Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Have Dakstol.
Yeah, that's why I specifically said "shouldn't", not "wouldn't". :laugh:

However, if it was a vet pairing that performed horribly, that shit would be stuck together and not even the jaws of life could separate them. Like Manning-Gudas was, for example.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Why would you want to trade Rubtsov when he has almost no trade value?
Sell high, buy low, not the other way around.

Rubtsov came to mind as a lame strategic offering for a Centre-starved team that would have a particular affinity for players in the Q, especially ones that have just won the Memorial Cup. I am less looking to dump Rubtsov when he is down than finding a decent player who plays a position of need for them.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Other teams won't want to trade for Rubstov for the same reason anyone here would want to trade him.

Unproven and coming off a down year, so we wouldn't get enough to make it worth trading him. Better to just stick with him and hope he has a better year next year.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Other teams won't want to trade for Rubstov for the same reason anyone here would want to trade him.

Unproven and coming off a down year, so we wouldn't get enough to make it worth trading him. Better to just stick with him and hope he has a better year next year.

On a general scale, yes, of course. There is no reason to actively shop Rubtsov given his marginal value. But my point is that, in a conversation about an asset who would make sense for the Flyers, bringing up Rubtsov's name to a team in dire need of a C may hit on someone who would value him just enough to make that one specific deal work. The first round pick in my proposal would be the main piece, but for Hextall to say, "Here is a mystery-box player with a high enough pedigree that we chose him in the first round" could have appeal, particularly for a franchise with few quality prospects to speak of. If not, in this hypothetical scenario, Hextall moves on without any urgency to make a deal.

Reactions: Striiker

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Now that JVR is back in the fold the top 6 is looking better as for the bottom 6 one would have to go between Lethera, Weise or Leier to AHL.
Hextall also needs 6/7 defenseman unless he plans on having Philippe Myers with the Flyers from opening night.

Line 1 LW Giroux C Couturier RW Konecny
Line 2 LW Van Riemsdyk C Patrick RW Voracek
Line 3 LW Lindblom C Vorobyov RW Simmonds
Line 4 LW Weal C Laughton RW Raffl

Scratched List
C Lehtera
RW Weise
LW Leier

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Now that JVR is back in the fold the top 6 is looking better as for the bottom 6 one would have to go between Lethera, Weise or Leier to AHL.
Hextall also needs 6/7 defenseman unless he plans on having Philippe Myers with the Flyers from opening night.

Scratched List
C Lehtera
RW Weise
LW Leier

Raffl plays lw

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Scratched List
C Lehtera
RW Weise
LW Leier

That's a fairly large Center group there.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Martel, Bardreau, Aube-Kubel, Myers, Willcox, Varone, Knight, Lyon, Stolarz, Kase, Vorobyev, Vecchione, Goulbourne, in no particular order, are all AHL/NHL tweeners to some extent. That's a lot of players right at the door.

Not sure I understand penciling in Weise and Lehtera as the 13th and 14th forwards. I think Lehtera even has some chance of getting released, no?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Hextall would rather eat Lehtera's salary this year (and another year of Weise and MacDonald) than push the money forward - because in the NHL you can't roll over cap room. Next year he might buy out Weise and MacDonald and get all three off the books by 2021-22.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If the Flyers can add a third line center and have Myers ready to make the jump I wouldn't mind keeping Simmonds even if he is only here one more year to help with a playoff push before he cashes in. Elliot/Neuvy if healthy would be good enough to play in the playoffs if the PK is actually fixed. You fix the PK and the goalies will be better. Neuvy can be great but you need to be lucky on his health at the right moment.

Giroux/Couts/TK
JVR/Patrick/Voracek
Lindblom/trade/Simmonds
Raffl/Laughton/Weal or NAK or whatever prospect takes it

Provy/Ghost
Sanheim/Myers
MacDonald/Gudas
Hagg

Elliot/Neuvy

Thank you very much and this team with JVR, Patrick and Simmonds will have three of the better puck handlers right in front of the net.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
Ask yourself why does Hextall really have 14m in cap space left?

Bobby Ryan + Ek
???

With the possibility of removing Simmonds, Lehtera, Macdonald also.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

Bobby Ryan + Ek
???

First, EK had a serious achilles injury and did not play great next season. I don't know why this is not discussed more, but it would make me worry about signing him long term.

Two, you would have to give up alot to trade for him.

Three, it looks like he is not going to agree to a long term deal until the end of the season.

There is no reason to give up huge assets for a player who may never fully recover and could walk at the end of the season.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Bobby Ryan + Ek
???
I think Karlsson would be here without Ryan. If Ryan comes with Karlsson in s hypothetical move here, Lehtera would have to be included. I don’t think they are trading Macdonald. Especially since he is housing the Humbolt kid that is getting therapy in philly.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
I think Karlsson would be here without Ryan. If Ryan comes with Karlsson in s hypothetical move here, Lehtera would have to be included. I don’t think they are trading Macdonald. Especially since he is housing the Humbolt kid that is getting therapy in philly.
Adding Bobby lowers the value and we have cap space. Plus I meant next season they get even more cap room with Lehtera and possibly a Macdonald buyout. Plus a possible Wayne Simmonds trade for raises for the kids.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Adding Bobby lowers the value and we have cap space. Plus I meant next season they get even more cap room with Lehtera and possibly a Macdonald buyout. Plus a possible Wayne Simmonds trade for raises for the kids.
I don’t see Macdonald being bought out. He is still a serviable defenseman. I wouldn’t buy him out. I would just keep the salary for one more year and move on. We would be in a cap crunch at that moment then tough.

I just think it makes no sense for us to go sign JVR and then not improve the other glaring hole. We need one more top 4 defenseman. I’m not hopeful we trade for Karlsson but even a guy like Da Haan would round out our top 4. Sanheim on the third pairing with Gudas.

Reactions: Tripod

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I have been reading some saying move Giroux back to centre....while he can and has been great there after this past season why would you even consider it?
I know we have just picked up JVR but that shouldn't warrant moving Roo back to centre ice - I think it just solidifies our top 6. Mint.

1. Roo - Coots - TK
2. JVR - Patrick - Voracek

:naughty::crossfing

3. Lindblom - Frost (may make the team)/Shore (FA)/Laughton - Simmonds

4. Raffl/Weal/Laughton(if we get Shore as a FA) - Vorobyov - Raffl/Weal

I would like for the bottom 6 to be VERY adaptable. I believe this set-up and mix of players would allow for that - almost like having two - 3rd lines.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
These Goalies are also not good enough. I would really like to upgrade that spot. Would be nice to see Carter Hart explode onto the scene sooner than later but that may be wishful thinking. Right now, I'll just hope Lyon continues his success from the end of last season and knocks one of our "starters" out. I'm over hoping for a healthy Neuvy....seems like a lost cause. And........f*** you Elliot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad