NBA 2018-19 Regular Season Thread Part II

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I still can't see the Pens missing the playoffs with this roster though, despite them being in a rough patch at the moment. We've seen this story before from Pittsburgh and they've ended up being fine.

As for the Lakers, yeah the hype they get in the NBA is similar to the coverage that the Maple Leafs get from the NHL media. No matter how good or bad they are, you'll still constantly hear about them, but I guess that's just how the business works given they both have the largest fan-bases in each league. Bottom line, the Lakers have to land at least one big FA or make a blockbuster trade if LBJ wants any chance at winning another ring with him being the squad's best player, cuz as great as he is, he's gonna be 35 at minimum by the time the Lakers can actually field a contending team.

The Rockets are a strange team. They always seem to play the top teams really well but can be prone to being upset by mediocre to crappy teams. Despite GSW being the overwhelming favs to three-peat, I do think the Rockets, along with OKC have a shot at upsetting GSW this year if they play really well as a collective bunch for a whole series, mixed with the Warriors getting sloppy. I mean they certainly have the weapons to do so. Capela is still a nightmare matchup for most of the GSW roster, Harden is playing the best he's ever played, CP3 when healthy is still an elite PG and they have solid role players all around. Overall, it should be an exciting spring in both the NHL and NBA

Much like with the Warriors, I don't put too much stock in the occasional regular season loss to lesser teams for Houston. Or the blown lead that they often give up. It makes me laugh when I hear people blather on about Harden's streak not being good for the team, or how Houston's style of play won't do well in the playoffs. They all seem to forget that "Houston's style" took the Warriors to seven games last year, and it's a very fair argument that they would have beaten the Warriors had Paul not gotten hurt in Game 5. In Golden State's other three playoff series combined, they lost a total of two games.

It's really the media anyway that hypes up Harden's scoring streak. Here in Houston nobody really cares much about it. But until someone proves otherwise they're the only team I think that could beat Golden State. The main thing is they're not intimidated by them, at all. They know they can play with them, and they've been able to win consistently in Oakland too. We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully they'll stay healthy.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So you wouldn't care who you play?
No, i'm just saying there's more to it then the opponent just 'cruising'.

This is a learning year for them. The last 3 games have been played in the Nuggets, Warriors and Thunder's arenas and they could have won all of them and instead won just 1. Kings have been right there with the top teams (outside of Hou), they just have to learn how to play the final 2 minutes of games.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As for the Lakers, yeah the hype they get in the NBA is similar to the coverage that the Maple Leafs get from the NHL media. No matter how good or bad they are, you'll still constantly hear about them, but I guess that's just how the business works given they both have the largest fan-bases in each league. Bottom line, the Lakers have to land at least one big FA or make a blockbuster trade if LBJ wants any chance at winning another ring with him being the squad's best player, cuz as great as he is, he's gonna be 35 at minimum by the time the Lakers can actually field a contending team.

The Lakers are the most successful franchise in NBA history (yes I know the C's have 1 more title; theres more to it than that) and play in La-La Land so theres a lot of reasons why you always hear about them.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Lakers are the Maple Leafs of the NBA for sure. Winning or not they're always going to be a team that will command the attention of the league and those around it.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The Lakers are the most successful franchise in NBA history (yes I know the C's have 1 more title; theres more to it than that) and play in La-La Land so theres a lot of reasons why you always hear about them.

I love it - the guy that cheers for the team with the 2nd most NBA Championships ( and you really shouldn't even count the 5 that they won in Minneapolis ) says that there's more to being " the most successful franchise in NBA history " than NBA Championships. Is the number of HOFers the most important thing because Boston has you beat there too. And if you say that it's solely based on location then that's just sad.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the lakers are the most successful franchise in NBA history

disregard the # of titles won before 1980 from either franchise. titles won in the modern era are what really matter and the lakers have far more

Reactions: Voight

darko

Feb 16, 2009
A title is a title. Why is a title in 00's worth more than a title in the 80's? Celtics have had more success earlier while it's been the Lakers lately. Both are by far 2 most successful organizations in NBA.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
the lakers are the most successful franchise in NBA history

disregard the # of titles won before 1980 from either franchise. titles won in the modern era are what really matter and the lakers have far more

Complete BS. :thumbd: If just recent titles mean anything I guess Golden State is a more successful franchise than Boston and LA combined.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I love it - the guy that cheers for the team with the 2nd most NBA Championships ( and you really shouldn't even count the 5 that they won in Minneapolis ) says that there's more to being " the most successful franchise in NBA history " than NBA Championships. Is the number of HOFers the most important thing because Boston has you beat there too. And if you say that it's solely based on location then that's just sad.

The Celtics titles are all consolidated into two time periods pretty much - the 60s and 80s. The Lakers have won in every decade except the 60s. They have been a top team since the 1940s.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
A title is a title. Why is a title in 00's worth more than a title in the 80's? Celtics have had more success earlier while it's been the Lakers lately. Both are by far 2 most successful organizations in NBA.

Except when it comes to $$$... the Knicks are the most valuable.

Reactions: darko

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The chucker/flopper has his streak of 30 point games end. In Harden fashion, chucking 10 3s and hitting none of them.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The show goes on in LA...

rondo's been trash lately. and the entire team is a mess

they played well tonight but got 7 bench points. 7! way to put a roster together magic and rob. and how walton still has a job is beyond me

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The show goes on in LA...

He's not wrong, Rondo isn't good. He's just better than the other unplayable players Magic/Pelinka signed as free agents.

A lot of bad moves but the Brook Lopez decision is still the most confusing. They let him go, paid Rondo/Lance/Beasley more than what he got with the Bucks, and paid JaVale slightly less to replace him.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
rondo's been trash lately. and the entire team is a mess

they played well tonight but got 7 bench points. 7! way to put a roster together magic and rob. and how walton still has a job is beyond me

There was a story that published today that Lebron James took the game off against the Warriors due to 'load management'...when in truth he was producing an album with 2 Chainz.

Then after the loss to the Grizzlies, he said:

“If you are still allowing distractions to affect the way you play, then this is the wrong franchise to be a part of,”

What the heck is he talking about?

....there is an obvious power struggle with the Lakers management. Lebron in Miami was hands off as Pat Riley was the man in charge..we all know how Cleveland went but now with Los Angeles, looks like it's him vs Magic for power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad