2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I agree. I think that is one reason Hextall wanted Allison to be in the AHL this coming year. If he played well and showed he was NHL ready thru the season, he could explore Simmonds offers.

But I think Simmonds is here to stay now.
I don't think it's that big of a deal signing simmer as long as there is not a no movement clause . He is completely tradeable if one of the kids can replace him down the road in the mean time he can help us it's really not that big of a deal .

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think it's that big of a deal signing simmer as long as there is not a no movement clause . He is completely tradeable if one of the kids can replace him down the road in the mean time he can help us it's really not that big of a deal .
except if he gets replaced by Patrick on the 1st PP unit and then all the sudden is a 3rd line RW getting paid 6 million a year while posting 30ish points.

But yes, have no no movement clause is a must in any re-signing which seems to be Hextalls MO anyways.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

"Tradeable" assumes that he doesn't rapidly decline, which is EXACTLY the concern many of us on the board have. And I would say that, at least statistically, he is guaranteed to decline since he will not be getting the PP1 time that he is used to getting. So really, how tradeable is a 30+ y/o, 15 goal a year rw at ~$7M a year?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hmm. JVR has had 24 and 23 goals the last two seasons at ES playing a 2nd/3rd line role.
I don't see much reason to expect JVR to rapidly decline, given his size (i.e. speed isn't as crucial to his game) and his improvement over the last few years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Opps. Of course we don't sign Simmer to a JVR type deal.

Simmonds is a 3rd line RW who scores on PP1 and can play PK, that has value but he'll be on the 4th line in three years here (behind Allison, Laczynski and O'Brien).

The comparable is probably Neal:

Neal 1.69 pp/60, Corsi 52.07%, CorsiRel, +0.45, xGF 51.68, xGFrel -1.08, PP 2.78 pp/60, no PK
Simmonds 1.43 pp/60, Corsi 50.14%, CorsiRel -0.46, xGF 49.33, xGFrel - 0.64, PP 4.50 pp/60, PK 4.57 xGA/60

Neal signed a 5yr/$28.75M contract at age 31 (in September).
Neal is a better ES player, Simmonds is a better PP player and a solid PK guy as well.
But I don't think Hextall wants Simmonds for 5 years starting in 2019-2020.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
JVR’s goal scoring is pretty impressive given his TOI. But it’s pretty clear he’s viewed as a defensive liability.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR has been sheltered, but he's also posted impressive xGF numbers the last three years, that's unlikely if he was still a defensive liability.
Not saying he'll ever get nominated for a Selke, but he's not the disaster area that some imply.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Not saying he'll ever get nominated for a Selke, but he's not the disaster area that some imply.

So you're saying your range for him is somewhere below Selke nods and not a defensive liability? Bold move.

It is interesting that you are still saying he was sheltered though, but why then was he sheltered? Just curious.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
JVR has been sheltered, but he's also posted impressive xGF numbers the last three years, that's unlikely if he was still a defensive liability.
I could be wrong, but it would seem to represent that he has extremely good offensive abilities.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR ES TOI, 14:57, 13:26, 12:35 - more a reflection of added talent, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Marner, Marleau, Hyman, Bozak was pushed down to 3C and JVR to 3LW. Yet each year JVR had one of the better GA/60 of the top forwards.

He has a much better xGF than TK for example. or Voracek the last three years.
Some of it is creating scoring chances, the other side is that his team isn't a scoring chance sieve when he's on the ice.
However, you do have to ask if you want JVR and Voracek on the same line. Neither is a great forechecker or back checker. How much do you ask of Patrick?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
JVR ES TOI, 14:57, 13:26, 12:35 - more a reflection of added talent, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Marner, Marleau, Hyman, Bozak was pushed down to 3C and JVR to 3LW. Yet each year JVR had one of the better GA/60 of the top forwards.

He has a much better xGF than TK for example. or Voracek the last three years.
Some of it is creating scoring chances, the other side is that his team isn't a scoring chance sieve when he's on the ice.
However, you do have to ask if you want JVR and Voracek on the same line. Neither is a great forechecker or back checker. How much do you ask of Patrick?
I'll take JVR first. V is worthless in his own end and when the playoffs start he'll go missing again.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
He's talking about Simmer, you commie bastard.
EmilyLitella.jpg

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
except if he gets replaced by Patrick on the 1st PP unit and then all the sudden is a 3rd line RW getting paid 6 million a year while posting 30ish points.

But yes, have no no movement clause is a must in any re-signing which seems to be Hextalls MO anyways.
Does a healthy Simmer get replaced by Patrick on the #1 power play . They might try to build two units and balance them more in time , who knows . Patrick has been injury proned for a while now so having Simmer for a while to find out can't be to bad but yes 6 mil a year for third liner is not great . We have this year to find this out anyways .

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
My roster idea for this year updated since the JVR signing.

1st line:
Giroux
Couturier
Konecny

2nd line:
Frost
Patrick
Voracek

... Yes, Frost at LW. Let the kid get his feet wet without all the defensive pressures of playing C. Put him in a position to succeed.

3rd line:
JVR
Vorobyev
Lindblom

... Voro is ready. I am certain. Lindblom gets the nod over Simmer. Give him a chance to see if his scoring can catch up to his good possession metrics. JVR gives this line a needed veteran. Plus JVR being sheltered works to his strengths.

4th line:
Raffl
Laughton
Simmonds

... No slugs. A pretty ideal 4th line.

X: Weal

_______

1st pair:
Provorov
Gostisbehere

2nd pair:
Sanheim
Gudas

3rd pair:
MacDonald
Myers

X: Hagg
X: Folin

________

1st PP:
Patrick - JVR
Giroux - Gostisbehere
Sanheim

... I love the thought of Ghost on the right wall unleashing his 1-timer, which is neutered up top. Patrick over Simmer is a no-brainer. Unleash Sanheim.

2nd PP:
Simmonds - Couturier
Konecny - Voracek
Provorov

... 2nd PP unit uses exact same set up as 1st. TK plays the role of Giroux and Provorov is up top. The other 3 play there usual role. A functional 2nd unit needs to be made a priority.

_________

1st PK:
Couturier - Simmonds
Provorov - Gudas

2nd PK:
Laughton - Raffl
MacDonald - Myers

... Eventually Vorobyev should get this 2nd PK role once he settles in. A smarter, better defensive player than Laughton (sorry haters).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only if Hakstol is coach. His playoff stats when he has a coach who can manage an NHL roster are much better.

Of course, that's when he had Giroux at his peak at center.
Somehow I don't think the coach had much to do with it, two years ago he was still paired with Giroux, but to no avail.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So you're saying your range for him is somewhere below Selke nods and not a defensive liability? Bold move.

It is interesting that you are still saying he was sheltered though, but why then was he sheltered? Just curious.

He played primarily with Bozak & Marner last year. Kadri & Matthews’ lines more so took on the other teams top six lines than they did. They more so took on other teams bottom six lines & feasted on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->