Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd flip my @#$%ing lid if Botterill traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a 27 year old winger with 3 yrs left at 5 mil aav, that gets about 50 pts a season, when Buffalo's Cup window isn't now.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Sure, they should try, but teams aren't falling out of playoff contention early enough (with loser point scoring) to trade even mid-level players if they are young, good, and have term left. Teams in the playoff hunt or even dropping out aren't likely to trade those players at this time of year. It would have to be a unique scenario, and they just don't happen very often.
If you're giving up a 5th or a Justin Bailey-esque player, who cares about getting term. There's nothing wrong with picking up rentals, even if they aren't going to put you over the top, just as long as you give up replaceable assets. And if a rental ends up being a good fit for the team they can always be re-signed.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Jesus, same quote I said "not in Jan or Feb". I'm also absolutely positive that you're smart enough to realize that there is a difference between the moves that contenders make this time of year, and teams that are still not legit contenders. I'm also absolutely positive that you realize Buffalo is NOT a legit contender right now. I know that I didn't need to specify that in the first place.

That's not at all what the issue at hand is. I'm arguing my point, not your derivations of your own particular point.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'd flip my @#$%ing lid if Botterill traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a 27 year old winger with 3 yrs left at 5 mil aav, that gets about 50 pts a season, when Buffalo's Cup window isn't now.

"The Cup Window," as you'd like it, has to be incredibly fluid, and it's entirely dependent on question marks around two players, one of whom is already entering his prime, and the other who is on his ELC. You can either fill those spots with players currently under team control who you project optimistically or with players outside team control who have actually reached useful levels. No team wins a cup with solely homegrown players, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->