Sanheim - Gudas
MacDonald - Folin
Hagg

Elliott
Neuvirth

So excited to see this line. JVR will score a lot of goals :yo:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Mango with the truth. Voracek indeed is a dud.
mfAPLuk.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek is what he is, a very good player who will never play up to his athletic skill because he's not as focused on defense as he is on offense. He's frustrating, because you look at his size and speed and can envision a dominant forward instead of merely a very good one.

But he's a better player than say TK right now, TK struggled with every combination he played with last year except G and Couts, Voracek's advanced metrics were the same where ever he played, his points declined when his linemates couldn't score but it wasn't for lack of trying by V.

That's why Voracek could fit right on the second line with Patrick and Lindblom, and if need be, you could put him with Laughton - the only center he didn't do well with was Filppula, but there's some extenuating circumstances.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If the hockey gods smile apon us this should be our bottom 6

Lindblom frost Simmonds
Laughton Vorobyev raffl

With a reliable veteran on each line these kids are in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Benji007

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I've noticed that every fan base hates their coach, until they win, and they still hate them the next season when the team slips back.
Not sure too many coaches would have gotten last year's Flyer to the playoffs, bad goalies, no depth, 4 reliable forwards, 2 reliable defensemen.
As Hatcher pointed out, Hakstol is running a similar scheme to Gallant, except Gallant had a much deeper team, and oh yeah, MAF in goal.

Those excuses wont fly anymore. The only holes in our line up this year will be the ones he chooses to put in there...which is the issue everyone has with him. He actually has a really good team on paper now...with depth good enough to have guys like Lindblom and Simmonds on the 3rd line and guys like Raffl and Weal on the 4th. These were all guys who played in our top 6 at different points the last couple seasons, so the team is finally shaping up like it should. If the coach chooses to put those guys back in the top 6 and demote TK...or if he insists a guy like Lethera should be in the line up...then the depth falls apart...but that is on him. Deadhead even you can agree Lethera has no business being in the top 9 this year.

One thing I will give Hak credit for is that his boring calm day to day style is actually good for the dog days of the season. The team usually has a stretch each year where they get in a groove and gain a lot of points over a 20 game stretch or so because they just play their game. The problem with Hak is going to be the playoffs. His line up decisions easily cost the Flyers a shot in that series. They are going to need the best possible line up on the ice to beat a team like the Pens or Caps in the 1st round but his love for his shitty vets is going to prevent that every time.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
No show in playoffs though. Can't trust him.

His post season stats as a Flyer dips to .6 per game but big shock, his average BEFORE beet-boy showed up was .77 per game (slightly above his average) from 2011-2014.

Since Hak, he's dropped to .33 per game (12 games; 4 points).

His inability to matchup in the playoffs plays a big role in this imo. Getting your star players in the best position to succeed matters. K being dropped off the line for example.

I will say Jake can be frustrating at times but still an incredible winger we are lucky to have.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No coach was beating the Penguins with last year's team, reality check, they just weren't that talented.
Taking them to 6 games was about as much as anyone could reasonably expect, and they had a shot in that 6th game if Gudas doesn't meltdown.

Lehtera played 10 minutes a night, the bottom six basically sucked. Weal was the only one who should have played more, and he was inconsistent.
This year could be better if Ron can find a 3C - that's the key to this season.
However, with Couts playing 20+ and Patrick 18-20 minutes a night, we're talking 20-22 minutes between the 3C and 4C.
You can live with Laughton at 4C with Raffl and NAK until Vorobyev is ready, but Laughton is not a 3C, and I doubt Weal can handle it.
The only way Weise and Lehtera see the ice this year is if everyone else is injured or goes belly up. If they land a 3C, not sure there is room on the roster for Weal and Leier, much less those two.

This is a GM issue, but Ron has lots of assets and plenty of time, no reason to panic right now, see Vorobyev and Frost in camp, see who is willing to move a veteran C for cheap in late September.

Hakstol would have loved Ron to get him O'Reilly or Bozak to play 3C this year, that would have made making out a lineup card a breeze.
Right now bottom six center is a mess, but Ron's problem is he's looking at Frost, Vorobyev and Rubtsov in 2019-20, so he doesn't want to block them.
Ideally, find a solid RH C who can move to RW next year and replace Simmonds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His post season stats as a Flyer dips to .6 per game but big shock, his average BEFORE beet-boy showed up was .77 per game (slightly above his average) from 2011-2014.

Since Hak, he's dropped to .33 per game (12 games; 4 points).

His inability to matchup in the playoffs plays a big role in this imo. Getting your star players in the best position to succeed matters. K being dropped off the lineup for example.

I will say Jake can be frustrating at times but still an incredible winger we are lucky to have.

That has less to do with Hak than the decline in quality depth at forward, and Giroux's falloff at center.
Three years ago he was paired with Giroux, so can't blame Hak for the same combination that worked in the past.
Last year, Lindblom and Patrick struggled, so that dragged Voracek down.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
One thing I will give Hak credit for is that his boring calm day to day style is actually good for the dog days of the season. The team usually has a stretch each year where they get in a groove and gain a lot of points over a 20 game stretch or so because they just play their game.
ummm....what about the stretches where we lose 10 in a row?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I officially think Simmonds won't be traded until at the earliest the TDL. Hextall will see how this roster performs and if they are competing for a playoff spot keep him.

I hate the term "own rental" but that's basically what Simmonds is at this point. A guy you probably should trade but then want to add if you're looking to win some playoff games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I officially think Simmonds won't be traded until at the earliest the TDL. Hextall will see how this roster performs and if they are competing for a playoff spot keep him.

I hate the term "own rental" but that's basically what Simmonds is at this point. A guy you probably should trade but then want to add if you're looking to win some playoff games.
I agree. I think that is one reason Hextall wanted Allison to be in the AHL this coming year. If he played well and showed he was NHL ready thru the season, he could explore Simmonds offers.

But I think Simmonds is here to stay now.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
IF frost makes the team (which I dont consider likely since I think 3C is Laughtons to lose) then I think you have to consider leaving Patrick and Lindblom with Voracek to make a JVR, Frost, Simmonds line and giving them a ton of ozone draws. Shelter them defensively and hope they become Hartnell, Bridge, Leino.

Reactions: Rebels57

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Which, to be honest, is probably the smartest move at this point.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No coach was beating the Penguins with last year's team, reality check, they just weren't that talented.
Taking them to 6 games was about as much as anyone could reasonably expect, and they had a shot in that 6th game if Gudas doesn't meltdown.

Lehtera played 10 minutes a night, the bottom six basically sucked. Weal was the only one who should have played more, and he was inconsistent.
This year could be better if Ron can find a 3C - that's the key to this season.
However, with Couts playing 20+ and Patrick 18-20 minutes a night, we're talking 20-22 minutes between the 3C and 4C.
You can live with Laughton at 4C with Raffl and NAK until Vorobyev is ready, but Laughton is not a 3C, and I doubt Weal can handle it.
The only way Weise and Lehtera see the ice this year is if everyone else is injured or goes belly up. If they land a 3C, not sure there is room on the roster for Weal and Leier, much less those two.

This is a GM issue, but Ron has lots of assets and plenty of time, no reason to panic right now, see Vorobyev and Frost in camp, see who is willing to move a veteran C for cheap in late September.

Hakstol would have loved Ron to get him O'Reilly or Bozak to play 3C this year, that would have made making out a lineup card a breeze.
Right now bottom six center is a mess, but Ron's problem is he's looking at Frost, Vorobyev and Rubtsov in 2019-20, so he doesn't want to block them.
Ideally, find a solid RH C who can move to RW next year and replace Simmonds.

Any coach could've given them a better chance by not making horrible decisions.

The talent gap between the teams does non match the absysmal record. But once you account for things like Half eagerly trying to match Flip against Crosby, it makes sense.

Our roster cannot overcome such stupidity

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: