Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Pirri has crushed the AHL this year, gets called up and scores 6 goals, 9pts in 7 games.
GMGM sends him down again, probably to save games before he has to go through waivers and since he’s afraid to let go of some other scrub.
Some funny posts over at the Vegas board.
Puts the Pilut scratch in perspective.

Anyway, trade target?
The difference is they are winning and climbing towards div title and we are falling for over a month.
Its a complete opposite trajectory.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
With how bad of a season Scandella is having I have to wonder if this season might be the end of the line for him. He's regressed so much this season I have to wonder if he's just having a down year or what we see is what we get. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather have Beau and Nelson in the lineup over him.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Two things I'd like to see once Jack gets back:

1. Rhino on the Girgs & Larry line. I wonder if adding some finish to those two grinders doesn't spark some secondary scoring.

2. Pommer back on Jack's wing. #BringBackJCrew

EDIT: And if not Pommer on that wing, Thompson.

Last edited:
Reactions: steveoath and Hasek

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Two things I'd like to see once Jack gets back:

1. Rhino on the Girgs & Larry line. I wonder if adding some finish to those two grinders doesn't spark some secondary scoring.

2. Pommer back on Jack's wing. #BringBackJCrew

EDIT: And if not Pommer on that wing, Thompson.

You would make Reinhart totally useless. He's a complimentary player. We shouldn't try and turn into something he isnt

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
With how bad of a season Scandella is having I have to wonder if this season might be the end of the line for him. He's regressed so much this season I have to wonder if he's just having a down year or what we see is what we get. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather have Beau and Nelson in the lineup over him.
I think Scandella has been fine, dont understand all the hate for him lately. When it comes to defending against good players, give me Scandella 100 times out of 100 over Beaulieu or Nelson.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
You would make Reinhart totally useless. He's a complimentary player. We shouldn't try and turn into something he isnt
Yeah, so let him complement the forechecking/possession driving ability of Zeus & Larry. Those two do all the board and cycle work down low and out to the points while Rhino does his net front thing.

It wouldn't be asking him to drive the line. It'd be putting him in the position to apply his strengths (a la, screening, tipping, short passing, vision).

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah, so let him complement the forechecking/possession driving ability of Zeus & Larry. Those two do all the board and cycle work down low and out to the points while Rhino does his net front thing.

It wouldn't be asking him to drive the line. It'd be putting him in the position to apply his strengths (a la, screening, tipping, short passing, vision).
Reinhart is primarily a playmaker. That's wasted on Girgs and Larsson.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Pretty sure Pomminville is considered by many to not be an NHL winger and he did fairly decent with Eichel earlier this year.

I’d still like to see:

Reinhart with Skinner and Erod like Thurs
Eichel with Mitts and Sheary/Thompson

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If we're going to revive the Sam Reinhart Thunderdome, at least make good posts. No more slap-fighting or one-liners.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Reinhart needs to be with a goal scorer since he has the worst shot in the NHL.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My goal for the team would be have a deep enough forward group that Sobotka is, on a healthy team, the 13th forward.

I like the toughness and his skating is better than I thought it'd be. But if he's centering one of your top 3 lines....you've got issues

(we've got issues)

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
My goal for the team would be have a deep enough forward group that Sobotka is, on a healthy team, the 13th forward.

I like the toughness and his skating is better than I thought it'd be. But if he's centering one of your top 3 lines....you've got issues

(we've got issues)
We need like 3-4 Forwards before Sobotka is not in the lineup. There is worse things to worry about than Sobotka
ERod
Pomnville
Okposo
Elie
Sheary

Reactions: Mitts888

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

(we've got issues)

Agreed. All of these lineup proposals feels like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.
No successful lineup should include Pominville, Okposo or Sobotka. HM: Erod

Now this would get my attention!!

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary- XXX (Duchene) - Thompson
Nylander - Mittelstadt - XXX (Coyle)
Girgs - Larry - Erod

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
If anything I’d like to see this pp setup:
Sam Sheary
Jack Dahlin Mitts

Sheary is good at finding open spaces and getting one timers off. The Jack -> Sam -> Sheary play can be run from one side, and the same play can be run on the other side in a Mitts -> Sheary -> Sam combo.

Casey is a really good stick handler and should help to draw some coverage away form Jack’s side of the ice.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Botts needs to make a move. Without Eichel this team is doomed. With him we can use a top 6 center/winger with speed.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd be willing to take a reasonable loss in trade value if it's for a player that can help right the ship and stick around for a bit.

Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'd be willing to take a reasonable loss in trade value if it's for a player that can help right the ship and stick around for a bit.

We've put ourselves in playoff contention with half a season to go. We can't just let that go by the wayside. A failure to make any move is a failure in management. 7 years no playoffs and counting.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
At this point we are one point out of the playoffs with half a season left. One forward isn’t going to be the difference between getting in and not. Wait till the deadline now and see where we are.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wish that ten game streak never happened. It's skewed too many opinions here, talking about having to make moves to make the playoffs. This season was never about making the playoffs. Great if it happens, but this is still a developing team that needs the picks. I'd love a long-term C added, but it's not happening until the off-season. Anything less than a major acquisition, at the cost of a 1st or more, is not going to make the difference come April.

Blaming Botterill for standing pat on the draft & development path, because "it's been years since playoffs", is just blatant frustration and impatience. Blame the the reasons why two years of the re-build were flushed down the toilet instead. The Sabres should be past this point already, if better decisions were made before Botterill came along.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd still argue that they should strive to fix their holes and make the playoffs even if they'd won the cup 10 years in a row. The 10 game streak is as reflective of the team as the 5-10 run after or what have you. It's a squad that is capable of contending for a playoff spot lacking in experience in making that push, and you'd like to have them get it now rather than pushing it off into the future. It's not like they'd be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad