2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

12-6: THN's Matt Larkin on WGR (19:34)

.@THNMattLarkin joins Schopp & the Bulldog in moments to talk #Sabres and their chances at making the playoffs!

Larkin on the #Sabres loss to #LeafsForever - They looked like Rocky vs. Apollo Creed. They didn't win, but they came out feeling like the winner. It was a crucial measuring stick.

Larkin - I'm not calling them Stanley Cup contenders yet, but I am calling them playoff contenders. They remind me of the Leafs last year or two years ago. #Sabres

Larkin on Dahlin - Not all 18 year old defenseman can be thrust into these minutes. He's a very special case. It's not just the offense, it's his jam/mean streak. #Sabres

Larkin on Dahlin - I think he's got swagger & will keep taking chances. He doesn't shy away from it. #Sabres

Larkin on Skinner - He's been crucial. The #Sabres got a steal. He's still very young. Never had a center of Eichel feeding him the puck. Of course he's scoring this much.

Larkin on Skinner - I'd predict he remains a Sabre. The chemistry is undeniable, and he's close to his hometown. #Sabres

Larkin on Eichel - That Leaf game was a little taste of playoff Jack Eichel. People still don't understand how good he is. #Sabres

Larkin - I do think from a center depth perspective they miss Ryan O'Reilly. There's more pressure on Mittelstadt to produce. Sobotka & Berglund are not bona fide #2 centermen. #Sabres

Larkin - If if I had to bet they'll make the playoffs, but they might slide down to one of the wild card spots. #Sabres

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Wave after wave.

aid495506-v4-728px-Play-Galaga-Like-a-Pro-Step-1-Version-2.jpg.webp
Teppo and Soupy both kicked in 40 points that year as well...team was stacked to win everything.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's a terrible thing to do but I'd trade Skinner, re-sign him in the offseason and offer him up for Seattle in the expension draft.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's a terrible thing to do but I'd trade Skinner, re-sign him in the offseason and offer him up for Seattle in the expension draft.

Here were trading you from a playoff team but come back to us in the offseason without a NTC. Good luck.

The only way I am not resigning Skinner is if we can sign Mark Stone.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He's not going to go from having an NMC to not having an NMC in free agency. As he'll have an NMC at the expansion draft he'll have to be protected. As he should be...letting him go to Seattle is a terrible idea.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
This is a little way off (the offseason) but any thoughts of poaching a player like Andreas Johnsson from the Leafs? Seems like a guy that could get lost in the shuffle who has potential to be a top 6 scorer in the league.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
This is a little way off (the offseason) but any thoughts of poaching a player like Andreas Johnsson from the Leafs? Seems like a guy that could get lost in the shuffle who has potential to be a top 6 scorer in the league.
If they trade a forward I'd bet it's Brown.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
@SabresStats posted some interesting data...

Powerplay success is fairly even regardless who is on the ice. Risto shouldn't see so much PK time. Of course, Risto is probably on the ice against most team's #1 power play. However, I think he tends to be too aggressive and pulls himself out of position.

DtlbEy1WkAIVqtL

DtlbU_4W0AAw_Tt

DtlbGy9WwAApPNL

DtlbWPWXQAE5Fhz

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

If you want him---sigm hin to an offer sheet for a 3rd or 2nd and see if Toronto matches.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you want him---sigm hin to an offer sheet for a 3rd or 2nd and see if Toronto matches.

They traded away their 2020 3rd, so that level OS isn't an option.

It would need to be in that a tad over $2M to a tad over $4M 2nd round pick compensation range.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
@SabresStats posted some interesting data...

Powerplay success is fairly even regardless who is on the ice. Risto shouldn't see so much PK time. Of course, Risto is probably on the ice against most team's #1 power play. However, I think he tends to be too aggressive and pulls himself out of position.

DtlbEy1WkAIVqtL

DtlbU_4W0AAw_Tt

DtlbGy9WwAApPNL

DtlbWPWXQAE5Fhz
The Dahlin/Risto splits are sort of misleading because Risto has spent more time on PP1. It would also be nice if Risto/Sobotka get scaled down on the PK by these numbers.

Reactions: Fearnot

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I’d like to get Sissons. Would probably be an off-season thing. I know he’s not a bonafide 2C, but he’s a 3C that can play a decent level of tough minutes. Put some decent wingers with him here and he can be a solid option.

By the end of the year I hope one of Nylander or Olofsson are up. We need to slowly start moving Sobotka & Berglund off the roster. Too slow. Okposo as well but that can play out a bit.

For now, Pominville isn’t anywhere near the same player without Eichel & Skinner. Put him back there for a couple games and try to get it going would be my advice.

Let Reinhart go with Mitts & Thompson.

Rodrigues with Sheary & Okposo.

Larsson & Girgensons with Berglund.

Sobotka can ride the pine for a bit.

The injuries on D are hurting simply because Tennyson is playing. Puts undue stress on everyone.

Also would like to Hutton come back, but who knows

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No rash trades. Stay the course Bots. Develop from within, make no moves that sacrifice assets for magic beans.

The team will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1