2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Why not swap Mitts and Reinhart. Get Casey on the scoresheet and boost his confidence.
It's not his confidence that is at issue. The kid needs to fill out.

Hate to admit this, but they rushed him in to the NHL. He should have stayed in college or gone to the AHL, It is abundantly clear to myself in any event, that he's clearly not ready yet.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's not his confidence that is at issue. The kid needs to fill out.

Hate to admit this, but they rushed him in to the NHL. He should have stayed in college or gone to the AHL, It is abundantly clear to myself in any event, that he's clearly not ready yet.

Eh, he has a lot of plays where he is stickhandling himself into nothingness along the wall or into a corner rather than either attacking the net or taking a shot. He has confidence in his stickhandling ability and that seems to be it at the moment. It could be a muscle-mass hang-up, that he doesn't want to get rocked in heavy traffic areas, but the kid needs to start putting some pucks toward the net rather than into ineffective zones away from the cage.

Reactions: Yatzhee

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
How about Guhle for Taffoli straight up? Not really a trade needed but will improve top 9. He is only 26 years old so would fit in to the build.

We really need a 2nd/3rd line center and we do have some assets in Nelson and Guhle that could help get us a center.

Botts will probably sit on his hands which is a mistake in my opinion. We could easily bring in some help without mortgaging the future or giving up a 1st.

Reactions: buffalorules

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They actually have tough minutes pretty well spoken for when Phil can be bothered to dress the checking line. Between GLB in the defensive zone and the amount of resources most teams dedicate to the Eichel unit, the middle 6 typically sees other secondary scorers and bottom pairings.

While your two-way guy adds the most flexibility, improving the secondary shooting talent also does a fair bit. Especially if Reinhart stays on the top line, vacating 10-15 productive minutes.
Agree that things are better for deployment when B/L/G are together. Larsson’s line consistently gets the toughest deployments and is most effective with Berglund/Girgs on his wings.

I’d also add putting Sam on the “top defensive line” as a wing has helped balance things as well. I’m arguing for sliding him to center but on wing its a big help as well.

If Sam isn’t going to play center on that line and there is no reason to believe he will. I’d prefer Sobotka in that role. He’s meh there but to me Erod is meh -1 in that role. Plus I think Erod should be battling with Thompson to get in the lineup and add Wilson to that battle when he returns.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
How about Guhle for Taffoli straight up? Not really a trade needed but will improve top 9. He is only 26 years old so would fit in to the build.

We really need a 2nd/3rd line center and we do have some assets in Nelson and Guhle that could help get us a center.

Botts will probably sit on his hands which is a mistake in my opinion. We could easily bring in some help without mortgaging the future or giving up a 1st.

Guhle doesn't get Taffoli straight up.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Reinhart could be that guy, but for some reason that bridge was burned quickly.
I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I would love someone in the press to ask Botts about Sam at center. He was repeatedly referenced as part of our center depth by our GM. Yet our coach will not play him there.

Sam’s been playing real well the last several weeks and this has been with and without Jack. It seems to me with the team struggling to get back on track, Sam on his game and the team needing secondary scoring that its the perfect time to try him in the center spot. His confidence has to be very high at the moment. It can always be undone if it doesn’t work out.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Reinhart and Eichel need to be split up as well. Put Pominville back with Eichel and Skinner. Reinhart with Sheary and Thompson - why not try him at center again? Those are two talented wings. Then Mittelstadt with Okposo and ERod.

BLG line back together once all are heathly.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The 3C problem:

- Asplund could be the in house solution. He's probably the only in house solution.
- Trades: there are some names out there (Tierney, Sissons) as well as the Brassard idea. Talking to NYR fans, Andersson could be available as well.
- Draft: not going to happen. All the centers who could impact the team (Each, Turcotte, Newhook) are going to be long gone by the time the Sabres draft.

Personally, I'd mix ideas. Trade for Brassard, trade for Sissons, and let Asplund develop. Especially if Pens fans are accurate, and they'd take Sobotka and a pick back fro Brassard.

Edit: And unless the STL pick in 2020 is real high to get Byfield, center depth in that draft is somewhat lacking. Especially if the team is looking for a bigger center. The only two centers with size who rate highly are Byfield and Pytlik.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I think Reinhart and Eichel need to be split up as well. Put Pominville back with Eichel and Skinner. Reinhart with Sheary and Thompson - why not try him at center again? Those are two talented wings. Then Mittelstadt with Okposo and ERod.

*Whispers* they are all healthy, Phil just includes its members in the healthy scratch carousel while whistling past Sobotka and Thompson

Reactions: Fezzy126

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
And Pu and a 2nd doesn't get Skinner. If you have to add a pick or small prospect....

Oh. So not straight up?

Don't think just because you fleece one GM on one particular move that you're going to fleece all GM's on all moves. Not how it works.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The 3C problem:

- Asplund could be the in house solution. He's probably the only in house solution.
- Trades: there are some names out there (Tierney, Sissons) as well as the Brassard idea. Talking to NYR fans, Andersson could be available as well.
- Draft: not going to happen. All the centers who could impact the team (Each, Turcotte, Newhook) are going to be long gone by the time the Sabres draft.

Personally, I'd mix ideas. Trade for Brassard, trade for Sissons, and let Asplund develop. Especially if Pens fans are accurate, and they'd take Sobotka and a pick back fro Brassard.

Edit: And unless the STL pick in 2020 is real high to get Byfield, center depth in that draft is somewhat lacking. Especially if the team is looking for a bigger center. The only two centers with size who rate highly are Byfield and Pytlik.

If Brassard's value is Sobotka and a pick, Brassard must suck

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I like this idea

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The solution to the pominville issue is to weaken a top line to accomodate a useless player, but to put him in the press box permanently and encourage early retirement with a cushy offer to be commissioner ofnthe Harborside beer league. He is toast.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Oh. So not straight up?

Don't think just because you fleece one GM on one particular move that you're going to fleece all GM's on all moves. Not how it works.
Is it really relevant aside from you wanting to bicker? The goal is Guhle one way and Toffoli here. Is that difficult to see? OMG Now he is saying draft pick#!!1!1

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Sabres have proved early on this season they can hang with the leagues best.
Stay the course is the current mantra being spoken. But, with a very real possible playoff appearance growing as each day passes, whispers amongst conversations around the water coolers and at after dinner lounging are starting to grow about the Sabres season.

In particular, what can the Sabres do in season, move wise, that will improve their secondary scoring woes or, further elevate the team long term in the finishing dept.
Yes, at work today, and when I arrived home this afternoon, conversations abound about..........possible trades!

All eyes are now on Jason Botterill and his pipeline team of managers. The primary question everyone was asking at both home and abroad was does Botterill see what is unfolding as a mere part of a process, or does he view it as something that he can actively help improve while not giving up the farm?

Interesting to see his strategy unfold as the season progresses.
Judging by Kim's comments, this is a building season and I think he see's it as such. This team is not one player away from competing. Lots of cheap opportunities are awaiting to present themselves in Rochester and make a permanent impact on this team. No point in selling off future for win now players when we aren't in win now mode.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The only thing to do is roll with the struggle and work to make him better. They spent time working on building up Thompson's confidence, I don't see that being done with Mitts.
Mitts isn't getting that "video room" time like Thompson got. At some point I would press box him but then again we have no centers since they refuse to try Reinhart there.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Judging by Kim's comments, this is a building season and I think he see's it as such. This team is not one player away from competing. Lots of cheap opportunities are awaiting to present themselves in Rochester and make a permanent impact on this team. No point in selling off future for win now players when we aren't in win now mode.
Maybe.
But Jack and company may have something to say about that as well. The players want the playoffs, those young assets currently playing, they are tired of a losing culture.

There has to be balance, Botterill I'm sure is well aware he can't keep kicking the can down the road. But I do agree he won't sell the farm like Murray did.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Is it really relevant aside from you wanting to bicker? The goal is Guhle one way and Toffoli here. Is that difficult to see? OMG Now he is saying draft pick#!!1!1

It is relevant .... You're not getting Toffoli cheap like you're indicating.

Be prepared to give up one of the 1sts if you want Toffoli

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Eh, he has a lot of plays where he is stickhandling himself into nothingness along the wall or into a corner rather than either attacking the net or taking a shot. He has confidence in his stickhandling ability and that seems to be it at the moment. It could be a muscle-mass hang-up, that he doesn't want to get rocked in heavy traffic areas, but the kid needs to start putting some pucks toward the net rather than into ineffective zones away from the cage.
Asking someone with his skillset to drive a depth scoring line from the center position remains bad. A player like that needs to either learn how to translate their offense, or play with a higher quality of linemate so the entire unit's success doesn't ebb and flow with his progression.

Casey has been ahead of where I projected him defensively based on age and pedigree, but that development hasn't done much for the team's bottom line because it's occurred at the expense of his offense. And we still need to find the roles and players he produces best with in order to know how he fits into the big picture.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe.
But Jack and company may have something to say about that as well. The players want the playoffs, those young assets currently playing, they are tired of a losing culture.
If they believe in themselves then they should be able to get there with the talent they have. If they are tired of a losing culture than its on them to change it and play better than they did last night. At some point the current players are going to have to realize change starts with them and they cant keep relying on someone else to bring it from outside the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad