Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I dunno if putting a young center at center is necessarily a matter of "rushing" really. Sometimes easing in at wing is better, sometimes it isn't. Maybe that's just not what they feel would be best for Casey developmentally.

And that's fine if they made that decision, but that decision shouldn't be etched in stone just 47 games into his career . If a player is not showing any real progress, then you may need to review the situation, and determine if they should continue for the moment. At least see if he responds being put on the wing and if that jump starts him. He might find that bit of confidence in his game playing the wing, with less pressure on him, that could catapult him into playing better at center down the road. I'm not asking for him being stapled at wing for the rest of his career, but I'm asking for flexibility. You have a guy in Eichel on your team who can do wonders for your young players. He can provide them that confidence, which we have seen over and over again can make a difference for a player.

His best performances came during the his time with Sheary and Reinhart. Since then, he really hasn't put together a string of games where he has played well, and IMO, he hasn't put together a solid game. He has shown flashes and moments, but not that full game.

I'm not even down on him as a player. I like Casey, IMO, he could become just as good as Kucherov and have the same impact on the game (even if one is a winger and one is a center) if developed well. Again, MY opinion.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Smith-Sobotka-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
Wilson

Do I think Sobotka should be benched and Girgensons at center and Wilson on fourth line? Yes. But I don’t see the coach benching Sobotka yet unfortunately.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Smith-Sobotka-Pominville
Wilson

Do I think Sobotka should be benched and Girgensons at center and Wilson on fourth line? Yes. But I don’t see the coach benching Sobotka yet unfortunately.
As meh as Sobotka has been, Pominville has been far worse and him or Elie should be scratched first. I thought Sobotka played pretty well last night honestly, he's just being played too high in the lineup.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
As meh as Sobotka has been, Pominville has been far worse and him or Elie should be scratched first. I thought Sobotka played pretty well last night honestly, he's just being played too high in the lineup.

To me it's the skating of Pominville. Again, god rest his soul because he's been such a trooper for Buffalo for his long tenure. However, thank god he's done after this season on the books.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Sobotka played great last night. He was putting forth much more effort. Hopefully it continues. Kinda reminds me of Rob Neidermayer's tenure here. He coasted through the season, but once the meaningful games in April hit he played much better.

I think Sobotka is doing the same thing. Yesterday was an extremely important game, and the coaching staff leaned on him heavily. If he can play like he did yesterday I have no problem giving him a roster spot this year.

You have to think Housley notices how useless Pominville is away from Eichel. Once Wilson and Girgs come back, then choice should be easy. Remi put on waivers, and Pominville in the presser.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Sobotka played great last night. He was putting forth much more effort. Hopefully it continues. Kinda reminds me of Rob Neidermayer's tenure here. He coasted through the season, but once the meaningful games in April hit he played much better.

I think Sobotka is doing the same thing. Yesterday was an extremely important game, and the coaching staff leaned on him heavily. If he can play like he did yesterday I have no problem giving him a roster spot this year.

You have to think Housley notices how useless Pominville is away from Eichel. Once Wilson and Girgs come back, then choice should be easy. Remi put on waivers, and Pominville in the presser.

Good point on Sobotka

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
This may have been said upthread, but while Eichel is out, I'd like to see Mitts between Skinner and Sam. Who know, might give the kid some confidence. If they click, might provide an opportunity to do a Sheary - Eichel - Tage for a game or so when Eichel gets back.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
This may have been said upthread, but while Eichel is out, I'd like to see Mitts between Skinner and Sam. Who know, might give the kid some confidence. If they click, might provide an opportunity to do a Sheary - Eichel - Tage for a game or so when Eichel gets back.
Mittelstadt had a brief shot with them after GA2 last night and they were hemmed in for the entire shift, like a full minute almost. Look at the events logged in the 270's if you need a timestamp for a replay/refresher.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
When Eichel is back...

Offensive - Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Defensive - Elie-Sobotka-Rodrigues/Pominville
Offensive - Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Defensive - Smith-Larsson-Okposo

If everyone is ever healthy...

Skinner-Eichel-Thompson
Wilson/Smith-Sobotka-Rodrigues/Pominville
(Elie waived)

McCabe-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Bogosian
Pilut-Beaulieu
Scandella, Nelson

That's still an extra player, so either Smith is sent back to Rochester or one of Scandella, Beaulieu or Nelson gets traded at the TDL (Scandella I hope, but he has an extra year so probably not).

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
If Eichel's healthy, his line should be getting every OZ start they're not gassed for, which impacts the regularity of Mittelstadt's shifts. Mittelstadt also can't eat into any of the Larsson/Sobotka center TOI since any d-zone start will be wasted if he loses the draw or possession doesn't quickly exit the zone. Those shifts most likely end with either Hutton/Ullmark frozen pucks or one of dump-and-change or perimeter shot frozen. Housley has to stick with the OZ, NZ, or on-the-fly starts for him, and if he's cheaply giving pucks up, you're putting him out there less and less and not with high 5v5 TOI guys in Skinner and Reinhart. This isn't to say that E-Rod should be there either, but there's really no internal stopgap and that's a roster construction problem even with Berglund.

Reactions: Chainshot

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I would never separate Skinner/Eichel at this point, they're magic together and form one of the best duos in the entire league. Why mess with that? I wouldn't try to fix what's not broken which has proven to be extremely successful with amazing chemistry and so offensively potent. Why tinker with one of the hottest duos in the league? Teams should have one stacked, strong 1st line imo then the secondary scoring is built around that. Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson let's see it!! VO can switch to RW. Not a scout but played and I see that line as deadly if they click. The team's two best shooters with maybe the best playmaker in the league. Anyone can play with Skinner/Eichel but the goal should be maximizing player's strengths. Let Reinhart get points without easy passes to Eichel which in total honesty many of which I can make.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Pirri has crushed the AHL this year, gets called up and scores 6 goals, 9pts in 7 games.
GMGM sends him down again, probably to save games before he has to go through waivers and since he’s afraid to let go of some other scrub.
Some funny posts over at the Vegas board.
Puts the Pilut scratch in perspective.

Anyway, trade target?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Pirri has crushed the AHL this year, gets called up and scores 6 goals, 9pts in 7 games.
GMGM sends him down again, probably to save games before he has to go through waivers and since he’s afraid to let go of some other scrub.
Some funny posts over at the Vegas board.
Puts the Pilut scratch in perspective.

Anyway, trade target?
Crazy the guy has 6 goals in 7 games and they send him back down. Can't see Vegas trading him. They will never get the value for him.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Don’t worry, I’m a big Rodrigues fan and I didn’t even include him because his play has been so forgettable lately.

Sobotka is not a liability, but he kills offense. He’s really good at flubbing his opportunities. We would be better without him in most cases.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

After each PK in the Florida game Housley did that since Rodrigues was usually gassed from the PK. Only for a few shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad