Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Happy for Timmins.

On a side note, Joe Veleno has been arguably the best CHL player this year. Some people are pissed about the Makar/Pettersson pick but it's nothing compared to Kaut/Veleno mistake in my book. We passed on a top 6 C who was clearly destined to be ours. I'm having a hard time to get over it. Sorry.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Just passing on some props for Bowers.

Happy for Timmins.

On a side note, Joe Veleno has been arguably the best CHL player this year. Some people are pissed about the Makar/Pettersson pick but it's nothing compared to Kaut/Veleno mistake in my book. We passed on a top 6 C who was clearly destined to be ours. I'm having a hard time to get over it. Sorry.

I liked him myself, but I'm not ready to get upset over it yet.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Happy for Timmins.

We’ll probably get our top 6c in the draft this year, Kaut has really grown on me as a prospect and if he can finish in that 0.6 ppg range this year while being solid defensively we might have a solid second line RW.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A little confused here? One is doing it in the NHL, and the other was post draft hype. (Not knocking Mitts but he hasn't shot out of a cannon to that level)

Sort of my point. I think Mittelstadt will get better but I think it's interesting we don't hear about him anymore.

To put it in perspective, Tyson Jost actually had the better draft+1 year in college, and scored at a higher pts/gm his draft+2 rookie year than Mittelstadt has so far.

Things might start to click and he'll pick it up towards the end of the year though. We'll have to see.

Either way I think taking a defenseman like Makar was the best idea at the time. Even if one of the forwards turns out the better player.

Reactions: Iracundia

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sort of my point. I think Mittelstadt will get better but I think it's interesting we don't hear about him anymore.

To put it in perspective, Tyson Jost actually had the better draft+1 year in college, and scored at a higher pts/gm his draft+2 rookie year than Mittelstadt has so far.

Things might start to click and he'll pick it up towards the end of the year though. We'll have to see.

Either way I think taking a defenseman like Makar was the best idea at the time. Even if one of the forwards turns out the better player.

Mitts has tools that Jost just does not. I get what you're saying though. Especially as a Makar fan, and someone who wasn't a fan of Jost as the pick that year.

I don't really blame people for voicing their frustrations either since I've been on both sides now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mitts has tools that Jost just does not. I get what you're saying though. Especially as a Makar fan, and someone who wasn't a fan of Jost as the pick that year.

I don't really blame people for voicing their frustrations either since I've been on both sides now.

Mittelstadt should be better than Jost if he reaches his potential, I agree.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mittelstadt should be better than Jost if he reaches his potential, I agree.

What's funny is the Buffalo fanbase is always looking for a 2C on the main board because Mittelstadt is currently there but can't do the job. Pretty damn similar to us.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

You mean that you didn't buy the hype on draft day that he was supposed to become "Jonathan Toews lite"? :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Happy for Timmins.

I'm mad they didn't draft Chekhovich in the 7th round, who has the same number of points as Veleno.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You mean that you didn't buy the hype on draft day that he was supposed to become "Jonathan Toews lite"? :laugh:

Nah, I wanted McAvoy, Brown, Chychrun pretty much in that order. No real secret to it outside of seeing MC as the best RHD in the draft, and a very intelligent player. Brown was the big potential C, and I thought the LD was underrated. Jost was a weird fit for me. Talented, but unless he became an offensive beast I didn't see him bringing element to the team outside of offensive production. Which is something that is not easy to project in how it will translate with certain players IMO. McAvoy obviously offered a OFD, Brown's downside being that he becomes more of a #3, and Chychrun a #4. I liked their floors better, and seen a role for each going forward at various levels of success. I didn't really see that for a player like Jost. I thought for where we were drafting the group of players were close enough to draft a guy that could fill a role we needed going forward.

Toews is f***ing 6'2 200+ lol. I'll never be on board with comparisons unless the player is at least somewhat similar in size. Call me a size queen, but there is just certain things you can and cannot do based on physical god given abilities.

Reactions: Balthazar

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
So happy to see Timmins progress like this. Obviously for his own health and career, but as a fan he is so important to the future of this team, especially with EJ's play so far this year. Having Makar and Timmins arrive in the next few years will allow us to make important organzitional changes elsewhere, and to be frank I like their potential more than I ever did with Barrie & EJ. Believe we have 2 very special players to add with G & Z on the back end.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Happy for Timmins.

You will feel better after the World Junior's , Kaut is gonna dominate

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Happy for Timmins.

Veleno is having a great year, but do people forget Kaut is playing in the AHL? This is Veleno's 4th full season in the QMJHL, of course he's going to dominate.

I'll give you the example of Sam Steel, who in his +1 season in the WHL put up 133 points in 66 games, and had a great WJC. Here we are two years later and he's still in the AHL.... where Kaut currently is.

Let's give it a couple of years, ok?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

People who say "skills competition" instead of shootout to be edgy should be drinking watered down beer in a chipped glass, on a stool with a nail sticking up out of it.

LZ1o.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Happy for Timmins.

He went at #30, Kid still has a loooooong way to go before he's a Top 6 Center in the NHL.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'm still sour about all the talented D the Avs left on the board in the 2016 draft. Picked Cameron Morrison in round 2, when Sam Girard, Kale Clague, Frederick Allard, and Adam Fox were still there... Least we got Girard in the end!

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
people always bitch and moan after the draft like years after before players even get to the NHL and and who in the world thought girard would be this good? no one outside nashville

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Happy for Timmins.

I honestly wanted Veleno as well, but Kaut has grown on me. Playing on the much more difficult AHL, he has performed well and likely the right choice.

Veleno fell dramatically in the draft due to concerns about his abilities were inflated by his team.

Last season with the struggling St Johns' his production fell dramatically. The prior season they were a championship team and averaged nearly 1 point per game, but couldn't carry the team when they struggled. This led to a trade to Drummondville. A stacked team, his production spiked which created doubts on his abilities.

He could ultimately be a draft steal, but the safer and right choice is Kaut.

Reactions: Perratrooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad