Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is always a double edged sword... put a player in the NHL just to appease them and keep them over other players who might have earned it over him, pissing them off. Or sending him to the AHL to earn it and risk him pulling an Mironov. You'd hope Kamenev just comes into camp and earns it so it isn't an issue in general.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think Kamanev will have a spot on the opening night roster, unless he absolutely sucks it up in training camp and pre-season. I'm almost 100% confident he's going straight to the KHL if he gets sent down. Imagine Sakic's going to do everything he can to see if he can stick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm almost 100% confident he's going straight to the KHL if he gets sent down.

This shit is getting problematic. If he's not good enough to make the team and wants to go back to Russia then we should let him go.

Reactions: MarkT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Kamenev plays well in camp and preseason then I hope he gets a NHL shot. It seems like they liked him enough and thought he was ready to contribute when they made the trade and immediately called him up. Well, either that or they promised him they would give him a legit shot. If Sakic truly felt this way about Kamenev in November then he should be given every opportunity to be on the opening night roster:

The only thing that has really changed since then is that he got hurt so if he's healthy and looking like himself then I think he should have a leg up on some of the other guys.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
This was from an ESPN+ article on prospects in the Central. Its ESPN and we know they only watch highlights and read other reports on hockey to know anything of the sport.

i

Colorado Avalanche

A prospects: Cale Makar and Conor Timmins
B prospects: Martin Kaut, Vladislav Kamenev, Sampo Ranta, Shane Bowers and Ty Lewis

The Avalanche's blue line of the future looks pretty strong with the especially skilled Makar and high-end, two-way defender Timmins in the fold. They might not provide immediate help -- Makar is returning for a second collegiate season at UMass, and Timmins has dealt with concussion symptoms all summer -- but they both have top-four potential. Beyond them, the Avs' pipeline lacks depth, but it's getting better.

Having acquired both Bowers and Kamenev when they traded away Matt Duchene, the Avs' farm system got a nice boost in the center department. The question is if either will manage to break into a more established role down the middle or on the wing. The team also landed versatile winger Kaut in the first round of the 2018 draft. While they picked him earlier than I would have, he showcased some solid playmaking skills in a strong draft season, suggesting he could be a good middle-six winger down the line.

The Avs have a group of young players contributing at the NHL level already, which is great for their future. There's still a fair amount of building that needs to be done in their farm system to continue filtering players to the NHL level to support their younger core, but it's in far better shape than it was heading into last season.

2018-19 NHL-level impact prospect: Conor Timmins
2018-19 breakout prospect: Sampo Ranta

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is much ado about nothing IMO. They're not going to put Kamenev in the NHL just to appease him. He's NHL ready in some capacity unless he has lost all motivation. He just wasn't totally in game shape and ready to jump back into the NHL after his injury last year.

That 4th line C job to start the year is basically Kam's to lose. He doesn't have a lot of strong competition there.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Am I the only one hoping that Nolan Foote falls to our 2nd pick in next years draft? I haven't wanted a player this bad since I wanted the Avs to take Carlo a couple years ago. It is admittedly just me being nostalgic. I haven't really seen any tape on Nolan so anybody got some opinions about him and or his game?

Reactions: Freaky Styley

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is much ado about nothing IMO. They're not going to put Kamenev in the NHL just to appease him. He's NHL ready in some capacity unless he has lost all motivation. He just wasn't totally in game shape and ready to jump back into the NHL after his injury last year.

That 4th line C job to start the year is basically Kam's to lose. He doesn't have a lot of strong competition there.
Apparently the Wilson-Kamenev-Sven line in camp has looked quite good, solid chemistry.

I wouldn't hate that if it ends up sticking.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Jost-Compher
Calvert-Soderberg-Nieto
Wilson-Kamenev-Sven

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't think Jimothy Timothy has the talent to be on the second line at this point. I see him as a bottom sixer. As much as Kam may hate it, I'd rather him play a top six role for the Eagles. They can bring up Shyv, Kam and Kaut as a line next season if they're ready.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't think Jimothy Timothy has the talent to be on the second line at this point. I see him as a bottom sixer. As much as Kam may hate it, I'd rather him play a top six role for the Eagles. They can bring up Shyv, Kam and Kaut as a line next season if they're ready.

I don't either, maybe swap Sven and Compher. But Kamenev is done with the AHL, there's no reason for him to be back there unless he completely shits the bed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Still not sold on the second line, but the third and forth lines look nice.

Not sure about that 4th line. Guys like Ghetto are pretty useless when they don't score and it's not something you want on a 4th line because that line won't score much.

I'd rather have Ghetto on the 2nd line and Compher on the 4th.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Söderberg again with the worst possible scrubs on the team for the season, eh?

Soda clicks better with keep it simple, gritty two way wingers, than he does with high skilled players. Give Calvert a chance too. Maybe he wins you over.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Soda clicks better with keep it simple, gritty two way wingers, than he does with high skilled players. Give Calvert a chance too. Maybe he wins you over.
Calvert will likely be a fan and team favorite, but it won't be for his offense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Calvert will likely be a fan and team favorite, but it won't be for his offense.

He won't be a high end offensive player, but a career season of 15 goals 30-35 points isn't out of the question IMO. If he can do something like that, he could form a very good 3rd line with Soda that can help contribute in the tighter, more physical games.

I don't think his production in Columbus with their style of play is a great indicator of what kind of points totals he'll put up in Colorado. Remember, he was actually a more productive player than Comeau when they were both in Columbus in 2013-14.

Comeau - 61 games - 5 goals - 11 assists - 16 points
Calvert - 56 games - 9 goals - 15 assists - 24 points

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Soderberg had faced the 3rd toughest QoC last year I believe, so its not surprising his line mates were more defensive focused but its also not a surprise they held down his offensive numbers. I'd be guessing he sticks with Nieto and they try Sven, JT, maybe Kamanev on his wing if he makes the team to help with that and add a bit more skill. Maybe Calvert plays well and earns a spot there but I'd rather see him and Wilson on the 4th line with a kid at C. If he gets stuck with both Nieto and Calvert we are looking at crazy defensive duties again for him, which he actually handles well.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He won't be a high end offensive player, but a career season of 15 goals 30-35 points isn't out of the question IMO. If he can do something like that, he could form a very good 3rd line with Soda that can help contribute in the tighter, more physical games.

I don't think his production in Columbus with their style of play is a great indicator of what kind of points totals he'll put up in Colorado. Remember, he was actually a more productive player than Comeau when they were both in Columbus in 2013-14.

Comeau - 61 games - 5 goals - 11 assists - 16 points
Calvert - 56 games - 9 goals - 15 assists - 24 points

Imo we shouldn't compare the 2 other than filling the lost PK spot. The growth should come from the kids getting increased rolls.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad