2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel you. I have 2 final exams this week (bankruptcy and tax accounting...eek). Is Backlund supposed to be Smith? Or is Botts trading for him as a 2C and Housley shoehorning him onto the 4th line anyway?

E: Nope I see Smith on the top line now. I must be more tired than I thought I was. :biglaugh:

I'm working up an area analysis for a 240 mile stretch of Florida river recreation that I have about 1/4th done. It's due at 5:00 pm tomorrow (hard copy). I have the kids so I'm on duty for school transport (that's an hour in the morning, another hour in the afternoon). I wouldn't have cared except I rocked out the third exam and pulled my grade up to an A, meaning I need to do well on this project to keep the A. :biglaugh:

I just had an epiphany about how to create a number of new recreation opportunities. Heh. Yes!

Hockey-wise, yeah, that doesn't even include Olofsson who I continue to man-crush when he shoots the puck. Imagining his shot with Mitts' playmaking? Hmmmmm.... yes, please.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I sat here trying to figure out how to work in one, let alone all three, with a relatively healthy lineup and it just hasn't become clear. Then again, I may just be continuing to avoid doing this final project that is due in *eeek* 18 hours. I figure I'm just in complete caffeine procrastination mode, so why not write the "what I would like to see" vs. "what Phil does" lineups, right? Fever dream time...

Skinner-Eichel-Smith
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Nylander-Reinhart-Rodrigues
Backlund-Larsson-Girgensons

To use the 3 ignoring the rest of the spare parts....

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson
Sheary- Mitts-nylander
Smith-Reinhart-Okposo
Berglund-Larsson-Girgs
ERod. Sobotka

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sean Tierney’s charts are fun. If we go with his analysis:

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
ERod - Sobotka - Okposo
Berglund - Larsson - Girgensons

Dahlin - Bogosian
Pilut - Ristolainen
Beaulieu - Nelson

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I've been itching to see what CJ looks like with Jack and Skinner. Maybe nothing, but he reminds me so much of a younger/faster/quicker Pominville, I just have a hunch they click like puzzle pieces.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Olofsson, this lineup has so many passive players, we've seen what someone with a shooting mentality can do (i.e. Skinner). But I think that's why Thompson is being force fed minutes, and I think they like his 200' game a bit better at this juncture.

I agree 100% however smith doesn't have near the shot poms did in his day

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Eric Staal. Last year on a 3mil contract and can still skate and score. Drops Mitts to 3rd line middleman...

I’ve pondered staal, but the problem becomes that now you have 3 centers accustomed to priority ozone starts. I’d rather acquire someone more defensively capable.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The biggest issue with adding anyone to this roster is the fact that the team has less than $2M in cap space.

Buffalo Sabres - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $79,839,551

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $655,107

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $315,556

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $1,600,000
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $1,600,000

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I would like to see Sobotka go down to the fourth line and Berglund get a chance higher in the lineup. Berglund has enough offensive upside (ie. his shot) that I feel like we're wasting him a bit when we need secondary scoring. It seems like Phil kind of has these two guys in opposite roles than they should be in.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Eric Staal. Last year on a 3mil contract and can still skate and score. Drops Mitts to 3rd line middleman...

The acquisition cost will be too high. The last time I was on the Wild board, those who were hoping to sell at the deadline wanted for Staal at least what we acquired for Kane - conditional 1st (with conditions relating to advancing a round in playoffs rather than re-signing), a mid-round pick, and a "maybe" prospect. That's a legitimate ask given that he scored 40+ goals last year and is just under a 30-goal clip so far this season, not to mention all of his playoff experience.

I don't see Botts parting with those kind of assets for any rental given where we are in what I think is the organization's plan.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That is easily solvable by sending salary back or waiving someone but waiving wont get you as much. Beaulieu is tradable at 2.4 million.

That will up the cost to acquire someone and won't be as simple as you think.

Also, given all the injuries on D, giving up Beaulieu as a cap dump isn't a good idea.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No changes :thumbd:

Gross. Housley needs to flip Pominville and Reinhart and reuinte Berglund-Larsson-Girgs. Pommer is only useful on the top line, while Reinhart is fine pretty much anywhere and can salvage that 3rd line into something useful. The BLG line has been an incredibly effective one at its job and makes our entire team better by grinding out possession and wearing out opponents.

Those things worked during our win streak. The aversion to go back to them now that we're on a losing skid is baffling.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Overall, this team is a middle of the pack squad. Looking ahead, if the Sabres 1st is ~ 16th overall and the Sharks pick is ~19th overall, that's two very good prospects to add to an already talented young squad. As much fun as the 10 game winning streak was to watch, this is a team being built to push for a Cup in two years. One of those to-be-drafted guys could be flipped to help a playoff run, or kept to try to string together year after year contendership.

Does the current skid suck? Yeah. Do they look like crap? Yeah. But there is still a lot of growing to do with this team before it reaches full fruition.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Overall, this team is a middle of the pack squad. Looking ahead, if the Sabres 1st is ~ 16th overall and the Sharks pick is ~19th overall, that's two very good prospects to add to an already talented young squad. As much fun as the 10 game winning streak was to watch, this is a team being built to push for a Cup in two years. One of those to-be-drafted guys could be flipped to help a playoff run, or kept to try to string together year after year contendership.

Does the current skid suck? Yeah. Do they look like crap? Yeah. But there is still a lot of growing to do with this team before it reaches full fruition.

Agreed. Keep the 1st picks! All of them!

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Botterill isn't blind, and I'm sure he doesn't want a repeat of the end of last season, with him storming out of the press box.
I suspect something is in the works to help address the secondary scoring situation.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Botterill isn't blind, and I'm sure he doesn't want a repeat of the end of last season, with him storming out of the press box.
I suspect something is in the works to help address the secondary scoring situation.

If the whole pens fans agree to Sobotka and a 5th for brassard is true, I’d do that immediately, if not sooner

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Skinner Eichel Pominville(Rodrigues)

Thompson Brassard Reinhart

Sheary Mittelstadt Okposo

Girgensons Larsson Berglund (Rodrigues)

Beautiful. Everything has a proper place. Erod replaces pommer when he slows down.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
A second/third line center would completely change this team. I don't see Botts doing it but bringing in a 24-26 year old center who can score 50 points I would definitely give up a 1st and some assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad