Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He didn't exactly "lean" on them.

MacDonald 4th in PO minutes at 18:49
Manning 5th at 17:38
Filppula played less than 19 year old Patrick, 16:08 to 16:38
Lehtera 10:36, Read 12:38

You can't hide your crap against a good, deep team.
And when your goalies have a collective .852 S%, really, nothing is going to work.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Sure they can. They can, and they have in the past as well. Flip, Lehtera, Manning, Macdonald, those are guys who can't go head to head with anyone. And those were guys that Hakstol leaned on.
All those guys played better in the playoffs then our stars and we all watched that. Don't like any of them but if Lethera can somehow play the year like he did at the end he'll be fine there at the 4th line hole.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He played primarily with Bozak & Marner last year. Kadri & Matthews’ lines more so took on the other teams top six lines than they did. They more so took on other teams bottom six lines & feasted on them.

Three years ago, JVR, playing top minutes, put up 1.71 pp/60, Corsi 54.61, CorsiRel +7.05, xGF 55.57, xGFrel +4.79 - he made a huge jump that year and continued that performance even as his minutes were reduced.
Toronto had a deep forward group the last two years and basically played 8 forwards a similar amount of time at ES.
2016-17: 12:54 to 14:19 (except Matthews 15:05)
2017-18: 12:30 to 14:39 (except Matthews 15:57)
Last year Couts 16:28, Giroux 16:05, Voracek 15:56.
So JVR's smaller role reflected both depth and Bowman's desire to spread the minutes around.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No not at all. G,V,Ghost stunk and didn't do **** all. The rest brought it the best they could and if those 3 would have played somewhat good we would have had a better chance. Same thing will happen this year.

playoffs are all about match ups and the Flyers drew a team in round 1 that they clearly dont match up well against. Not trying to make excuses. Just saying the whole team was a poor match up against Pittsburgh last season.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
playoffs are all about match ups and the Flyers drew a team in round 1 that they clearly dont match up well against. Not trying to make excuses. Just saying the whole team was a poor match up against Pittsburgh last season.
Agreed but it best can't play that bad ever again in the playoffs ever.

Reactions: Benji007

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
All those guys played better in the playoffs then our stars and we all watched that. Don't like any of them but if Lethera can somehow play the year like he did at the end he'll be fine there at the 4th line hole.

Right, I liked Lehtera's compete level at the end and I think that his deficiencies were only compounded by playing with Fillpula.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right, I liked Lehtera's compete level at the end and I think that his deficiencies were only compounded by playing with Fillpula.

He was just about the worst forward in the NHL last season. Lets not pretend Flip was dragging him down.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Of course. I'm not saying that he's good, just that he has some niches that could make his placement on a bottom-six line compelling if he's sheltered with better linemates.

He is an absolutely terrible hockey player now. His skating has negated any of his positive attributes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was just about the worst forward in the NHL last season. Lets not pretend Flip was dragging him down.

Actually, there were some worse forwards (400+ minutes):
Johan Larsson
Zac Rinaldo
Dale Weiss
Tage Thompson
Jay Beagle
Gabriel Bourque
Radim Vrbata
Chris Wagner

But not many.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Actually, there were some worse forwards (400+ minutes):
Johan Larsson
Zac Rinaldo
Dale Weiss
Tage Thompson
Jay Beagle
Gabriel Bourque
Radim Vrbata
Chris Wagner

But not many.

I find Wagner a strange fellow for this list. I know he was waived several times but I always assumed that he would be a decent bottom-six C on the cheap.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I know, right? I just loved Lehtera's effort on this play with the entire season potentially on the line:

Look at that effort. I mean, he can't skate and he goes from having a 6 foot head start on Barzal to being 6 foot behind him, but does that stop my man Jori? Not even a little bit. He goes all out and ignores the futility of it. Voracek wouldn't have skated that hard. Of course, he wouldn't have had to, since he can skate and would have been able to keep up with Barzal in the first place, but no matter.

You clearly win with the Jori Lehteras of the world.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I know, right? I just loved Lehtera's effort on this play with the entire season potentially on the line:

Look at that effort. I mean, he can't skate and he goes from having a 6 foot head start on Barzal to being 6 foot behind him, but does that stop my man Jori? Not even a little bit. He goes all out and ignores the futility of it. Voracek wouldn't have skated that hard. Of course, he wouldn't have had to, since he can skate and would have been able to keep up with Barzal in the first place, but no matter.

Pffffffft.

How quickly people forget Jori leaving the fleet of foot Marchand in his dust for a shortie.

A hard offseason of training and I bet Jori can tap into even more of that latent speed. I wouldn't bet against him being 3C and a mainstay PKer again.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Pffffffft.

How quickly people forget Jori leaving the fleet of foot Marchand in his dust for a shortie.

A hard offseason of training and I bet Jori can tap into even more of that latent speed. I wouldn't bet against him being 3C and a mainstay PKer again.

Jackson & Jones could barely contain their laughter.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Pffffffft.

What a finish!

That was the only way he could score last year. Just fling everything 5 hole and pray.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Bad play by the d.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You what's bad is all the so called bad players out played the top. That's would not have happened with poulin, Clarke, lindros teams. They would have been the best but lost in the first round.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, the Flyers' PK was excellent against the Penguins, the best power play in the league.
4D: Provorov, Gudas, Macdonald, Manning
4F: Read, Couts, Filppula, Lehtera

3rd highest Corsi, 5th in GA/60, 2nd in xGA/60, last in S% of 16 teams.

Partially a SSS fluke, but also a testament to the fact that experience matters in the playoffs.

Playoff scoring since 2010 (100+ 5x5 minutes):
Briere 2.45
Versteeg 2.33
Couts 1.87
Richards 1.76
JVR 1.74 [1.08 in Toronto]
Voracek 1.46
Giroux 1.45
B Schenn 1.40
Simmonds 1.19
Leino 1.18
Hartnell 1.11
Read 0.94
Raffl 0.57

Provorov 1.80
Gustafsson 1.32
Meszaros 1.06
O'Donnell 1.00
Carle 0.85
Coburn 0.77
MacDonald 0.61
Manning 0.32
Kimmo 0.30
Grossman 0.30
Streit 0.30
Gudas 0.00
Ghost 0.00

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Bad play by the d.

Ghost literally did everything he possibly could have done on that play. Lehtera - who was playing center and was in position to make that a nothing play - f***ING STARTS OFF WITH A 6 FOOT HEADSTART JUST INSIDE ONE BLUE LINE AND THEN IS BEHIND BARZAL BY 6 FEET AT THE OTHER BLUE LINE DESPITE SKATING HIS f***ING HEART OUT, AND OH, BY THE WAY, BARZAL TAKES LIKE 3 f***ING STEPS AT MOST TO GET AROUND HIM AND THEN JUST f***ING GLIDES THE REST OF THE WAY IN TO THE NET COMPLETELY UNMOLESTED.

I'm sure Jori is a great dude who puts the work in and gives 100% every night. It doesn't matter, because he doesn't f***ing belong in the NHL because he can't f***ing skate. He LOSES YOU HOCKEY GAMES.

Put Scott Laughton (who was healthy scratched this game, btw) out there in Jori's place and Barzal doesn't score.

Bad player, bad coaching, bad result.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ghost literally did everything he possibly could have done on that play. Lehtera - who was playing center and was in position to make that a nothing play - ****ING STARTS OFF WITH A 6 FOOT HEADSTART JUST INSIDE ONE BLUE LINE AND THEN IS BEHIND BARZAL BY 6 FEET AT THE OTHER BLUE LINE DESPITE SKATING HIS ****ING HEART OUT, AND OH, BY THE WAY, BARZAL TAKES LIKE 3 ****ING STEPS AT MOST TO GET AROUND HIM AND THEN JUST ****ING GLIDES THE REST OF THE WAY IN TO THE NET COMPLETELY UNMOLESTED.

I'm sure Jori is a great dude who puts the work in and gives 100% every night. It doesn't matter, because he doesn't ****ing belong in the NHL because he can't ****ing skate. He LOSES YOU HOCKEY GAMES.

Put Scott Laught0n (who was healthy scratched this game, btw) out there in Jori's place and Barzal doesn't score.

Bad player, bad coaching, bad result.
Provy didn't need to pinch just play the lane and nothing happens. He'll learn and the puck is faster than players if moved right and Laughton even though would have got closer he still wouldn't have caught him and its still provys fault for even putting players in that spot after tying the game. Orland kurtenbach was my coach and if any of our d pulled that shit they would sit but that's why we were champions though.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Provy didn't need to pinch just play the lane and nothing happens. He'll learn and the puck is faster than players if moved right and Laughton even though would have got closer he still wouldn't have caught him and its still provys fault for even putting players in that spot after tying the game. Orland kurtenbach was my coach and if any of our d pulled that **** they would sit but that's why we were champions though.

You don't seem to understand. Lehtera is IN POSITION to get back in time. If he possesses even average NHL skating he's able to tie up Barzal. If he possesses above average skating, he nullifies Barzal with that headstart no question. Provorov's mistake is not realizing that he had the NHL's worst skater in Jori f***ing Lehtera covering for him.

And you know who really f***ed up by putting the players in that spot after they tied the game? f***ing Hakstol, because who the f*** could have predicted that running out the Lehtera line against the Barzal line after just tying the game up could have ended in disaster. Oh, wait, all of us f***ing random ass hockey fans would have predicted exactly that.

And I'm guessing you were a champion on the 1976 Tulsa Oilers in the 6 team Central Hockey League. That's a f*** ton more than I've ever accomplished in hockey, which was a so-so second liner playing for shits and giggles in a D league with a bunch of MBA candidates, most of whom would make Lehtera look like prime Paul Coffey out there. And yet it still doesn't mean anything because you're completely out to lunch on this.

Lehtera sucks. Hakstol sucks. Voracek doesn't. It's that f***ing simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->