2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So hexy said elliott had two abdomen injuries last year reports at the time said groin and they basically had him play it through it citing two surgeries. Now he is out with lower body injury again. Fair to say that went about as well as expected.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
this team desperately needs a line shakeup. they only have one line right now that is a threat.

what does everyone think of these lines?

Giroux - Patrick - Voracek
JVR - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Laughton - Simmonds

Reactions: dats81 and Rebels57

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Cocaine Jori, the always safe & reliable 2nd pair of Hagg - AMac, and Simmer on the 2nd line are a go tonight. Thanks, Hak.

Since I find this lineup unpleasant. I spent my toilet time wisely. Consulting the fancy stat player comparison tool. This helped in constructing a lineup that focuses on both winning and actual player development. Meant to hopefully elavate some young players and not be a one line team. Yes, I am the new KrazyKat.

Even Strength...

Giroux - Couturier - Lindblom
Note: Playing your 3 best forwards on one line is stupid, Jeff. Crosby plays with f***ing Dominik Simon. Couts & G can play with Oskar "Fancy stats" Lindblom. Balance the damn lineup.

van Reimsdyk - Patrick - Konecny
Note: Getting Patrick going is pretty much my #1 priority. Start catering to the kid. Giving him Dale Weise or Simmer is the opposite.

Voracek - Vorobyev - Aube-Kubel
Note: Your playing LW, Jake. Tough shit. Now help develop some kids. A sheltered scoring line with 2 kids who deserve a chance.

Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds
Note: An acceptable 4th line.

X: Weise
X: Weal

Defense...

Provorov
Gostisbehere

Sanheim
Gudas

Hagg
Myers

X: Folin

PowerPlay...

Patrick - van Reimsdyk
Giroux - Gostisbehere
Sanheim
Note: Having Ghost's one-timer on the wall has been my idea since forever.

Simmonds - Vorobyev
Konecny - Voracek
Myers
Note: Sorry Provy & Couts. I'm cutting your ice-time for your own good. No PP time for you two.

PK...

Couturier - Lindblom
Provorov - Gudas

Laughton - Raffl
Hagg - Myers

*Waived: Lehtera, MacDonald

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cocaine Jori, the always safe & reliable 2nd pair of Hagg - AMac, and Simmer on the 2nd line are a go tonight. Thanks, Hak.

Since I find this lineup unpleasant. I spent my toilet time wisely. Consulting the fancy stat player comparison tool. This helped in constructing a lineup that focuses on both winning and actual player development. Meant to hopefully elavate some young players and not be a one line team. Yes, I am the new KrazyKat.

Even Strength...

Note: Playing your 3 best forwards on one line is stupid, Jeff. Crosby plays with ****ing Dominik Simon. Couts & G can play with Oskar "Fancy stats" Lindblom. Balance the damn lineup.

Note: Getting Patrick going is pretty much my #1 priority. Start catering to the kid. Giving him Dale Weise or Simmer is the opposite.

Note: Your playing LW, Jake. Tough ****. Now help develop some kids. A sheltered scoring line with 2 kids who deserve a chance.

Defense...

Provorov
Gostisbehere

Sanheim
Gudas

Hagg
Myers

PowerPlay...

Patrick - van Reimsdyk
Giroux - Gostisbehere
Sanheim

Simmonds - Vorobyev
Konecny - Voracek
Myers
Note: Sorry Provy & Couts. I'm cutting your ice-time for your own good. No PP time for you two.

PK...

Couturier - Lindblom
Provorov - Gudas

Laughton - Raffl
Hagg - Myers

I dig it.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Can someone make a montage of MacDonald sliding across the ice to block shots to clips of Clement moaning? It'd be the most hideous thing

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Even Strength...

Note: Playing your 3 best forwards on one line is stupid, Jeff. Crosby plays with ****ing Dominik Simon. Couts & G can play with Oskar "Fancy stats" Lindblom. Balance the damn lineup.

Note: Your playing LW, Jake. Tough ****. Now help develop some kids. A sheltered scoring line with 2 kids who deserve a chance.

Defense...

Provorov
Gostisbehere

Sanheim
Gudas

Hagg
Myers

PowerPlay...

Patrick - van Reimsdyk
Giroux - Gostisbehere
Sanheim

Simmonds - Vorobyev
Konecny - Voracek
Myers

PK...

Couturier - Lindblom
Provorov - Gudas

Laughton - Raffl
Hagg - Myers

Of all the hiveminds, our hivemind is the best. :thumbu:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
They desperately need to try a new PP setup. The formula they've used for years has grown stale and caters too much to Giroux's preference to the detriment of the other positions. The current setup works best for teams with strong one-timer options on the wings, but that's honestly not what makes Giroux so effective on the PP and Voracek isn't exactly a major scoring threat.

I think they should try something similar to what the Leafs are doing. Put Giroux on the right side, so JVR can play on his strong side and be a better passing option. Take out Couturier, who's simply not a great fit for that mid slot role. In his place, put either Konecny or Patrick. Voracek can play on the left side, where he can make quicker passes to JVR and Patrick as they roam to new passing lanes.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hextall didn’t ruin this team. He did a massive amount to help it.
Yeah this piling on Hext is getting crazy. Up to this year, he did everything right except for dealing with the coaching issue. And then failed that again this offseason. This offseason was the time to turn the page, and he did not. And he is now paying the price.

But him rebuilding the prospect pool and cleaning up the cap issue needed to be done and he did a great job of that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah this piling on Hext is getting crazy. Up to this year, he did everything right except for dealing with the coaching issue. And then failed that again this offseason. This offseason was the time to turn the page, and he did not. And he is now paying the price.

But him rebuilding the prospect pool and cleaning up the cap issue needed to be done and he did a great job of that.

Yup.

Some people are trying too hard to downplay everything he did and it really makes no sense.

There’s definitely valid things to dislike but we can still appreciate all the great things that he did do.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I just ran the numbers this morning...

Provorov and Hägg are arguably both in the top 4 amongst NHL Dmen in terms of toughest usage... alongside Pietrangelo and Manson. No-one else sees the ZSR, TOI QoC and Corsi QoC combo those guys do.

By the overall numbers Provy and Hägg have an argument to be doing the best job of those 4 at 5v5... #1 and #2 in scoring comfortably... and #2 and #3 in every other meaningful category after Pietrangelo, who they are not far off.

Their minutes pretty much do not allow you to get over 50% Corsi or 49% ExGF... that is pretty much as much as you can ask for, and both their 5v5 scoring rates are "fine".

They are not going to do any better unless their usage becomes more normal.

These are 21 and 23 year olds who when paired together have had to do things no other NHL pairing is expected to do. And they have done a reasonable job tbh (sans awful netminding behind them making it look worse than it is.)

The Flyers are arguably handicapping themselves by using two dmen so heavily vs oppositions best players. No pairing should get that usage... especially given Sanheim-Gudas has been DOMINANT, yet not trusted any more than at the start of the season.

It would not be so bad either if MacDonald (the guy on the pair generally getting the 2nd line assignments...) had not been one of the worst Dmen in the league this year by the numbers (40% ExGF)

But it basically means that no matter what the top six forwards do the only battles the team can win on a regular basis are the bottom six ones.

As one pairing is going to get outplayed every game with AMac on.
And another pairing has minutes that mean they pretty much have to be perfect to break even.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, over the last FOUR seasons before this there have been only 12 defensemen who have played the combo of ZSR, QoC TOI and QoC Corsi that those two have got...

the average results:

0.7 5v5 P/60
46.1% Corsi
47% ExGF

0/12 ever managed over 48.5% Corsi.

And of those 12 only Erik Johnson in 15-16 had tougher TOI QoC than Provorov is getting...

These are not bad players either... Johnson, Vlasic, Giordano, Brodie, Greene, Braun, Daley are all on the list, some multiple times.

A Dman cannot "win" in such minutes unless they are pretty much the best Dman in the league, and even then they might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad