hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
112917-fire-hak-web1511981388690_7000k_1920x1080_1106103875816.jpg
Even before him

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not really. If you look at that link it shows that people were fine with it. The general sentiment was "a bit too long but it's ok".
Which thread? The one you linked to or I linked to?

I agree the majority of posters here were mostly ok with it, even while not liking the term, but there were definitely more negative sentiments mixed in after the terms were announced than I think you acknowledge. It wasn’t a universally praised deal. A number of posters thought it was a bad deal once the details were released.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...gn-dale-weise-and-boyd-gordon.2095363/page-29

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Which thread? The one you linked to or I linked to?

I agree the majority of posters here were mostly ok with it, even while not liking the term, but there were definitely more negative sentiments mixed in after the terms were announced than I think you acknowledge. It wasn’t a universally praised deal. A number of posters thought it was a bad deal once the details were released.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...gn-dale-weise-and-boyd-gordon.2095363/page-29
The posters saying it was a bad deal were rare.

I'd say the most common opinion was that it wasn't an ideal contract but they were satisfied with the addition.

Regardless, my point was that saying everyone hated it was far from the truth.

Reactions: BernieParent

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Ooooh boy, I am clearly not very popular here today. That's fine. I knew the Giroux idea would not go over well with some. All your best players on 1 line. Anything else is horrible. Got it.

Apparently even mentioning the name Derek Ryan as a 4th line FA option has me in some hot water as well. My bad.

I'll just be over here waiting patiently for others to have some FA forward ideas that could be had on a 1 year deal and are markedly better since I'm so dumb today.

What I'll probably get instead is a bunch of KrazyKat wannabe cockamamie trade ideas.
Not picking on you, I was actually quoting Magua. Anyway, Derek Ryan's career-long inadequacies are no reflection on either of you. LOL! :)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who has left in recent years and gotten better? Schenn? Because he's playing on the 1st line instead of the 3rd line? But he hasn't helped his linemates.

As far as Ryan:

"The issue with Derek Ryan is that he is a small forward that doesn’t necessarily have the speed or the hands to make up for his lack of size. There are a lot of times that he is able to get bodied off of the puck. As a center, his role is also to get in front of the net, but without the size, he doesn’t become a pesky presence. This also affects his defense."

Gee, now what current Flyer and Striiker favorite does that sound like?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
From a pure offensive production stand point a fourth line of Laughton-Beagle-Raffl should yield two 10-15 goal scorers and three guys who have 20-30 points. Beagle has also had 10 and 13 goal seasons over the last four years.
Trotz liked to put him on top line from time to time. Sounds familiar?

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I’ve never understood why people say making a big splash in free agency(I’m paraphrasing) isn’t what hextall does. He has never had cap space like he has this summer. This is the first summer we actually have this kind of room.

Now if he doesn’t make a big splash this summer, I will understand that narrative.
If he makes a big splash this off-season I will gladly eat a dumptruck worth of crow, but with saying that I’m going to go ahead and say he doesn’t make any big splashes this off season

Reactions: Ruck Over

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Nor should he , you don't need to make those moves till you are closer to actual competeing with the elite. Making big splash now will just tie your hands when you need room to add the last peice or two. We need top goalie top d and atleast 2 top forwards and some of our young players to get a little more experience before we are ready,so why the heck would you want to add now.

Reactions: Stizzle

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Tavares people! Tell me when was the last time center of that quality was headed for free agency?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think if we hadn't lucked into Patrick, Ron would be all over Tavares, but the marginal value isn't there for the Flyers, he's doesn't seem like the type that would be a great move to wing (at least not for $11-12M).

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Who has left in recent years and gotten better? Schenn? Because he's playing on the 1st line instead of the 3rd line? But he hasn't helped his linemates.

As far as Ryan:

"The issue with Derek Ryan is that he is a small forward that doesn’t necessarily have the speed or the hands to make up for his lack of size. There are a lot of times that he is able to get bodied off of the puck. As a center, his role is also to get in front of the net, but without the size, he doesn’t become a pesky presence. This also affects his defense."

Gee, now what current Flyer and Striiker favorite does that sound like?
This is EXACTLY why I want no parts of Derek Ryan. It's just a prime example of where things go beyond primary and advanced stats. You have to look at how a guy is going to fit in with a team. The Flyers need to add speed, size, and toughness. In addition to not thinking that Ryan is going to continue to be a productive player I think he is a terrible fit based on the Flyers needs and what he brings to table.

Reactions: hatcher

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's funny looking at these teams and other teams that were recently eliminated that have guys on the roster that people on here (myself included) have talked about how bad some of these players are and how they aren't good enough to win and we wouldn't be interested etc or just aren't good hockey players. Guys like Justin Schultz, PEB, Engelland, Eller, DSP, and probably a bunch more if I looked deeper at yhese rosters.

This is why I don't get the negativity around here sometimes. Omg we can't win if we have Filpula on this team or Weise or PEB or whomever. Not every player is going to be a superstar and you can win a Cup even kf you have guys on the team that aren't that good. If you're sixth defenseman plays like a sixth defenseman, that's ok. If your bottom line plays like a bottom line, that's ok.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's funny looking at these teams and other teams that were recently eliminated that have guys on the roster that people on here (myself included) have talked about how bad some of these players are and how they aren't good enough to win and we wouldn't be interested etc or just aren't good hockey players. Guys like Justin Schultz, PEB, Engelland, Eller, DSP, and probably a bunch more if I looked deeper at yhese rosters.

This is why I don't get the negativity around here sometimes. Omg we can't win if we have Filpula on this team or Weise or PEB or whomever. Not every player is going to be a superstar and you can win a Cup even kf you have guys on the team that aren't that good. If you're sixth defenseman plays like a sixth defenseman, that's ok. If your bottom line plays like a bottom line, that's ok.
The issue isn't just that though. It's that at times we had ALL of them playing at the same times and at important times of the games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The issue isn't just that though. It's that at times we had ALL of them playing at the same times and at important times of the games.
No I know. It's not like one of these guys makes a difference, it's just funny during this time of year when some guys come up it's commonplace to see us say "yo this guys sucks he's barely an NHLer" or whatever and then we see them getting Cup rings. Obviously having a Crosby/Ovechkin/etc. makes having those guys easier to swallow.

Reactions: deadhead and Tripod

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Flyers scored 109 goals away from Giroux. I don't get the negativity either when talking about depth players. As if it's their fault Mason can't stop the puck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No I know. It's not like one of these guys makes a difference, it's just funny during this time of year when some guys come up it's commonplace to see us say "yo this guys sucks he's barely an NHLer" or whatever and then we see them getting Cup rings. Obviously having a Crosby/Ovechkin/etc. makes having those guys easier to swallow.

It's really about having enough depth so you're not asking your bottom players to do to much or play too much.
Lehtera playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line wasn't a problem, Filppula playing 17 minutes a night as the de facto 2C as Patrick got healthy was a problem.

It's not that we can't have a couple mediocre veterans at the bottom of the roster, it's just that we can't have a half dozen forwards and a bunch of 3rd pair defensemen playing above their pay grade.
If we added a 3C with Laughton and Simmonds on the third line, and had Lehtera/Filppula center Raffl and NAK on the 4th line until Vorobyev was ready to be promoted, we'd be fine. Or if MV/Bardreau/Knight could take a job in training camp.
Same with MacDonald and Gudas with Sanheim and Myers.

But that's why it was a rebuild, Hextall didn't want to spend assets on guys who'd play on the bottom six when he use those assets could build up depth so we don't have to play scrubs on the bottom six/3rd pair in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad