2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Other than pure goal scoring, our top line is worse with Reinhart than without, yet they keep coming back with that combination. Housley and his staff are aware of the analytics, at least according to his radio interviews. Perhaps they're trying to build consistency/chemistry, but the tin foil hat version of myself is starting to wonder if they're trying to pump his value for a potential trade.

Their refusal to try him at center adds to this paranoia, since if he falters in that role again it would decrease his perceived value. And of course their prolonged contract negotiations from the offseason also adds to the conspiracy theories in my head...

Tin foil hat prediction - Sam is traded at the deadline in a change of scenery type of deal (similar to the Hanifan/Hamilton trade)

(Hoping someone talks me back into reality by providing evidence that they value him as an integral core piece)

So I have similar fears. I've got nothing to talk you back from that edge. *shrug*

Reactions: Fezzy126

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I fail to see why Reinhart needs a change of scenery? He isn't our problem, why would management take away someone who is actually succeeding on the team and putting up points? That seems like backwards management.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Fearnot

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Devils are going to be sellers it looks like this season. They have over 14 million in cap space and Botts has a great relationship with Shero. Would love to find a new home for KO. Players I’d be interested in would be Zajac as 2/3C or Marcus Johansson.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I fail to see why Reinhart needs a change of scenery? He isn't our problem, why would management take away someone who is actually succeeding on the team and putting up points? That seems like backwards management.
Reinhart is a tough player to gauge. Scores a lot from in front of the net. Tips etc

But the way he is good is with his puck smarts, Flyers game not withstanding.

Usually makes smart plays with the puck. Makes quick passes. Also, I've noticed a definite improvement in his skating which is convincing me he's a waste on the Eichel line.

Nothing tangible in his game makes you say wow. It's the intangible part of his game that may do that for you.

The good thing is that he appears to be improving

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Obviously this is just a dream scenario but could you imagine somehow pulling off Kane to Buffalo...

To Buffalo: Patrick Kane

To Chicago: Nathan Beaulieu,Kyle Okposo, Brendan Guhle, Alex Nylander, BUF 2019 1st, BUF 2020 1st

2 1sts, Guhle and Nylander as the actual assets. Okposo and NB for cap purposes.

Skinner-Eichel-Kane
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Thompson-Berglund-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Sobotka/Wilson

If we could somehow pull that off it would make the Sabres instant cup contenders. It likely is nowhere nearly enough going back to Chicago. The 2 Buf 1sts would be in the 20-30 range. Guhle tops out as a #2/3. Nylander is likely a 55-60 point winger when fully developed. They would likely demand Mitts over Nylander which we simply cannot afford. Regardless it's nice to dream.

Anyway even though it wont be Kane I do expect and want the Sabres to use some of our plethora of picks and prospects to target a bona fide vet top 6 forward to truly make this team scary. For that, I would be using Guhle+BUF 2019 1st to target a long term top 6 forward. Lets use Toffoli as a place holder and also because he would easily be able to be brought in if we are offering a 1st in the elite 2019 draft and Guhle. If anything we would likely be able to bring in an even better player. But keeping with Toffoli, imagine the Sabres in 2021-2022.

Skinner-Eichel-Toffoli/Player X
Nylander-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Sheary-Reinhart-Olofsson
Davidsson-Asplund-Berglund (last year on deal)

I do not think Sam can center and drive a Top 6 line. But I think he can center an offensive minded 3rd line and absolutely feast on 3rd pairings. Reinhart flanked by 2 20 goal guys in Sheary and Olofsson against bottom pairing dmen could be our new RAV line.

As for D...

Dahlin-Risto
McCabe-STL 1st
Samuelsson-Pilut

Now that is a real solid blue line. So I would say by 2021-2022 the Sabres will be appearing in a cup by that year if not sooner. We have the majority of the pieces in place. In all honesty we are just playing the waiting game as guys like Mittelstadt, Thompson, Pilut, Nylander, Asplund, Davidsson, Samuelsson just need 1-3 years depending on the player before they develop into important pieces on a cup contender.

We are not far off from a cup contender.

In 2021 I predict the following output:

Eichel - 30-70-100
Skinner - 40 goals
Sheary - 20-20-40
Mitts - 20-40-60
Nylander - ~25 goals
Reinhart - 25-35-60
Thompson - 20-25 goals
Olofsson - 20 goals
Toffoli/big top 6 acquisition - 25 goals, 60 points

That is not counting any possible upgrade we sign or trade for or draft. There are 3 drafts before 21-22. 5 1sts in 3 years. Even accounting for 2019 BUF 1st+Guhle to acquire the new top line forward we have 4 1sts still to be used as an top 4 D and the other 2 or 3 used up front. The Blues 2020 pick will net us a top 10 pick almost assuredly at current pace.

Either way we should be happy. An almost assured 2018-2019 playoff run and then being true cup contenders as soon as 19-20.

So many top young pieces already in place. 5 1st the next 3 years. A generational hall of fame talent on the blue line who is arguably the most valuable asset in the entire league. A legit two way superstar 90+ point center. An elite fast goal scorer. A young vet top pairing RHD capable of playing mega minutes. And 2 solid above average goalies. And a great farm system.

We are in good hands. Botts will add more rings to his fingers. He has what, 2 or 3 with the Pens? He will have enough for every finger on a hand over the next 10 years. 2 cups before Dahlin turns 30 is reasonable to expect.

Go SABRES

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Sabres trade ROR for 3 NHLers because they need depth.

Then less than 12 months later they are going to trade away multiple NHLers and multiple AHLers and multiple 1sts for Patrick Kane.

For some reason, that doesn't seem like Big Botts' style.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
McCabe at $5.5M is the Bogosian contract at a slight discount when factoring in cap growth compared to when the Bogosian contract was signed.

If they want to sign McCabe to 6+ years, it will likely cost more than a lot of people think. That would buy more than a few UFA years.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There’s no way McCabe is worth a Bogo contract right. now. It’ll be short term and low cap hit.

Reactions: slip

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
McCabe at $5.5M is the Bogosian contract at a slight discount when factoring in cap growth compared to when the Bogosian contract was signed.

If they want to sign McCabe to 6+ years, it will likely cost more than a lot of people think. That would buy more than a few UFA years.

Bogosian was more established/productive early in his career than McCabe is now, and he also had the pedigree of being a top 5 draft selection. McCabe should not cost that much.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Obviously this is just a dream scenario but could you imagine somehow pulling off Kane to Buffalo...

To Buffalo: Patrick Kane

To Chicago: Nathan Beaulieu,Kyle Okposo, Brendan Guhle, Alex Nylander, BUF 2019 1st, BUF 2020 1st

2 1sts, Guhle and Nylander as the actual assets. Okposo and NB for cap purposes.

Skinner-Eichel-Kane
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Thompson-Berglund-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Sobotka/Wilson

If we could somehow pull that off it would make the Sabres instant cup contenders. It likely is nowhere nearly enough going back to Chicago. The 2 Buf 1sts would be in the 20-30 range. Guhle tops out as a #2/3. Nylander is likely a 55-60 point winger when fully developed. They would likely demand Mitts over Nylander which we simply cannot afford. Regardless it's nice to dream.

Anyway even though it wont be Kane I do expect and want the Sabres to use some of our plethora of picks and prospects to target a bona fide vet top 6 forward to truly make this team scary. For that, I would be using Guhle+BUF 2019 1st to target a long term top 6 forward. Lets use Toffoli as a place holder and also because he would easily be able to be brought in if we are offering a 1st in the elite 2019 draft and Guhle. If anything we would likely be able to bring in an even better player. But keeping with Toffoli, imagine the Sabres in 2021-2022.

Skinner-Eichel-Toffoli/Player X
Nylander-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Sheary-Reinhart-Olofsson
Davidsson-Asplund-Berglund (last year on deal)

I do not think Sam can center and drive a Top 6 line. But I think he can center an offensive minded 3rd line and absolutely feast on 3rd pairings. Reinhart flanked by 2 20 goal guys in Sheary and Olofsson against bottom pairing dmen could be our new RAV line.

As for D...

Dahlin-Risto
McCabe-STL 1st
Samuelsson-Pilut

Now that is a real solid blue line. So I would say by 2021-2022 the Sabres will be appearing in a cup by that year if not sooner. We have the majority of the pieces in place. In all honesty we are just playing the waiting game as guys like Mittelstadt, Thompson, Pilut, Nylander, Asplund, Davidsson, Samuelsson just need 1-3 years depending on the player before they develop into important pieces on a cup contender.

We are not far off from a cup contender.

In 2021 I predict the following output:

Eichel - 30-70-100
Skinner - 40 goals
Sheary - 20-20-40
Mitts - 20-40-60
Nylander - ~25 goals
Reinhart - 25-35-60
Thompson - 20-25 goals
Olofsson - 20 goals
Toffoli/big top 6 acquisition - 25 goals, 60 points

That is not counting any possible upgrade we sign or trade for or draft. There are 3 drafts before 21-22. 5 1sts in 3 years. Even accounting for 2019 BUF 1st+Guhle to acquire the new top line forward we have 4 1sts still to be used as an top 4 D and the other 2 or 3 used up front. The Blues 2020 pick will net us a top 10 pick almost assuredly at current pace.

Either way we should be happy. An almost assured 2018-2019 playoff run and then being true cup contenders as soon as 19-20.

So many top young pieces already in place. 5 1st the next 3 years. A generational hall of fame talent on the blue line who is arguably the most valuable asset in the entire league. A legit two way superstar 90+ point center. An elite fast goal scorer. A young vet top pairing RHD capable of playing mega minutes. And 2 solid above average goalies. And a great farm system.

We are in good hands. Botts will add more rings to his fingers. He has what, 2 or 3 with the Pens? He will have enough for every finger on a hand over the next 10 years. 2 cups before Dahlin turns 30 is reasonable to expect.

Go SABRES

I think you have a pretty good trade basis there but I think 1 1st is enough to give on top of an A and a B prospect. The roster players we are trading aren't exactly cap dumps either so they aren't net negatives in this scenario. We would still need to dump a bit more salary somewhere to make it work.

I already feel like that is a lot to give up but would be worth it to upgrade Okposo to Kane.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'll quit being a Sabres fan the instant a bunch of prospects and picks are traded for Kane. Giving anything significant for a 30+ age player, especially with a 10 mil cap hit, is a pure suicide move.

McCabe shouldn't be able to demand more than about 4-4.5 mil aav. In a perfect world, Buffalo gets another top-four RHD and McCabe plays the 3rd pair LD behind Dahlin and Pilut. No 3rd pair D should be making above 4.5 mil if your D-corps is set up to contend.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bogosian was more established/productive early in his career than McCabe is now, and he also had the pedigree of being a top 5 draft selection. McCabe should not cost that much.

The other factor is how close McCabe is to UFA.

He could go the arbitration route to get to UFA ASAP. That will up the price on an extension, as well.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I love McCabe, but he's not getting more than 4.5, and that's the upper limit... Comparable players based on minutes, points, and special teams value command anywhere from 4.5% to 5.5% of the cap. Of course there are some egregious outliers, but I would be very surprised if both Botts & McCabe push very hard on this. I expect 3 or 4 years x 4.5AAV gets it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad