Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #4 - It’s Getting Better All The Time (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He works harder than I expected. Does some dirty work. Extremely slick with the puck. Better playmaker than I thought. Surprised they gave up on him at center. Still makes the occasional bone-headed play and isn't consistently great on D. I can see why coaches get frustrated. But he deserved better than he got from this staff in terms of linemates and TOI.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What is this fanbase's perception of Alex Galchenyuk, now that he has plated a nearly complete season here?
Plays the game with more heart and hustle than I expected. He was probably our best forward this year, despite being out with injury to start, and then less than 100% for a significant period of time. The overall injury situation led to his ice-time/linemates situation being a complete mess. No opportunity to develop chemistry.

I like him a lot. I have faith that he will have a big year next season, with any luck. I hope he signs an extension first. :)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He works harder than I expected. Does some dirty work. Extremely slick with the puck. Better playmaker than I thought. Surprised they gave up on him at center. Still makes the occasional bone-headed play and isn't consistently great on D. I can see why coaches get frustrated. But he deserved better than he got from this staff in terms of linemates and TOI.

One thing that surprised me about Gally was his commitment to backchecking. You'd have thought from some of the Habs fans' complaints about him that he was soft and lacked motivation, but I never saw that with us.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I have feeling he is not one of RT's favs. I think RT will force Chayka to trade him early next season, if not before. Hope I'm wrong.

That's something I also worry about.

I also think he could have a good year next year and would like to get that extension signed. Definitely don't want to jettison him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Thanks guys.

I am surprised by how positive you are. Relative to their histories, Galchenyuk took a step back, and Domi took a step forward. I would expect a more negative response, but perhaps I am biased by the usual negativity on the Habs board.

Any specific thoughts on each of Galchenyuk's 5on5 versus 5on4 play, speed, relationships with other players, dedication level, and progression throughout the season?

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just went through Craig's Q&A article.

Couple takeaways:

1. It doesn't sound like MacLean will be fired or that there is interest in the Florida PP guy. A "veteran voice" added to the coaching staff sounds more likely.

2. Craig projected some UFAs who could be of interest: Dzingel, Eberle, Lee, Nelson.

rt

May 13, 2004
Just went through Craig's Q&A article.

Couple takeaways:

1. It doesn't sound like MacLean will be fired or that there is interest in the Florida PP guy. A "veteran voice" added to the coaching staff sounds more likely.

2. Craig projected some UFAs who could be of interest: Dzingel, Eberle, Lee, Nelson.
1. MacLean is already that. That’s what he’s suited for. They should bring in a legitimate coach who can actually run a PP and shift MacLean over to the bullshit feelings/mascot role. I think that’s what they’ll ultimately decide to do. He’s incompetent but they like him. They’re already talking about creating a BS role. I think they’ll move him to it.

2. I don’t think this is based on anything but Craig taking a cursory glance at upcoming UFA crop and naming guys under 30 who might get less than 6m avg. and would actually be top six additions. It didn’t strike me as based on much more than the same idle speculation we fans are prone to.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Mosby said:
1. It doesn't sound like MacLean will be fired or that there is interested in the Florida PP guy. A "veteran voice" added to the coaching staff sounds more likely.
Hate being right about this team all the time.

When does the Shane Doan "development and acclamation" coach tenure begin?

Reactions: Sinurgy

rt

May 13, 2004
Jesus ****ing Christ. They need to fire the living **** out of him.
I still have hope they'll hire a competent replacement to do the meaningful PP work, and he'll slide into the "communicator"/"liaison" role that Craig has referenced a few times that the team is looking to add. Honestly, it MacLean could have value there. They like him for a reason. I'm fine with that outcome. Just give the PP to someone else.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I still have hope they'll hire a competent replacement to do the meaningful PP work, and he'll slide into the "communicator"/"liaison" role that Craig has referenced a few times that the team is looking to add. Honestly, it MacLean could have value there. They like him for a reason. I'm fine with that outcome. Just give the PP to someone else.

I guess if we're going to pay MacLean (we'd still owe him if fired), we may as well make up a job for him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Move MacLean upstairs as a second video coach or use him to go over videos of upcoming opponents. Man has coaching skills and that way we don't eat his contract for another year or two. Let Tocchet run the power play himself.

rt

May 13, 2004
Move MacLean upstairs as a second video coach or use him to go over videos of upcoming opponents. Man has coaching skills and that way we don't eat his contract for another year or two. Let Tocchet run the power play himself.
Tocchet said he wants to take some of the communication and liaising off of his plate and hire someone to do that. Maybe he should just take over the PP himself and push those other responsibilities onto MacLean more. I’d like to see what Tocchet could do with more control of the PP. I’d prefer some fresh eyes/fresh voice but anything to distance MacLean at this point.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet said he wants to take some of the communication and liaising off of his plate and hire someone to do that. Maybe he should just take over the PP himself and push those other responsibilities onto MacLean more. I’d like to see what Tocchet could do with more control of the PP. I’d prefer some fresh eyes/fresh voice but anything to distance MacLean at this point.
No way. The way he favors Stepan he would be out there for the full two minute PP.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have feeling he is not one of RT's favs. I think RT will force Chayka to trade him early next season, if not before. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm nervous about that too, I'm still baffled by the "hey let's not put Alex on the power play" thing they did for a few games. That kid is a scoring machine on the power play, he should ALWAYS be on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->