Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just noticed that bowers is now listed at 6'2" on HDB, was previously lised at 6' before this WJC. Is this correct?, I figured he would be taller since they had that height there since he was in the USHL.

That previous listing was probably wrong. He measured in at 6'1.5" at the draft combine. They round up in a lot of cases there to 6'2".

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Didn't watch the entire UMass game, but the commentators were mentioning that someone in the NCAA world said that Makar is the current favourite to win the Hobey Baker.

The channel (FCS) I mentioned above for the game was the Maine Black Bears feed. During the game one of the announcers opined that Makar was the Hobey Baker Award favorite. I didn't catch the announcers name, nor do I know if he is credible or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
How is he at defending? All the points are nice but I wanna know if his defense is nearly NHL ready.

I thought Makar's defensive positioning and tracking were fine. His skating is superior, either with or without the puck. Love that extra gear he has to breakout, skate out of trouble, or close the gap defensively. Makar engages defensively in all zones with relative ease. Didn't see one play where he took a bad angle, was out of position, or "lost" his man. Doesn't get pushed around and plays bigger/stronger than his size might indicate. Very creative, excellent puck control, and is dangerous with the puck. I can see why the Maine Black Bear announcer thought he was the Hobey Baker Award favorite :)

My first time to see Makar play at length and he left me with an assurance he can play in the NHL with continued development.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The channel (FCS) I mentioned above for the game was the Maine Black Bears feed. During the game one of the announcers opined that Makar was the Hobey Baker Award favorite. I didn't catch the announcers name, nor do I know if he is credible or not.

Well could be as simple as looking at the current results on the site. Last I checked he was ahead by a fair amount. I'm not sure what percentage of the award is vote based though.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar is such a beauty prospect damn. Not only does he show a ton of skill and put up a lot of points, he also has the ability to dominate a game defensively at the NCAA level. He is not going to be a limited offense only player like Barrie. The best drafted prospect not playing in the NHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How is he at defending? All the points are nice but I wanna know if his defense is nearly NHL ready.
Some people will say his defending is fine and it probably is, but I don't consider it a strong part of his game. I say this because as I mentioned in my last post is that UMass honestly doesn't need him to defend. They really rely on him offencively, so because of that he tends to jump into the play a lot. He was fine with Canada at the WJC though defencively and can play a wide range of different games depending on the what the coach needs from him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He takes chances but has the skating to recover with ease, obviously not nearly as talented, but he reminds me of Orr in that departement. He would too dangle all over the ice, jump up the play, lose the puck and then caught up with the other guy in 5 strides. Very defensively responsible, but has work to do there to be used as a go to guy on top pairing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think anyone expects Defense to be the strong part of Makar's game. But that's more because of ridiculously talented he is offensively and with the puck. He's still fine defensively and I suspect will be the best of all 3 of Girard/Barrie/Makar on the Defensive side of things, mostly because of how good a skater he is and how strongly he thinks the game, and being a little bigger then those guys will help him a lot as well. Wont have as much difficult dealing with the heavy forecheck in the NHL.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Makar's D game is not great but it's not a liability as well. He should be more than fine at the NHL level. With that being said with the Avs he should be paired with a more defensive dman that can also handle the puck and the physical aspect of that pairing (although Makar doesn't shy away from physical play himself).

On another note, for anyone interested, Saigeon is playing on Sportnet at 3:30pm ET this afternoon.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I have very little concern about Makar's defensive capabilities. He's smart and able enough to improve it, not that I think it's even a big issue.

Reactions: klozge

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar's defensive game is much better than what the other NCAA big scoring defensemen, like Quinn Hughes, have to offer

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tyler Weiss obviously lost a bit of momentum with his injury which he's finally starting to get some rhythm back, however...

5'10" and 155 lbs has 33 PIM in 12 games, lol.
2018-19
6.png
Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha
NCAA 1212333-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I thought Makar's defensive positioning and tracking were fine. His skating is superior, either with or without the puck. Love that extra gear he has to breakout, skate out of trouble, or close the gap defensively. Makar engages defensively in all zones with relative ease. Didn't see one play where he took a bad angle, was out of position, or "lost" his man. Doesn't get pushed around and plays bigger/stronger than his size might indicate. Very creative, excellent puck control, and is dangerous with the puck. I can see why the Maine Black Bear announcer thought he was the Hobey Baker Award favorite :)

My first time to see Makar play at length and he left me with an assurance he can play in the NHL with continued development.

That's the thing that separates Makar from other purely offensive PMD's, in the way he approaches defense. Makar may not be a defensive stud at the NHL level, but he competes hard defensively, and battles physically. He doesn't just shadow his assignment around the ice, trying to stay in passing lanes. He tries to separate them from the puck and breakup plays.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That's the thing that separates Makar from other purely offensive PMD's, in the way he approaches defense. Makar may not be a defensive stud at the NHL level, but he competes hard defensively, and battles physically. He doesn't just shadow his assignment around the ice, trying to stay in passing lanes. He tries to separate them from the puck and breakup plays.

I agree he plays hard, but that's the one part of the game I don't know if it will translate into the NHL. Being able to battle physically and use his body at the college level is one thing, doing it in the NHL is another.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys just curious about Nick Henry, what’s his upside and what’s the plan with him next year? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad