstol utilized him. Hakstol still sucks though, because playing Hagg & MacDonald WAY MORE than Sanheim should have been and will always be a firable offense. I'm not even talking metrics, just for the sake of the future of the club!

These aren't even the pairings I want. I don't like Sanheim playing on the right and I want to balance out the ice time of the top two pairs a little better.

Provorov / Ghost (fingers crossed it works again)
Sanheim / Gudas
Hagg (for now) / Myers

Make it so!
I would put either Provorov or Ghost with Myers and trade for a veteran RHD that can skate it out of the zone and efficiently pass it out of the zone unlike Folin that can't do either. Hagg can't really either but he is fine as a 7th. No wonder really that the Hagg/Folin combo is so bad.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Panarin/Skinner would add such needed speed and scoring from the wing.
Everybody is jumping on the Skinner bandwagon but this is only his first great season and wouldn't you know it's his contract year , i'm skeptical . Panarin would be easy winner for me .

Reactions: TheKingPin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Everybody is jumping on the Skinner bandwagon but this is only his first great season and wouldn't you know it's his contract year , i'm skeptical . Panarin would be easy winner for me .

He's 1 on my list too. Not overly worried about Skinner though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He was decent early in the year but has been kind of invisible of late but I never really liked him as a player, he is what he is, personally I’d be happy if they traded him OR made him a mainstay on the 4th line
I’d be actively looking to trade Laughton to see if you can still leverage his former first round status. I do not like him as a player at all. One of many flawed pieces of the roster.

Reactions: Domino666

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton is fine on the 4th line, whenever he gets promoted to the top 9 his flaws (lack of offensive instincts, puck handling) become evident.
Problem comes when you have to pay him $3M a year for a 4th line role - can't pay 6 bottom six guys $15-20M once we fill out the top 6 and pay our young D-men, see Toronto.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As frustrating as this season has become, the Flyers are poised, with the right moves and a little luck, to turn this around in two years like Winnipeg after 2015-16.

1) the farm system is still intact, and players are performing above expectations, almost no disappointments, Frost has raised his game, Ratcliffe on a 50 goal pace, Alison rounding into shape, Laczynski on a 1+ ppg pace, Farabee picking up from his junior performance, O'Brien finally healthy and producing, Wylie and Zamula coming out of nowhere for top D+1 seasons. The only let downs have been injuries to Rubtsov, Laberge and Kase, and the AHL players failing to step up as we'd hope. But almost no one is a "flop" that you have to write off.

2) the young core is getting experience, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim, Hart. Better they struggle in a lost year and grow. But they're healthy and hopefully learning.

3) They should get some serious assets at the TDL, Simmonds, Raffl, maybe Voracek, more picks for minor players like Weise, Folin, etc.

4) They don't need to add a whole lot, with Frost, Myers, Friedman, NAK, and maybe Farabee, Ratcliffe, Allison/Laczynski joining the team next year, and a deep AHL squad of prospects (Rubtsov, Laberge, Bunnaman, Twarynski, and a bunch of players from the CHL/SHL), there will be organizational depth.

5) With $10-20M in long-term cap room (have to account for RFA signings), excess prospects and draft picks from TDL trades, Fletcher should be able to trade for 1-2 players, sign 1-2 players, and with any luck get to draft a player who can start as a rookie or at worst in 2020-21 as a top 6 forward. So add a center, a RHD, and get a top young forward in the draft and instant upgrade.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Laughton is fine on the 4th line, whenever he gets promoted to the top 9 his flaws (lack of offensive instincts, puck handling) become evident.
Problem comes when you have to pay him $3M a year for a 4th line role - can't pay 6 bottom six guys $15-20M once we fill out the top 6 and pay our young D-men, see Toronto.
I can deal with Laughton on line 4, but I’d still rather see what I can get for him. I’d rather have someone even faster, better defensively, & more consistently aggressive than Laughton on the 4th line. Get what you can while people still remember he’s a former 1st rd pick. There are Phantoms I’d like better on line 4.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Skinner is a pretty damned good player. Scored 20+ goals in every year he's played over 70 games (except one), including multiple 30+ goal seasons. Also good two way guy. Entering his prime right now. If he is an option you go hard for him. He may not be a PPG player but a 55-65 point reliable 2-way guy is nothing to scoff at. I'd pay top dollar for that.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Skinner is a pretty damned good player. Scored 20+ goals in every year he's played over 70 games (except one), including multiple 30+ goal seasons. Also good two way guy. Entering his prime right now. If he is an option you go hard for him. He may not be a PPG player but a 55-65 point reliable 2-way guy is nothing to scoff at. I'd pay top dollar for that.

He’s kind of injury prone no?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Laughton is a 4th line placeholder who is an upgrade on what we have used there in the past. Nothing more.

Re-signing him makes sense in that he is a guy that can play wing or C depending on injuries. And he has ok/good speed....something we lack. And I think is good on the PK when not with Weise.

But I 100% lowball him into a cheap 1-2 year deal again....then move him when others are ready which like it will be another year. That gives Rusbtov, Ratcliffe and Farabee another year to develop.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He's not my first choice, but you're awfully dismissive of Skinner's career prior to this one. I mean, he just had 37 goals last season. He had three 30 goal seasons prior to this year in fact. This year he has a shot at 50 goals due to his crazy high shooting percentage so far. He's a good player.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Whatever needs to happen needs to be huge. This team is stale and has no energy. A big shakeup to the core needs to be made. Simmonds, Voracek, and others should all be on alert.

Agreed it’s time to move out a chunk of this roster.

Simmonds
Voracek
Gudas
Raffl
Macdonald
Weise

Reactions: RANKKA

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Panarin's the best fit for this team for sure.
I find it very unlikely that Panarin will come to Philly, despite many posters treating it as a foregone conclusion that the Flyers will be able to sign him.

Some people say, "If we get Quenneville we'll probably get Panarin, too." No one has answered my simple question of, "What makes you think Panarin loves Quenneville so much that it will dictate his choice in free agency?"

Panarin was traded by Quenneville's Blackhawks his 2nd year with the team; I haven't read anything indicating that Panarin had any kind of special bond with Quenneville; and there are rumors Panarin wants to play in a warm climate with access to beaches.

If I had to bet, Panarin signs with the Panthers, where he gets big money, no state income tax, and gets great weather, thereby maximizing his free agency.

Reactions: renberg and RANKKA

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I agree with you on Skinner's offense -- he's one of the best goal scorers in the NHL. But I disagree with you on his two-way play. I don't think he's a good two-way player at all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I find it very unlikely that Panarin will come to Philly, despite many posters treating it as a foregone conclusion that the Flyers will be able to sign him.

Some people say, "If we get Quenneville we'll probably get Panarin, too." No one has answered my simple question of, "What makes you think Panarin loves Quenneville so much that it will dictate his choice in free agency?"

Panarin was traded by Quenneville's Blackhawks his 2nd year with the team; I haven't read anything indicating that Panarin had any kind of special bond with Quenneville; and there are rumors Panarin wants to play in a warm climate with access to beaches.

If I had to bet, Panarin signs with the Panthers, where he gets big money, no state income tax, and gets great weather, thereby maximizing his free agency.
Well it was well known that Q liked Panarin and was pissed when he was traded.

I have not seen Florida mentioned....but have seen NYR as a likely destination.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Luckily we should have more options than Panarin this summer. Just go full Holmgren and spend all the cap space. Now is the time.

Reactions: TheKingPin

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If we get Q, I do really like our chances on Panarin.

Panarin should be the number one target imo.

This team could use a guy that can shoot, but they lack another speedy play driver more than anything else imo.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Panarin should be the number one target imo.

This team could use a guy that can shoot, but they lack another speedy play driver more than anything else imo.

Yeah there is no denying that. He would pump a lot of life into the offense.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Trade for Tarasenko and Panarin is even more likely. Just have to deal Voracek to make room.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Panarin-Patrick-Tarasenko
JVR-Frost-X
Laughton-Vorobyev-X

Panarin-Hughes-Farabee
Giroux-Couturier-Tarasenko
JVR-Patrick-Konecny
Allison/Ratcliffe-Frost-O’Brien/Rubstov/Vorobyev

Didn’t include Lindblom as I could see him in a deal for Tarasenko if it ever happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad