Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would you give up Scandella for a rental like Brassard? Pens have terrible D.

After watching a few shifts of Brassard... Ignore this post.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Would you give up Scandella for a rental like Brassard? Pens have terrible D.

After watching a few shifts of Brassard... Ignore this post.

I wouldn't move any of the D this year. We just saw Matt Tennyson have to play actual minutes. We can't risk that again.

In the offseason? Maybe.

Reactions: Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I wouldn't move any of the D this year. We just saw Matt Tennyson have to play actual minutes. We can't risk that again.

In the offseason? Maybe.
Dahlin-Bogo
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Beaulieu
Nelson
Scandella might not make the top 6 anyway.
Guhle wasn’t Tennyson-esque during his call up

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

In the offseason? Maybe.
Not to mention the smoking tire fire that was Matt Hunwick. My Christmas list has exactly one item on it, and it’s to never see the #48 sweater besmirched in that way ever again.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I wonder if Guhle becomes a trade chip? He’s hasn’t looked terrible, and he’s been with Hunwick. But he also definitely needs more seasoning.

Maybe I’m just jumping the gun because we had such hype for him before Dahlin because he was our top young defensive prospect.

But he could be a key piece in a deal for an impact player if that’s what they choose to do.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Dahlin-Bogo
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Beaulieu
Nelson
Scandella might not make the top 6 anyway.
Guhle wasn’t Tennyson-esque during his call up

I still like the idea of adding Lovejoy at the deadline.
RHD with tons of playoff experience with the Pens.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I was very much on the Guhle hype train but at this point if the deal was right I'd move him. If not I'm happy keeping him and hoping he finds it and puts it all together. You cant teach the wheels he has.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
:huh:

I don’t think that’s how that saying works...
No? Well, enlighten me, then.

If you have to figure out the middle six, it means your first line, shutdown line, defence and goaltending are set. I'd call that a good problem. Especially considering what they looked like last season and the expectations most of us had before this season.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was very much on the Guhle hype train but at this point if the deal was right I'd move him. If not I'm happy keeping him and hoping he finds it and puts it all together. You cant teach the wheels he has.
The fact that Guhle will almost certainly be exposed to the expansion draft plays a factor here as well, it would be smart if we can flip him for an asset we don’t stand to lose.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly Guhle hasn't looked all that great at this level since his first training camp and initial call-up against the Bruins like two years ago.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Guhle's 21 years old. Far from a prospect being done in development. Some people are just impatient with draft picks/prospects.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
expected them to sit down and talk contract before the all star break when the sabres are off the week before.

The fact that Guhle will almost certainly be exposed to the expansion draft plays a factor here as well, it would be smart if we can flip him for an asset we don’t stand to lose.

Not worried about that. If he gets taken so be it. Buffalo will have exempt players who could replace him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's a bit odd how one thing happening (Berglund being gone) can re-arrange the thinking

So, in a pure talk about forwards, we have:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart - This is a legitimate top line in the NHL.
Rodrigues-Larsson-Girgensons- This is a good checking line. Can cycle deep, chip in the occasional goal.

That leaves:

Okposo, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Sheary, Pominville (IR), Sobotka, Ellie, Wilson as the "makeup" of the next two lines.

In assembling the pieces, we have, Okposo still brings a heavy body, skating is around average. Now, we have attached Okposo at Mittelstadt's hip for a bit now....frankly, it doesn't work. Since we're obviously not sending CM (or TT) to Rochester

XXXXX-XXXX-Okposo
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Thompson - A fast 3rd line we basically run against other teams 4th lines

That leaves: Sobotka, Ellie, Wilson, Pominville once he's back That's a pretty "meh" combo. I think for it to work at any level, we need to look outside the org. I'd probably even dangle one of the 1st's for a long term solution there. Tyler Johnson maybe?

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
It's a bit odd how one thing happening (Berglund being gone) can re-arrange the thinking

So, in a pure talk about forwards, we have:

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart - This is a legitimate top line in the NHL.
Rodrigues-Larsson-Girgensons- This is a good checking line. Can cycle deep, chip in the occasional goal.

That leaves:

Okposo, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Sheary, Pominville (IR), Sobotka, Ellie, Wilson as the "makeup" of the next two lines.

In assembling the pieces, we have, Okposo still brings a heavy body, skating is around average. Now, we have attached Okposo at Mittelstadt's hip for a bit now....frankly, it doesn't work. Since we're obviously not sending CM (or TT) to Rochester

XXXXX-XXXX-Okposo
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Thompson - A fast 3rd line we basically run against other teams 4th lines

That leaves: Sobotka, Ellie, Wilson, Pominville once he's back That's a pretty "meh" combo. I think for it to work at any level, we need to look outside the org. I'd probably even dangle one of the 1st's for a long term solution there. Tyler Johnson maybe?

There's no way Tampa is trading Tyler Johnson this year. They're going for it all. But I like that idea for the off-season. We clearly need another 2A Center.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Guhle's 21 years old. Far from a prospect being done in development. Some people are just impatient with draft picks/prospects.

For sure, but we also don't have the huge need for him to pan out that we did a year ago. Pilut and Dahlin have come into the system and (obviously) leap-frogged ahead of him, and McCabe has bounced back pretty nicely to round out our left side D. I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him, but if we can flip him for a player that we have a more immediate use/need for, I'm all for it.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The solution to Buffalo's #2 C trouble is named Johan Larsson.

That and splitting Eichel and Skinner up. No one wants to, but things will start going bad if we don't get any goals from the middle-6.

Eichel can produce with anyone.

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson

Skinner-Larsson-Reinhart

Rodrigues-Mittelstadt-Okposo

Smith-Sobotka-Girgensons

To AHL: Thompson

To waivers: Poms

Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events