Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I haven't really liked ERod lately.

I think he has a spot on this team but he seems more like he should be a third line guy at best. Bring some energy, score a few goals, be defensively responsible... maybe show off a little against weaker competition. Not a fan of making him the 1C in Eichel's absence.
I don't think you are being unreasonable. I think ERod has had plenty of time to solidify a role on this team and he just hasn't seemed to be able to do that. Some nights he looks fantastic, but too many nights he is a step behind, or he's falling all over the place, or he is just invisible.

I wouldn't be upset if we moved on from him. Clearly, something needs to happen with our middle six.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That was really out of desperation rather than actual fit for the position. If you think about it, who else can we put in that role? Sobotka? We all knew the score, if Jack goes down there's no one to backfill the role.
Reinhart

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
That was really out of desperation rather than actual fit for the position. If you think about it, who else can we put in that role? Sobotka? We all knew the score, if Jack goes down there's no one to backfill the role.
He hasn't really deserved it, but if Mittelstadts long term role is to be the "2" of the offensive 1-2 punch behind Eichel down the middle... I'd have tried him there. Give him the homework assignment of studying a copious amount of video on what Jack does between Skinner and Reinhart. It probably wouldn't go great, I dunno if it'd be that much worse than ERod or Sobotka there... but IMO it'd make sense and he'd probably learn a thing or two.

... or Reinhart.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He hasn't really deserved it, but if Mittelstadts long term role is to be the "2" of the offensive 1-2 punch behind Eichel down the middle... I'd have tried him there. Give him the homework assignment of studying a copious amount of video on what Jack does between Skinner and Reinhart. It probably wouldn't go great, but I dunno if it'd be that much worse than ERod or Sobotka there, and he'd probably learn a thing or two.

... or Reinhart.

It's funny to me, for a organization that preaches patience for players, they sure are in a rush to implement Casey at center.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Excellent post. Boedker / Tierney would be my picks for bang/buck, but I don't want to see Buffalo gift Ottawa any more 1sts. That team is in deep trouble and the Sabres shouldn't be the people to bail them out. I suspect StL would want more of a re-tool package than picks.
Just out of curiosity what would we offer for Tierney? I want to grab an impact player not a third liner we have a whole team full of them.Duchene man!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No i understand what your saying but do you think we can get him signed now? I think its important to make playoffs for our young core to get a taste.Want to do it now not wait because it will be too late can't wait till trading deadline.Reluctant to deal Nylander i think he plays better with talented players but would still pull the trigger
To me this doesn't really matter, this team needs to learn how play to win over a full 82 game season first and they seem to learning that this year, playoffs is just a bonus. If we finish in a wild card chase and just miss the playoffs this season then this season was a huge win for me.

No one thought we were making playoffs this year so I dont know what got everyone trying to push for it now rather than continue to build so we can push for it steady over the next 10 years.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's funny to me, for a organization that preaches patience for players, they sure are in a rush to implement Casey at center.
I dunno if putting a young center at center is necessarily a matter of "rushing" really. Sometimes easing in at wing is better, sometimes it isn't. Maybe that's just not what they feel would be best for Casey developmentally.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What would a desperate Chiarelli offer for Scandella+Sheary?
A first? Pulju?

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
To me this doesn't really matter, this team needs to learn how play to win over a full 82 game season first and they seem to learning that this year, playoffs is just a bonus. If we finish in a wild card chase and just miss the playoffs this season then this season was a huge win for me.

No one thought we were making playoffs this year so I dont know what got everyone trying to push for it now rather than continue to build so we can push for it steady over the next 10 years.
I disagree it always seems like we are rebuilding.We have a great young core.We have some promising pieces in the pipeline.We have 4 1st round picks next 2 years.I would like to move some picks and or prospects for an impact player.Duchene is an impact player.Mid round 1 at round picks wont be impact players statistically.I think its huge for the young core to taste playoffs and build from there but just an opinion we all have different takes

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

I generally agree, but my concern is the total lack of secondary scoring. For this year to be a success, we need key players to put pucks in the net and show that we are a dangerous team with depth. We aren't going to go far this year, next year, or the year after if players don't start stepping up. Playoffs or not, until this is fixed, we aren't progressing the way we need to be.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I disagree it always seems like we are rebuilding.We have a great young core.We have some promising pieces in the pipeline.We have 4 1st round picks next 2 years.I would like to move some picks and or prospects for an impact player.Duchene is an impact player.Mid round 1 at round picks wont be impact players statistically.I think its huge for the young core to taste playoffs and build from there but just an opinion we all have different takes
Trading away first round picks for a rental is a good way of prolonging the rebuild a couple of years.

Reactions: davej0122

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No i understand what your saying but do you think we can get him signed now? I think its important to make playoffs for our young core to get a taste.Want to do it now not wait because it will be too late can't wait till trading deadline.Reluctant to deal Nylander i think he plays better with talented players but would still pull the trigger
I think making would be great for our team and Duchene would be awesome.

Problem is Ottawa doesn't like to trade within division but I think an extension can be in place before the trade. I just don't see a trade like that happening

Dare to dream

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I guess Skinner and Reinhart did ok last night..What's everyone think about putting Jack with new linemates when he comes back and leaving Skinner and Reinhart together ? Trying to think of ways to spread out the scoring and this might do it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I guess Skinner and Reinhart did ok last night..What's everyone think about putting Jack with new linemates when he comes back and leaving Skinner and Reinhart together ? Trying to think of ways to spread out the scoring and this might do it.
I wouldn't mind seeing Mitts with Skinner and Reinhardt to see if they can elevate his game and Eichel back with Pominville and Sheary

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Interesting... You would likely need to upgrade the #2C (Schenn, Stepan, Anisimov, Tierney/Duchene, Karlsson), with someone a little more seasoned if you're going to put Skinner and Reinhart with someone other than Jack. Mitts' puck possession & zone entries arent ready for that yet IMO, would in all likelihood just make the other two guys less effective.

That said Sheary and Thompson on Jack's wings would likely be very frustrating for most NHL d-men trying to contain the cycle and zone entries. Hmmmm... Definitely food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad