2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I never but words in his mouth. I said Guhle for Toffoli and he said Guhle wont come cheap.

So what does that make Guhle? Sorry for assuming cheap means the player is not good. What is your definition of cheap?
It means he thinks that giving up just Guhle would be a cheap price to pay for Toffoli. Anything beyond that is your own projecting and has nothing to do with what was actually said.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At this point we definitely need to focus on improving the bottom six. Someway shape or form. Berglund in particular needs to step up his game. Sobotka is right there. They are useful in the defensive side, but this is where you need to start impressing.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Mmmm I like blue chips. Kinda pricey depending on who you ask, but worth every penny.

f9270412-6eda-4246-bb5a-7188c569a699_1.7f4829e0535458e5e3935437a9a09a80.jpeg

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
No, it's that Guhle is more valuable as a prospect you keep and develop as he has limited trade value currently since he isn't a high pick and he has struggled this season at the AHL level.
When sarcasm fails.

Reactions: Techno Allah

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I really think Sissons would be a helpful player for this roster.

Skinner-Eichel-Pominville
#1 offensive line

Sheary-Sissons-Reinhart
#2 defensive line

Thompson-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Easy Matchup line

Berglund-Larsson-Girgensons
#1 matchup line

Scratches: Ellie & Sobotka

Sissons can stay until Asplund or whomever is ready to take those type of minutes.

But in my estimation this is a team that will feed off of a strong defense corps. Dahlin/Ristolainen possibly Pilut (he’s looked solid so far) and possibly McCabe.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I really think Sissons would be a helpful player for this roster.

Skinner-Eichel-Pominville
#1 offensive line

Sheary-Sissons-Reinhart
#2 defensive line

Thompson-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Easy Matchup line

Berglund-Larsson-Girgensons
#1 matchup line

Scratches: Ellie & Sobotka

Sissons can stay until Asplund or whomever is ready to take those type of minutes.

But in my estimation this is a team that will feed off of a strong defense corps. Dahlin/Ristolainen possibly Pilut (he’s looked solid so far) and possibly McCabe.

what are you giving up for sissons? That matters in that I'm not against him as a player but if the cost is medium to high I'd rather upgrade...

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
the blues look like shit, i see a massive retool incoming could potentially be a ottawa Colorado situation if they pick this year and continue to struggle next year

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
the blues look like ****, i see a massive retool incoming could potentially be a ottawa Colorado situation if they pick this year and continue to struggle next year

They were built for 2013. It’s no coincidence the Kings, Hawks and Blues all suck at the same time. The game is all about speed and skill now, the goal should be to build the most offensively talented team possible.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd go a few routes to fix center.

My big target is Tierney. If Ottawa is serious about re-signing Duchene, they'll have Pageau and White at center with Brown on the way. He might shake free. The cost would be in the Samuelsson range, and I make that move. Borgen and a pick?

Then Sissons. Won't take that much. 3/4 in the draft pending how the Sheary trade works out, and Bailey.

Then Brassard. Sobotka and a 5th. Brassard helps build scoring depth. He's losing some but he's also a bad fit in the Pens system as a 3C.

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville
Sheary - Brassard - Reinhart
Thompson/ERod - Tierney - Okposo
Berglund - Larsson - Girgensons
x Sissons

Gives the team playoff depth, and lets Thompson go to Rochester if needed.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The solution to the pominville issue is to weaken a top line to accomodate a useless player, but to put him in the press box permanently and encourage early retirement with a cushy offer to be commissioner ofnthe Harborside beer league. He is toast.

except that's not true, Eichel & Skinner are significantly better with 29 than without (this includes Reinhart's time with them).

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
what are you giving up for sissons? That matters in that I'm not against him as a player but if the cost is medium to high I'd rather upgrade...

I’d figure something around Beaulieu Rodrigues and non-1st Round picks or non elite prospects. Maybe someone like a Davidsson or a Fitzgerald.
He’s a solid player but has never scored over 40pts in a season so I wouldn’t expect his cost to be that high

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I do wonder what graduating one or two of Nylander/Olofsson/Smith into this lineup would do for finishing. Mitts hands and playmaking creativity seems like a prime fit for Olofsson's release to me, though Nylander has tools in that regard as well. I haven't minded the work 37 does with KO on the RW either, just the lack of production is starting to wear thin.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How about Guhle for Taffoli straight up? Not really a trade needed but will improve top 9. He is only 26 years old so would fit in to the build.

We really need a 2nd/3rd line center and we do have some assets in Nelson and Guhle that could help get us a center.

Botts will probably sit on his hands which is a mistake in my opinion. We could easily bring in some help without mortgaging the future or giving up a 1st.

Guhle alone doesn’t get Toffoli. If Guhle was a teen draft pick then the case would be there.

He was a late 2nd round pick who is considered a B prospect until he show what he can do at the NHL level.

Fly a benchmark look at the Pominville trade to Minnesota,

He had 1+ yrs left on a contract and returned a 1st, 2 recently drafted B level prisoects who were 2nd/3rd round picks.

Buffalo does not have the cap space to get him added. They would have to send some salary back or have LA retain enough which might increase what buffalo has to give up.

If I was going to target a winger that I’d have to give up something fir I’d first look at Ehlers. Next year WPG will be in a cap crunch needing $5M of space so trading an ELC for him woukd give them that space. Unlike Toffoli he has more term and better than him. Tofolli woukd cist more to resign.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
except that's not true, Eichel & Skinner are significantly better with 29 than without (this includes Reinhart's time with them).
Your delusional. Pomminville is done. Has been for four years. Same thing every year. Looks rejuvenated in october and done by Christmas.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I do wonder what graduating one or two of Nylander/Olofsson/Smith into this lineup would do for finishing. Mitts hands and playmaking creativity seems like a prime fit for Olofsson's release to me, though Nylander has tools in that regard as well. I haven't minded the work 37 does with KO on the RW either, just the lack of production is starting to wear thin.

I've been itching to see what CJ looks like with Jack and Skinner. Maybe nothing, but he reminds me so much of a younger/faster/quicker Pominville, I just have a hunch they click like puzzle pieces.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Olofsson, this lineup has so many passive players, we've seen what someone with a shooting mentality can do (i.e. Skinner). But I think that's why Thompson is being force fed minutes, and I think they like his 200' game a bit better at this juncture.

Reactions: DJN21 and Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Top 15 prospect

1-15 is blue Chip

15-40 is A

40-100 is b

Draisaitl and Werenski were blue chip. If Beers is trading them away for Toffoli then fire him as GM. Nylander is not a blue chip prospect.

Only on agree is nylander not a blue chip.

Had he gone to CHL and put up high goal counts peop,e would rave. Because he played in the A he is now crap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd go a few routes to fix center.

My big target is Tierney. If Ottawa is serious about re-signing Duchene, they'll have Pageau and White at center with Brown on the way. He might shake free. The cost would be in the Samuelsson range, and I make that move. Borgen and a pick?

Then Sissons. Won't take that much. 3/4 in the draft pending how the Sheary trade works out, and Bailey.

Then Brassard. Sobotka and a 5th. Brassard helps build scoring depth. He's losing some but he's also a bad fit in the Pens system as a 3C.

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville
Sheary - Brassard - Reinhart
Thompson/ERod - Tierney - Okposo
Berglund - Larsson - Girgensons
x Sissons

Gives the team playoff depth, and lets Thompson go to Rochester if needed.

Thrn came the reality of the salary cap not factored into this.

Tier you will only cost Samuelsson ?
What happened to Mitts?
You acquire Sissons to warm a seat?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Your delusional. Pomminville is done. Has been for four years. Same thing every year. Looks rejuvenated in october and done by Christmas.

A player can be in decline and still find good production based on chemistry and fit.

Player 1Player 2Player 3GPCF%GF%SCF%HDCF%
Jack EichelJeff SkinnerJason Pominville2856.9170.8359.1564.94
Jack EichelJeff Skinnerw/o Jason Pominville3045.366.6745.4546.77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The goal production doesn't drop off by much, but everything else falls off a cliff.

Oh, and I'm not the only one that noticed:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been itching to see what CJ looks like with Jack and Skinner. Maybe nothing, but he reminds me so much of a younger/faster/quicker Pominville, I just have a hunch they click like puzzle pieces.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Olofsson, this lineup has so many passive players, we've seen what someone with a shooting mentality can do (i.e. Skinner). But I think that's why Thompson is being force fed minutes, and I think they like his 200' game a bit better at this juncture.

Yeah, I sat here trying to figure out how to work in one, let alone all three, with a relatively healthy lineup and it just hasn't become clear. Then again, I may just be continuing to avoid doing this final project that is due in *eeek* 18 hours. I figure I'm just in complete caffeine procrastination mode, so why not write the "what I would like to see" vs. "what Phil does" lineups, right? Fever dream time...

Skinner-Eichel-Smith
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Nylander-Reinhart-Rodrigues
Backlund-Larsson-Girgensons

Reactions: Fezzy126

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
All this line combo discussion makes us realize that there's such a bright future ahead...it wasn't too long ago when our middle 6 C were Brian Flynn and Torey Mitchell

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I sat here trying to figure out how to work in one, let alone all three, with a relatively healthy lineup and it just hasn't become clear. Then again, I may just be continuing to avoid doing this final project that is due in *eeek* 18 hours. I figure I'm just in complete caffeine procrastination mode, so why not write the "what I would like to see" vs. "what Phil does" lineups, right? Fever dream time...

Skinner-Eichel-Smith
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Nylander-Reinhart-Rodrigues
Backlund-Larsson-Girgensons

I feel you. I have 2 final exams this week (bankruptcy and tax accounting...eek). Is Backlund supposed to be Smith? Or is Botts trading for him as a 2C and Housley shoehorning him onto the 4th line anyway?

E: Nope I see Smith on the top line now. I must be more tired than I thought I was. :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad