Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Imo we shouldn't compare the 2 other than filling the lost PK spot. The growth should come from the kids getting increased rolls.

The growth should definitely come from the younger players. Calvert will likely play the same role Comeau did though. Physical checking winger on a 3rd line, and one of the top PKers.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Soderberg had faced the 3rd toughest QoC last year I believe, so its not surprising his line mates were more defensive focused but its also not a surprise they held down his offensive numbers. I'd be guessing he sticks with Nieto and they try Sven, JT, maybe Kamanev on his wing if he makes the team to help with that and add a bit more skill. Maybe Calvert plays well and earns a spot there but I'd rather see him and Wilson on the 4th line with a kid at C. If he gets stuck with both Nieto and Calvert we are looking at crazy defensive duties again for him, which he actually handles well.

:nod:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ya I don't get why people get their panties in a bunch keeping Soda in the same role as last year and not putting him with more offensive guys. Don't you realize that was our recipe for success? Mack line outscores opponents, Soda line shuts them down = win. Plus, he's a great option on the 2nd PP to use his offense. It also allows the kids like Kerfoot and Jost to face easier matchups and add some secondary scoring.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya I don't get why people get their panties in a bunch keeping Soda in the same role as last year and not putting him with more offensive guys. Don't you realize that was our recipe for success? Mack line outscores opponents, Soda line shuts them down = win. Plus, he's a great option on the 2nd PP to use his offense. It also allows the kids like Kerfoot and Jost to face easier matchups and add some secondary scoring.

Well it would be nice if he could do the same thing and have wingers that produce a bit more.. Especially for road games when MacK's line gets all the attention.

I don't subscribe to the sentiment that he actually isn't good defensively, but I do think he'd score more without two offensive black holes next to him.

Reactions: MarkT

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Well it would be nice if he could do the same thing and have wingers that produce a bit more.. Especially for road games when MacK's line gets all the attention.

I don't subscribe to the sentiment that he actually isn't good defensively, but I do think he'd score more without two offensive black holes next to him.
We don't need him to score 5 v. 5 we need him (and his line) to shut down the opposition's best. If we throw Jost/Ghetto/Kerfoot on that line in a defensive role, that leaves the 'secondary scoring up to Nieto/Wilson/Calvert. Let the checking players have the defensive role with our shutdown centre, and let the young creative guys feast on 3rd/4th lines and 3rd pairing D. If Soda wants to produce, he can save it for the PP. I'm not opposed to throwing Compher on his right side, which may accomplish a bit of both, but I see no reason to move Nieto off a wing where he really thrived and developed great chemistry.

The only thing with Compher is that someone like Calvert or Wilson has a much stronger physical game, which really made that line effective and which we lost in Comeau. I've mentioned before that I thought Wilson did fine on that right side and if he's looking better than last year that's just a bonus. However, I'd like to see him on a line with Jost/Kerfoot to start, and have Calvert slot into that right side. I'm pretty sure it's what he was brought in for.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I think he does. He came to the draft, after all, that's not something every Russian player does (Shvyrev didn't). I think he means what he says about wanting to play in the NHL.

Yep, 3 more years. Hopefully he will mature physically and keep posting good numbers in KHL. Maybe he can have a chance to be a top 6 player for Avs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, Avs are quietly(Or maybe no so quietly) doing a very good job finding talent in Russia and getting that talent later in the draft.

Obviously its still early, but Shvy and Kovalenko are both looking like great value picks. And even despite the unfortunate end result with Mironov, he was certainly a good value pick as well in the 5th round, I think had things went a little different there was probably an NHL player out of him.

We'll see what we get out of Shvy, Kovalenko, Zhuravlyov, and Shmakov, but this is easily my favorite new thing that our scouting staff has started doing. Our willingness to draft players from Europe in general compared to under Pracey is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
We don't need him to score 5 v. 5 we need him (and his line) to shut down the opposition's best. If we throw Jost/Ghetto/Kerfoot on that line in a defensive role, that leaves the 'secondary scoring up to Nieto/Wilson/Calvert. Let the checking players have the defensive role with our shutdown centre, and let the young creative guys feast on 3rd/4th lines and 3rd pairing D. If Soda wants to produce, he can save it for the PP. I'm not opposed to throwing Compher on his right side, which may accomplish a bit of both, but I see no reason to move Nieto off a wing where he really thrived and developed great chemistry.

The only thing with Compher is that someone like Calvert or Wilson has a much stronger physical game, which really made that line effective and which we lost in Comeau. I've mentioned before that I thought Wilson did fine on that right side and if he's looking better than last year that's just a bonus. However, I'd like to see him on a line with Jost/Kerfoot to start, and have Calvert slot into that right side. I'm pretty sure it's what he was brought in for.

I couldn't disagree more. I can't count the number of time last season that Soderberg's line got the puck into the opposition zone, Soderberg made a good offensive play, then Comeau missed the shot or otherwise caused the play to die. If he had someone with more offensive skill then his line could be both secondary scoring AND shutdown. He and Neito have shown that they can get the puck into the offensive zone - give them someone with some finish and passing ability and let them score while they'll keeping the other team's top line hemmed into their own zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kovalenko's father played in the NHL, so I'm not all that worried. If he's good enough to be a NHLer I think he'll find his way over here.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The fact that he was actually here in North America for the draft speaks volumes to his NHL interests IMO. Most Russian kids dont even come over for the draft unless they're projected to go highly.

Pretty sure I saw a quote just after the draft about how his ultimate goal is and always would be to make the NHL some day and to play in the best world in the league(Although this quote might have also been from Shvy after we signed hi). I dont think we'll have any difficulty getting him over here if he's worth bringing over. And so far with the start he's had in the KHL it's certainly a good start on that path.

I don't know, about waiting for Kovalenko for 3 years, is it such a bad thing? I mean, what would both fans and Avs management benefit if he would cross the pond earlier? At this point I can think only about negative stuff in that case.

Agreed completely. I dont see any reason to be bringing him over in the next 3 years. Let him stay in the KHL and continue improving his game on a team that seems really open and willing to let young players grow and develop in the league. He's in a good spot right now and off to a good start.

Unless he absolutely blows up in year two or something like that and looks like a future Panarin or future Kucherov or something in which case yeah it'd be nice to get him over quickly and help with the cup chase. Otherwise we can afford to be quite patient with him.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
How can you not love big Z!

The only people I can see hating Big Z are guys who really hated the O'Reilly trade and can't accept the fact that we got good players in the deal. Such guys would of course also hate Compher, A.J. Greer, Cameron Morrison, and Denis Smirnov of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad