Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #4 - It’s Getting Better All The Time (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's the only guy on our roster who has ever hit 25 goals. One of our most dynamic players. Why would we use him on the PP?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not ready to label any players as favorites or u-favorites for lack of a better term. I haven't seen enough of Tocchet, and he hasn't shown strong tendencies towards players. We saw that with Tippet, but not with Tocks. He's benched cold players, but I just haven't seen him play or not play except based upon performance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm nervous about that too, I'm still baffled by the "hey let's not put Alex on the power play" thing they did for a few games. That kid is a scoring machine on the power play, he should ALWAYS be on it!
Not with Stepan around.:) ....and Panik to a certain degree. If they trade Chucky for an upgrade, fine, but if they trade him for picks and keep Stepan as our first line C, I will personally go and cuff my fellow Canadian in the head. This team will go no where with Stepan as our 1C.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's the only guy on our roster who has ever hit 25 goals. One of our most dynamic players. Why would we use him on the PP?
We have Stepan for our #1 PP. Just ask RT, or look at his point production on the PP. Give credit where credit is due.:sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not ready to label any players as favorites or u-favorites for lack of a better term. I haven't seen enough of Tocchet, and he hasn't shown strong tendencies towards players. We saw that with Tippet, but not with Tocks. He's benched cold players, but I just haven't seen him play or not play except based upon performance.
You are kidding, right? Why was Stepan and Panik on the PP, period. What about Fischer?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm nervous about that too, I'm still baffled by the "hey let's not put Alex on the power play" thing they did for a few games. That kid is a scoring machine on the power play, he should ALWAYS be on it!
I just listened to Tochets interview on 98.7. He seems to be part of the future. I didn’t get the sense there was an issue.

Reactions: Sinurgy and doaner

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Not with Stepan around.:) ....and Panik to a certain degree. If they trade Chucky for an upgrade, fine, but if they trade him for picks and keep Stepan as our first line C, I will personally go and cuff my fellow Canadian in the head. This team will go no where with Stepan as our 1C.

Problem is we have Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and a bunch of forwards to play center. Stepan is a 2/3, we really don't know what Dvo is anymore he missed so much time and it would be insane to think Richardson will repeat what he did this year and he should only be counted on as the 4th line center. We're center poor just as we have been for the majority of time there's been a team called the Coyotes. This team won't be any better than scratching and clawing for an 8th seed until they get a scoring center or two. Orrrr we can trade Dvo and the rest of the Maloney draft picks for another forward.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You are kidding, right? Why was Stepan and Panik on the PP, period. What about Fischer?
I'm not kidding. For long stretches we had only 2 true centers, Stepan and Richardson. Of course he would get power play time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not kidding. For long stretches we had only 2 true centers, Stepan and Richardson. Of course he would get power play time.
If it's not working try something else. Richardon who out played Stepan this year, in my opinion, got 16 TOI PP time. Crouse who outplayed Fischer by a wide margin got 7 TOI PP time. Vinnie got as many PP points as Stepan, Panik and Fischer combined, yet he got less TOI PP time than all three. Grabner who can score got 3 TOI PP time. We all cringe when Cousins was on the PP, but even he had as many points as Stepan and more than Panik on the PP with way less TOI. Cousins for god sake. You wonder why our PP stunk, look no farther than Stepan, Panik and Fischer. IF they would have produced with the amount of ice time they received on the PP, we would be in the play offs. Hell I would have tried Bush on the PP and tell him to stand in front and the net a create havoc. He couldn't have done any worse.

Reactions: lanky

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Problem is we have Stepan, Dvo, Richardson and a bunch of forwards to play center. Stepan is a 2/3, we really don't know what Dvo is anymore he missed so much time and it would be insane to think Richardson will repeat what he did this year and he should only be counted on as the 4th line center. We're center poor just as we have been for the majority of time there's been a team called the Coyotes. This team won't be any better than scratching and clawing for an 8th seed until they get a scoring center or two. Orrrr we can trade Dvo and the rest of the Maloney draft picks for another forward.
Hopefully, Schmaltz can surprise us at C. :dunno:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If it's not working try something else. Richardon who out played Stepan this year, in my opinion, got 16 TOI PP time. Crouse who outplayed Fischer by a wide margin got 7 TOI PP time. Vinnie got as many PP points as Stepan, Panik and Fischer combined, yet he got less TOI PP time than all three. Grabner who can score got 3 TOI PP time. We all cringe when Cousins was on the PP, but even he had as many points as Stepan and more than Panik on the PP with way less TOI. Cousins for god sake. You wonder why our PP stunk, look no farther than Stepan, Panik and Fischer. IF they would have produced with the amount of ice time they received on the PP, we would be in the play offs. Hell I would have tried Bush on the PP and tell him to stand in front and the net a create havoc. He couldn't have done any worse.
Crouse can’t score and he doesn’t have the stick handling ability to control the puck on the PP. Perhaps you didn’t notice Cousins on the ice for the shift after the power play to neutralize the big first shift of the other team after returning to even man strength. That’s an important role for Cousins.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Crouse can’t score and he doesn’t have the stick handling ability to control the puck on the PP. Perhaps you didn’t notice Cousins on the ice for the shift after the power play to neutralize the big first shift of the other team after returning to even man strength. That’s an important role for Cousins.
Stepan, Panik and Fischer got a total of 5 pts. on the PP with a total 460 PP minutes between them. You put Crouse in front of the net for rebounds. If it works, great, if not, try something different. Garland, a call up and feeling his way got 6 pts. with 112 TOI PP, Vinny got 5 pts. with 94 TOI PP. How anyone can defend those three getting those kind of minutes on the PP is beyond me. Four of our D got more PP pts. than those three combined, hell, to make matters worse Strome and Perlini totaled 8 pts. in less than 100 TOI PP and everyone hated Perline and most hated Strome.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Stepan, Panik and Fischer got a total of 5 pts. on the PP with a total 460 PP minutes between them. You put Crouse in front of the net for rebounds. If it works, great, if not, try something different. Garland, a call up and feeling his way got 6 pts. with 112 TOI PP, Vinny got 5 pts. with 94 TOI PP. How anyone can defend those three getting those kind of minutes on the PP is beyond me. Four of our D got more PP pts. than those three combined, hell, to make matters worse Strome and Perlini totaled 8 pts. in less than 100 TOI PP and everyone hated Perline and most hated Strome.

I've been calling for Crouse in front of the net on the PP since his rookie year. Not sure why they wouldn't try it. Probably the same reason they wouldn't try Strome in the top six...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've been calling for Crouse in front of the net on the PP since his rookie year. Not sure why they wouldn't try it. Probably the same reason they wouldn't try Strome in the top six...
They tried Chick there for a bit with limited success, then they stopped. We all know we need scoring help, but if those three got 30 pts. or so between them, that could have been all we needed to get into the playoffs. Special teams will make you or break you. It broke us.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They tried Chick there for a bit with limited success, then they stopped. We all know we need scoring help, but if those three got 30 pts. or so between them, that could have been all we needed to get into the playoffs. Special teams will make you or break you. It broke us.
I believe when Nicholson suggested that in regards to Rieder this place went nuts.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Crouse and Richardson don't play on the PP because they are essential to the PK. If they play PP, PK, and 5on5 they end up with McDavid-like minutes for a 35 year old and 2nd year player.

Fischer needs to become the net front presence, and Dvo needs to be the center to win the PP face off and take Stepan's spot

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Crouse and Richardson don't play on the PP because they are essential to the PK. If they play PP, PK, and 5on5 they end up with McDavid-like minutes for a 35 year old and 2nd year player.

Fischer needs to become the net front presence, and Dvo needs to be the center to win the PP face off and take Stepan's spot
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. Stepan had more PK time than Crouse, and Panik had 10 TOI on the PK less than Crouse. In fact Stepan only played 30 TOI on the PK less than Richardson. Like I said, how can anyone defend Stepan, Panik and Fischer on the PP with the minutes they received is beyond me. Speaking of DVO, he has a 55% FOW's, and in 20 games he played 26 TOI on the PP and had 1 pt. If he had the same TOI on the PP as say Panik, he would have had about 6 pts. and if he was given the same time as Stepan, he would have approx. 8 pts. and that is coming off an injury. Speaking of McDavid, his TOI on the PP and PK is 314 TOI, Stepan 333 TOI. That is why I gave Stepan the nickname McStepan because RT treats Stepan like McDavid. Stupid is as stupid does.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I believe when Nicholson suggested that in regards to Rieder this place went nuts.
Reider never came close the the TOI PP time that Stepan, Panik or Fischer got. In fact Reider got as many pts. on the PP as Panik in only 24 minutes. It only took Panik 148.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He will, though I think he's a good trade chip this summer.

No thanks. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think we have a steal in him. Just needs to add weight and functional strength. His brother really grew into his body and put up about 0.37 ppg in this year, his rookie year. So, we have a comparable family member who was a 4th round pick and has contributed.

Now, think about PO's game and how him as a first-second round type of talent can develop. I would wait a little longer on discussions of deals with him.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Reider never came close the the TOI PP time that Stepan, Panik or Fischer got. In fact Reider got as many pts. on the PP as Panik in only 24 minutes. It only took Panik 148.
The comment was in regards to points and playoffs, it doesn't matter if they are PP points or not.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Regarding ice-time, for all any one knows, Stepan gets that ice-time because he loses less effectiveness compared to the others with that added in the eyes of the coaches. I assume next season he's still on the second-unit or off of it entirely.

Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, and Keller will assuredly make up a unit barring any major free agent signings or trades this summer. That second unit tended to be Stepan, Panik, and Fischer for a while, but then different guys filled in as injuries came in and Fischer's effectiveness went away as he was replaced by Cousins for a bit and Garland when Galchenyuk came back.

One other thought with the powerplay is the use of 3F and 2D. A lot of teams run 4F. I don't know if it's just the thought that we lack talent so we don't run that, but I think slotting in Fischer as 4F and just planting him in front of the net could be what he needs. I wouldn't conclude that he's an ineffective presence on the powerplay when the team was terrible at it as a whole, and particularly when looking at whom he was saddled with.

I'd run Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, Keller, and Fischer with OEL on the first and then you can run Goligoski/Chychrun/Oesterle as a D pair on the 2nd unit because I doubt the forwards we'd slot in are capable enough to warrant running with only 1D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Regarding ice-time, for all any one knows, Stepan gets that ice-time because he loses less effectiveness compared to the others with that added in the eyes of the coaches. I assume next season he's still on the second-unit or off of it entirely.

Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, and Keller will assuredly make up a unit barring any major free agent signings or trades this summer. That second unit tended to be Stepan, Panik, and Fischer for a while, but then different guys filled in as injuries came in and Fischer's effectiveness went away as he was replaced by Cousins for a bit and Garland when Galchenyuk came back.

One other thought with the powerplay is the use of 3F and 2D. A lot of teams run 4F. I don't know if it's just the thought that we lack talent so we don't run that, but I think slotting in Fischer as 4F and just planting him in front of the net could be what he needs. I wouldn't conclude that he's an ineffective presence on the powerplay when the team was terrible at it as a whole, and particularly when looking at whom he was saddled with.

I'd run Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, Keller, and Fischer with OEL on the first and then you can run Goligoski/Chychrun/Oesterle as a D pair on the 2nd unit because I doubt the forwards we'd slot in are capable enough to warrant running with only 1D.
Fischer shouldn't even be considered for the PP at this time. Stepan will be a regular on the PP, you can bet on that.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In terms of "sandpaper" I was going to suggest we take a look at Hornqvist, especially if the Pens want to do a shakeup after an early exit. You get some sandpaper and scoring all in one without the stupid (Kadri, etc). But, his contract is a little out of whack. 5.3 mil (cash) for another 4 years, and he's already 32.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Fischer+45 to FLA for Luongo+13

2. 13 to PIT for Kessel

Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel
Galchenyuk-Dvo-Stroza
Crouse-Stepan-Grabner
Cousins-Richy-Garland
Archibald

OEL-Demers