2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Watched this video trying to figure out the lines from that era...and damn if it isn't getting a little dusty in here.

If not for McKee's staph infection at the worst possible time, I think we win the Cup that year. That team was so unbelievably good but you can't chop a defense up so badly they're having to ice Janik, Jillson and Paetsch in a Conference Final Game 7 and live to tell the tale. We were so dinged up and helpless on defense Paetsch played his second EVER NHL game in that Game 7.

We lost Numminen, Tallinder, Kalinin and McKee to injury...that's the cautionary tale against shipping out defensive depth when you don't have to. You never know when you're going to be desperate for a good player to slot in.

Wasn't warriner on team? I thought he played with mckee?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I still maintain that losing Connolly was the single biggest reason we didn't win the cup that year, starting from the 2nd half of that season up to when he got hurt, he was one the best hockey players I had ever seen. Our ability to dominate possession and score completely dried up after he got hurt.

If I could go back in history a la 12 Monkeys style I would eliminate Peter Schaefer from existence.
He was just so, so good. At times completely undefendable...just had that puck on a string and knew exactly what he wanted to do with it.I wonder what his career would look like without the injuries...they completely derailed him and then some.

Reactions: Fezzy126

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Center depth is still a concern for us for now. If Jack gets blank(not gonna say it), we are f'ed.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
@Djp
As for the legend of the defensemen injuries - Kalinin, Numminen, Tallinder, and McKee all went down (in that order?)

The replacements came in the order of - Fitzpatrick, Jillson, Janik, and Paetsch (I think)

This was the first playoff run that I can legitimately really vividly remember. I was just living and breathing Sabres hockey during that stretch. So much fun... so much heartbreak...
I think you have the order they went down correct, but I'm pretty sure Janik was second callup behind Fitzy.

I'll never forget watching that Game 7 against Carolina. Felt so good coming out of the second with the lead and then it all fell apart so fast. :( Just heartbreaking to get that close with one of the best Sabres teams I've ever seen, and have it all deteriorate to nothing in twenty minutes of game play.

f***ing Brind'Amour.

Reactions: MurrayForPrez

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
3-4 d injured. 2 week to week. This is why I’m glad Botts got a lot of depth. Good or bad, injured d always happens to us. Keep drafting d and centers

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I believe the 05-06 core lines were: (I'm sure there were lines that were tweaked depending on games and getting others going)

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Roy-Drury-Grier
Kotalik-Connolly-Afinogenov
Vanek-Gaustad-Pyatt

Vanek was moved up and down the lines through the year. Much like Pommers.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think you have the order they went down correct, but I'm pretty sure Janik was second callup behind Fitzy.

I'll never forget watching that Game 7 against Carolina. Felt so good coming out of the second with the lead and then it all fell apart so fast. :( Just heartbreaking to get that close with one of the best Sabres teams I've ever seen, and have it all deteriorate to nothing in twenty minutes of game play.

****ing Brind'Amour.

**** the Delay of Game / Over the Glass penalty

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I still maintain that losing Connolly was the single biggest reason we didn't win the cup that year, starting from the 2nd half of that season up to when he got hurt, he was one the best hockey players I had ever seen. Our ability to dominate possession and score completely dried up after he got hurt.

If I could go back in history a la 12 Monkeys style I would eliminate Peter Schaefer from existence.

Watching Connolly when he was on, was like watching Kuznetsov when he's on. Just magical and when motivated could do what he wanted and nobody was going to stop him. And much like Kuz, when not motivated, they were very frustrating.

I think we could've gotten past Carolina without Tim, but we needed that full healthy D. Sabres sweep Carolina with a fully healthy team without question.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Not sure we would have beat edmonton.

Miller was brutal under pressure. Blew 3rd period leads in games 5 and 7. Softies against ottawa doomed us the next year as well

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Not sure we would have beat exmonton.

Miller was brutal under pressure. Blew 3rd period leads in games 5 and 7. Softies against ottawa doomed us the next year as well
With 3 top four defensemen out in Game 5 and 4 top four defensemen out in Game 7.

I'm not saying we would have stomped all over Edmonton, but if we could have made it past Carolina and got a couple guys back for the Cup Final I believe we would have taken it.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
With 3 top four defensemen out in Game 5 and 4 top four defensemen out in Game 7.

I'm not saying we would have stomped all over Edmonton, but if we could have made it past Carolina and got a couple guys back for the Cup Final I believe we would have taken it.

we should have won it, but not confident. We had the same goalie who allowed the Crosby goal, and blew multiple goal leads in 2010-2011 years as well in the playoffs. He went full Lehner as the pressure ratcheted up. He also nearly blew a 4 goal lead in game 3

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Where the hell was connolly? Holy crap was that team ever stacked.

Connolly and Briere both missed big chunks of the regular season, so they traded turns at the top Center role, offensively.

And as I recall, when they were both healthy, Connolly took the third line with Vanek and Max, Roy shifted to the wing with Drury sometimes and Kotalik dropped to the Gaustad line.

If someone remembers better please correct me, just what I vaguely remember.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There was no line numbering in 2005-06. They rolled 4 lines, mostly. One of the comments by Ottawa was that the Sabres were hard to contain because they had all 1st lines.

Wave after wave.

aid495506-v4-728px-Play-Galaga-Like-a-Pro-Step-1-Version-2.jpg.webp

Reactions: Ralonzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad