Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No clue where Annunen, Werner or Shmakov belong, so no goalies on my list. Tiers are very loosely ranked on some combination of reachable potential, how far away they are, how versatile/adaptable their game is, and personal preferences...but I wouldn't argue vehemently against any order you want to put the A's into, and with few exceptions the B's.

Bluechip
:
Cale Makar, RHD

A-Prospect:
Martin Kaut, W
Tyson Jost, W
Shane Bowers, C/W
Connor Timmins, RHD
Nicolas Meloche, RHD*

B-Prospect:
A.J. Greer, W
Igor Shvyrev, C/W
Tyler Weiss, W
Nikolai Kovalenko, W
Ty Lewis, W
Sampo Ranta, W
Cam Morrison, C/W

I know nobody else likes Mel as much as I do, but I can't help that y'all don't see the Foote/Manson-clone that's right in front of you :dunno:
I like your list as far as tiers. However I would probably move Timmins above Jost and Bowers due to his ceiling. At this point I would probably move Bowers above Jost as well but I'm OK with Jost above Bowers also due to him having already reach the NHL. Kovalenko would be moved just below Greer as well. I was very impressed by him in the WJC. But like you said they are all pretty close to each others within these tiers except for Timming IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like your list as far as tiers. However I would probably move Timmins above Jost and Bowers due to his ceiling. At this point I would probably move Bowers above Jost as well but I'm OK with Jost above Bowers also due to him having already reach the NHL. Kovalenko would be moved just below Greer as well. I was very impressed by him in the WJC. But like you said they are all pretty close to each others within these tiers except for Timming IMO.

I didn't really rank the A's at all and just ordered them as they popped into my head, thus them being organized positionally.

The B's have a little more order to their placement...at least on the extremes of the tier; as Morrison & Ranta are the two B's I have the least expectations for while Greer & Shvyryov are probably my favorites. With Weiss / Kovalenko / Lewis all being guys I don't really expect anything from, but whom I could see any of becoming Compher-esque middle 6ers.

Even with Ranta, it's not that I dislike him as a longterm project; it's just he's got so much work to do & experience to gain that it's tough to expect him to make it all of the way to that interesting potential...but it's good to add prospects like him to the pipeline, kids that can be developed slowly over time & maybe we get an ELC contributor or two out of it at a time where we need the extra little bit of capspace.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I didn't really rank the A's at all and just ordered them as they popped into my head, thus them being organized positionally.

The B's have a little more order to their placement...at least on the extremes of the tier; as Morrison & Ranta are the two B's I have the least expectations for while Greer & Shvyryov are probably my favorites. With Weiss / Kovalenko / Lewis all being guys I don't really expect anything from, but whom I could see any of becoming Compher-esque middle 6ers.

Even with Ranta, it's not that I dislike him as a longterm project; it's just he's got so much work to do & experience to gain that it's tough to expect him to make it all of the way to that interesting potential...but it's good to add prospects like him to the pipeline, kids that can be developed slowly over time & maybe we get an ELC contributor or two out of it at a time where we need the extra little bit of capspace.
Got you on the As. As for the Bs I think we are very close on our ranking. You seem to like Shvyrev more than I do and vice versa on Kovalenko.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Go vote for Makar here please:

The Voting Page for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award

2RdXJxy.png

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Please leave Jost in Loveland for now. The Avs are falling apart, and he's not going to stop it, so just let him continue doing his thing.

Reactions: klozge

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jost finally gets a point!

He needs to stay in the AHL for the season. Can’t improve the AVs sinking season. Playing with steady linemates in Greer and Kaut could rebuild his confidence to save his career.

Reactions: klozge

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Good news about Justus Annunen. We all know he had a bad start with a sub 0.880 SV%. Recently though he's worked his way up to a 0.894 SV% which on the surface isn't great but for me it's always been about the improvement which he's at least doing statistically.

Also with Spencer Martin being in his 4th AHL season and Adam Werner looking like he'll join the team next season this is slightly relevant reading:

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I just noticed that bowers is now listed at 6'2" on HDB, was previously lised at 6' before this WJC. Is this correct?, I figured he would be taller since they had that height there since he was in the USHL.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I just noticed that bowers is now listed at 6'2" on HDB, was previously lised at 6' before this WJC. Is this correct?, I figured he would be taller since they had that height there since he was in the USHL.
BU has him at 6'2" and 188 lbs so I would bet that is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad