Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
TV! You're alive!

SweetZombieJesus.jpg

Reactions: S E P H

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Considering how Rants has turned out the euro scouting staff can do what they please with a 16th overall pick. I haven't actually seen Kaut play but his production looks more than acceptable for a first year NA player. Besides there were too many questions marks around Veleno at the draft for my liking.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guys like Veleno and Wilde tumbled pretty hard IIRC. It's not like the Avs were the only team to overlook those guys, and there are guys like that every year. If Veleno pans out then good for them because I thought after the first round the Wings did quite well. They snagged not one, but two guys who fell from their respective rankings in the draft.

I think it's kinda premature to say it was a "mistake" though. Neither player is in the NHL right now. I suppose I need to remind at least one poster here that there that there were some laments about the fact that Brock Boeser slipped through the Avs' fingers in lieu of the big, slow, easily toppled Finnish winger they ended up with. Interesting that those laments have fallen silent this year.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
people always ***** and moan after the draft like years after before players even get to the NHL and and who in the world thought girard would be this good? no one outside nashville

There were many people who thought Girard played at a similar level to Chabot in the QMJHL. Obviously everything was there except for size, which he can clearly get by without.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
people always ***** and moan after the draft like years after before players even get to the NHL and and who in the world thought girard would be this good? no one outside nashville

People knew he was this good, it's just that a serious lack of size puts a ceiling on an NHL dman and GM's usually like their 1st rounders with higher ceilings. 6'1 Girard with the exact same skillset is a #1D in the league, but because of his size he'll probably top as a #3. A whole lot of his mistakes are size related and there's not much anyone can do about that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There were many people who thought Girard played at a similar level to Chabot in the QMJHL. Obviously everything was there except for size, which he can clearly get by without.
I thought Girard was better than Chabot in the Q in the 16/17 season.

Chabot had one of the best WJC showings I’ve ever witnessed that year though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's funny is the Buffalo fanbase is always looking for a 2C on the main board because Mittelstadt is currently there but can't do the job. Pretty damn similar to us.
Currently can't do the job. I understand people whining about Jost considering how our first line has projected us into the playoffs alone and those fans want to rush since we might waste their talent. Concerning Buffalo, they got nobody aging that's part of their core except Okposo and he should age well regarding on-ice playstyle. Sabres shouldn't rush at all, Mittelstadt is going to be great.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Currently can't do the job. I understand people whining about Jost considering how our first line has projected us into the playoffs alone and those fans want to rush since we might waste their talent. Concerning Buffalo, they got nobody aging that's part of their core except Okposo and he should age well regarding on-ice playstyle. Sabres shouldn't rush at all, Mittelstadt is going to be great.

The operative word there IMO is "rush."

Reactions: S E P H and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Nah, we just don’t want to sit on our hands & let other teams claim cups that should belong to us ;-)

Reactions: S E P H

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Guys like Veleno and Wilde tumbled pretty hard IIRC. It's not like the Avs were the only team to overlook those guys, and there are guys like that every year. If Veleno pans out then good for them because I thought after the first round the Wings did quite well. They snagged not one, but two guys who fell from their respective rankings in the draft.

I think it's kinda premature to say it was a "mistake" though. Neither player is in the NHL right now. I suppose I need to remind at least one poster here that there that there were some laments about the fact that Brock Boeser slipped through the Avs' fingers in lieu of the big, slow, easily toppled Finnish winger they ended up with. Interesting that those laments have fallen silent this year.

Ya It's hard to compare players until you see what they can do in the NHL. Also, i'm perfectly happy with how Kaut is producing but i'm unsure why Veleno is brought up. Personally I think Kupari or Miller are having a comparable/more impressive D+1 year than Veleno.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I think Bowers makes the team , he's one of the better skaters and Canada is aiming to have the fastest team ever . Formenton is questionable due to injury also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad