2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If we did that deal for Petry, it just would mean that both he and AMac would be in the lineup....not instead of.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Too much for Petry IMO. He reminds me a lot of Coburn. Not really one aspect he excels at. His offense this past season was way out of line with his career. Id like to add him at a lower price though of course.

With Weber out for most of the season, Petry was playing a lot of first-line minutes for the Canadiens and didn't look out of place with the heavy lifting. I see him as a very good #3, and a RHD to boot. Rubtsov is expendable for the right player coming back but won't have the same value to other teams that he has to us. The Canadiens may in theory put a bit more value because they are so centre-desperate and he's got that new Memorial Cup shine.

Reactions: Rebels57

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
If we did that deal for Petry, it just would mean that both he and AMac would be in the lineup....not instead of.

Yes, probably, which is what I reflected in my mock D lineup. But it should be sufficient veteranness to push MacDonald to the third pairing. And if Myers can beat out Hagg for #6, that wouldn't be a horrible thing. Gudas should, in theory, garner a better return than MacDonald.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With Weber out for most of the season, Petry was playing a lot of first-line minutes for the Canadiens and didn't look out of place with the heavy lifting. I see him as a very good #3, and a RHD to boot. Rubtsov is expendable for the right player coming back but won't have the same value to other teams that he has to us. The Canadiens may in theory put a bit more value because they are so centre-desperate and he's got that new Memorial Cup shine.

Id be okay moving Rubstov but just not sure I want a 30 year old Petry coming back. He would prevent Myers from a top 4 spot too.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'd give Tavares 7/77 million tomorrow. That gives them 5-6 years to make a run with:

Giroux-Tavares-Konecny
XXX-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Frost

Ghost-Provorov
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg/whoever

Hart/Stolarz/UFA

If guys like Allison, Ratcliffe, Rubstov, or any the picks over the next 3-4 years turn out, that's an insane roster. Hextall will have more than enough ELC's and bridge deals to carry the cap structure.

If need be, Tavares could move to wing down the road as well.

Reactions: Ruck Over

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I like Petry but I don't like 30 years old and having to give up what it would take to get him. Most importantly, I really dislike a 5.5 million AAV for him for several years. That is just asking for trouble, I'll pass.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Id be okay moving Rubstov but just not sure I want a 30 year old Petry coming back. He would prevent Myers from a top 4 spot too.

Does anyone think that a second pairing of Sanheim / Myers is realistic under the current administration? I am looking for a very good veteran to pair with Sanheim, and Myers can work his way onto the team on the third pairing. It would also open the door to move one of the current vets (hint hint) .

Outside of the Doughty / Karlsson fever dream, someone like Petry provides a very good top-4 presence who checks the vet box and can play in all 3 zones. Three years at a salary and cap half a mil more than MacDonald is great value. And 30 is fine for a defenseman.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Does anyone think that a second pairing of Sanheim / Myers is realistic under the current administration? I am looking for a very good veteran to pair with Sanheim, and Myers can work his way onto the team on the third pairing. It would also open the door to move one of the current vets (hint hint) .

Outside of the Doughty / Karlsson fever dream, someone like Petry provides a very good top-4 presence who checks the vet box and can play in all 3 zones. Three years at a salary and cap half a mil more than MacDonald is great value. And 30 is fine for a defenseman.

Not in 18-19 but 19-20 I expect Sanheim and Myers in the top 4 with Ghost and Provorov.

If you can get rid of MacDonald and trade for Petry id be down.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Andrew Macdonald, 14th overall, 2019 1st rounder, German rubstov, conditional 2-3 rounder

For

Erik Karlsson and Booby Ryan.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I'd trade Rubtsov + Gudas for Tanev. If possible. All 3 of these pairings could be solid for the next 5 years. Morin can rotate Hagg out when healthy. Macdonald will be the spare. and Myers and Sanheim both play with "Veterans" Morin/Hagg let ghost run around.

Pair 1: Provorov -- Myers
Pair 2 : Hagg -- Gostisbehere
Pair 3 : Sanheim -- Tanev

7th : Macdonald

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People really want to trade the 19th pick + German for Jeff Petry? What the heck, guys? :pout:

Id trade Rubstov in the right deal.

Id trade for Petry in the right deal and if MacDonald is also a goner.

I wouldnt trade Rubstov + 19 for Petry though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd trade Rubtsov + Gudas for Tanev. If possible. All 3 of these pairings could be solid for the next 5 years. Morin can rotate Hagg out when healthy. Macdonald will be the spare. and Myers and Sanheim both play with "Veterans" Morin/Hagg let ghost run around.

Pair 1: Provorov -- Myers
Pair 2 : Hagg -- Gostisbehere
Pair 3 : Sanheim -- Tanev

7th : Macdonald

That might be worse.

And then Hagg with Ghost and Sanheim-Tanev the 3rd pair?

Yeesh.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They basically need to subtract both MacDonald & Hagg from the top four & one of them completely from the lineup altogether. If there’s no willingness to do that then it doesn’t really matter.

Theyll both get top 4 minutes like last year.

This team is doomed until Hak is gone. Sad reality.

Last edited:

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
I think I am experiencing an epiphany about this site. I tossed out a poorly-thought-out theoretical deal and the more it gets criticized, the more I feel the need to defend it to the death and show everyone that I am a brilliant hockey mind. It's like each post that calls it into question is a flaming insult against my own children.

Huh, I have seen into the soul of HF Boards.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Id trade Rubstov in the right deal.

Id trade for Petry in the right deal and if MacDonald is also a goner.

I wouldnt trade Rubstov + 19 for Petry though.

I think that is less value than Petry holds, particularly to the Canadiens. 19th will return a very good player but Rubtsov hasn't set the Q on fire, from the perspective of the outside NHL. Maybe if Hextall adds Hagg. :sarcasm:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think I am experiencing an epiphany about this site. I tossed out a poorly-thought-out theoretical deal and the more it gets criticized, the more I feel the need to defend it to the death and show everyone that I am a brilliant hockey mind. It's like each post that calls it into question is a flaming insult against my own children.

Huh, I have seen into the soul of HF Boards.

As long as you felt the necessary amount of shame, we can move on, Bern.......but not until your Maoist-style "struggle session" scheduled for Thursday. :naughty:

-------------------------------

(I think Petry is a solid, underrated -- though not underpaid -- defenseman who can provide a lot of what MacDonald pretends to, and he is RHD, though his scoring benefitted from a weak Canadiens blue line. I just wouldn't move a top 20 pick alone for him, and I imagine no team would. Rubtsov doesn't hold a ton of value anyway league-wide, and we're better off keeping him than selling low. Montreal acquired him for a 2nd+5th when he was younger and cheaper. He also has a 15 team NTC. Hagg+ sounds good though!)

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't get pulling the Ghost Provorov pair apart. Ghost didn't look good in the playoffs but they do a good job of pushing the play forward and out of the zone.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get pulling the Ghost Provorov pair apart. Ghost didn't look good in the playoffs but they do a good job of pushing the play forward and out of the zone.

They were phenomenal together last season. One of the very best D pairs in the NHL. They not only drove play exceptionally, but they surpressed scoring chances too. They are an elite top pair in my eyes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A handful of bad games in the playoffs shouldn't be enough to split the pair up in the future. Especially considering who they were playing and that Provorov was injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad