2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just ran the numbers this morning...

Provorov and Hägg are arguably both in the top 4 amongst NHL Dmen in terms of toughest usage... alongside Pietrangelo and Manson. No-one else sees the ZSR, TOI QoC and Corsi QoC combo those guys do.

By the overall numbers Provy and Hägg have an argument to be doing the best job of those 4 at 5v5... #1 and #2 in scoring comfortably... and #2 and #3 in every other meaningful category after Pietrangelo, who they are not far off.

Their minutes pretty much do not allow you to get over 50% Corsi or 49% ExGF... that is pretty much as much as you can ask for, and both their 5v5 scoring rates are "fine".

They are not going to do any better unless their usage becomes more normal.

These are 21 and 23 year olds who when paired together have had to do things no other NHL pairing is expected to do. And they have done a reasonable job tbh (sans awful netminding behind them making it look worse than it is.)

The Flyers are arguably handicapping themselves by using two dmen so heavily vs oppositions best players. No pairing should get that usage... especially given Sanheim-Gudas has been DOMINANT, yet not trusted any more than at the start of the season.

It would not be so bad either if MacDonald (the guy on the pair generally getting the 2nd line assignments...) had not been one of the worst Dmen in the league this year by the numbers (40% ExGF)

But it basically means that no matter what the top six forwards do the only battles the team can win on a regular basis are the bottom six ones.

As one pairing is going to get outplayed every game with AMac on.
And another pairing has minutes that mean they pretty much have to be perfect to break even.

Sounds like we need a new coach.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Amazing how so many issues come down to this.
It's been four years counting with the current head coach. The revelation of documented issues above are no longer amazing. It's old hat, expected.

You are bad at word choice, and I will call you out on an Internet message board for all the few readers to see it.

#ObviousHeelTurn

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Let's be honest here, hakstol is given vote of confidence just for the sake of the team. No organization is going to **** on its coach, I bet locker room is in enough disarray as it is.
Still just hire quenville and get it over with!

As is they've already crapped on him a remarkable amount by indicating that replacing him was a factor in dumping Hex.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
What the f*** is with this team? Simmer is cooked. Jake is disaster. JVR has been about as useful as Lehtera, that's how putrid his play is. Patrick looks nothing like he did in playoffs and even raffl somehow looks like matt read levels of slow. Only Lindblom has looked consistently good.

I thought this is the year where we would finally have depth up front, but it seems as crappy as ever.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What the **** is with this team? Simmer is cooked. Jake is disaster. JVR has been about as useful as Lehtera, that's how putrid his play is. Patrick looks nothing like he did in playoffs and even raffl somehow looks like matt read levels of slow. Only Lindblom has looked consistently good.

I thought this is the year where we would finally have depth up front, but it seems as crappy as ever.
Coaching and system matters.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What the **** is with this team? Simmer is cooked. Jake is disaster. JVR has been about as useful as Lehtera, that's how putrid his play is. Patrick looks nothing like he did in playoffs and even raffl somehow looks like matt read levels of slow. Only Lindblom has looked consistently good.

It certainly doesn’t help that JVR and Voracek are being used horribly wrong.

JVR-Patrick-Simmonds never had a chance to work and Jake on the 3rd line is insanely idiotic.

The only time our top line had help this year was when they had Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek, but Lindblom must’ve plowed Hakstols wife because he’s in the doghouse for absolutely no reason.

Also, the only time the PP worked this year was when it had G, Couts, Ghost, Patrick, and TK on it, but of course Hakstol immediately changes that after they finally start scoring.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

That isnt on coach. Players have to nut up and Lindbolm could go to the AHL IMO.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Plugging more toys into Hakstol is a waste of time.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It certainly doesn’t help that JVR and Voracek are being used horribly wrong.

JVR-Patrick-Simmonds never had a chance to work and Jake on the 3rd line is insanely idiotic.

The only time our top line had help this year was when they had Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek, but Lindblom must’ve plowed Hakstols wife because he’s in the doghouse for absolutely no reason.

Also, the only time the PP worked this year was when it had G, Couts, Ghost, Patrick, and TK on it, but of course Hakstol immediately changes that after they finally start scoring.

Actually the only time the 2nd line looked good was Lindblom - Patrick - TK. Any line with TK has looked good.

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek: GF/GA 3/6 Corsi 43.4%
Weise - Patrick - Voradcek: GF/GA 0/5 Corsi 42.4%
Keep Voracek away from Patrick.

Weal - Simmonds and JVR/Weise at LW have been our second best combo

Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually the only time the 2nd line looked good was Lindblom - Patrick - TK. Any line with TK has looked good.

Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek: GF/GA 3/6 Corsi 43.4%
Weise - Patrick - Voradcek: GF/GA 0/5 Corsi 42.4%
Keep Voracek away from Patrick.

Weal - Simmonds and JVR/Weise at LW have been our second best combo

Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

It's hilarious that you ignore the Weise factor on that line. Yeah, I'm sure the driving issue there is the top flight RW and not the misused human horse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That isnt on coach. Players have to nut up and Lindbolm could go to the AHL IMO.
It needs pointing out again.

At the time of Lindblom's demotion from the 2nd line....to the 4th line, he was:

39th in LW in points in the league...while 83rd in icetime
26th in LW ES points in the league....while 68th in icetime

Him getting demoted was the stupidest decision....and Hak has stuck with it for 5 games. Lindblom has no reason to go to the AHL. Play him like he deserves and delivers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's hilarious that you ignore the Weise factor on that line. Yeah, I'm sure the driving issue there is the top flight RW and not the misused human horse.

Weise factor on what line?
Weise has been fine on the 3rd line, played a couple games on the 2nd line which is not included in those numbers.

Face it, Voracek has been putrid, he doesn't fit and move him while he still has value and use his cap room for a more suitable player this summer. Sometimes it's not the talent, but how that talent fits with other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad