Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not surprised with Heiskanen, he was better than Makar in his draft year and has been better since, and will almost certainly be the better player in the NHL.

I was hoping for Heiskanen at the draft, but it's too early to be saying which one will be the better player in the NHL. Heiskanen could end up a smart, solid two way D with low offense in the mold of what Vlassic was most of his career, and Makar could end up a highly productive offensive defenseman with decent defense in the mold of someone like Kris Letang. Both very good defenseman, that play different roles.

Who's better I think will end up being determined by how productive both players are at the NHL level. I didn't necessarily share the same concern as Hepple, but he questioned how productive Heiskanen might be in the NHL.

Pipeline needs some LHD.

FWIW, Makar has said that even though he's comfortable on the right, he actually prefers playing on the left side if given the choice.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If both Heiskanen and Makar reach their ceiling, who would you rather have on the Avs roster?
Makar, which may surprise some people. He always had the higher ceiling, I just had doubts he would reach it.

I'm still not sure he will be better than Heiskanen, but I do feel good that he was the best pick at 4 that year.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dunno, I think Heiskanen might fit our roster better. If both guys reach the upside they have they're both #1D's in the league. Heiskanen coming with that added size and real strong two-way play is a better fit for us IMO over Makar.

I really liked Heiskanen in his draft year. Not to say I'm upset by any means to have gotten Makar, I think he can be a game changer from the back end as well. But with us already having Barrie, and now having Girard as well, I just feel Heiskanen would fit the make up of our team a touch better.

The question is whether both guys can reach full potential. If Heiskanen hits his upside I see a lot of Pietrangelo to his game. Real strong on both ends of the ice, capable of running a PP effectively(But not elite at it), makes his partner play better, and taking on the toughest assignments every single night. For Makar I think the Keith comparisons are pretty accurate, but I think he has a long way to go to actually reach that level of defensive play. Keith was never a major hitter and wasn't the biggest defender either. But he was so smart defensively with his stickwork and positioning off the rush that he became so effective by using those tools instead. I think Makar has the ability to be that good one day but it's going to take a lot of work and patience. Him going back to college for another year to work on those little nuances of the game will hopefully payoff a tonne in the long run.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So what are we predicting in terms of our Russian prospects?

- Danila Zhuravlyov, D: Played 11 games in the VHL last year, so we'll probably see him cycle through the leagues this year with the VHL and MHL - perhaps more games in the VHL. Can't really see him get a game in the KHL as a defenceman and play 3 minutes a game, especially on a team as deep as AK Bars are.

- Nikolai Kovalenko, RW: Played 2 games in the KHL last year and already has one under his belt this year. We'll probably see him play a lot more in the KHL and cycle between it and the MHL. Recently signed a three-year extension with Lokomotiv so we won't see him until 22 years old the soonest.

- Shamil Shmakov, G: Last year he only played in the MHL having a .932 SV% in 51 games. Not sure he needs more seasoning considering how dominant he and his team are. I would really like to see him in the VHL, but I think he plays entirely in the MHL again.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Makar, which may surprise some people. He always had the higher ceiling, I just had doubts he would reach it.

I'm still not sure he will be better than Heiskanen, but I do feel good that he was the best pick at 4 that year.

I think there are a couple of forwards that could end up being markedly better than Makar that went after him in the draft

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe it means Timmins starts off in the AHL because they don't want to push him too much in his recovery. I always prefer when guys starts in the minors. Let him go the Rantanen route.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sasha Chemlevski has a chance to end up the best player from the 2017 draft! We are one season out from the draft... the worry or thought shouldn't be whether X player can be the best player in the draft, it should be how close can X player come to their ceiling? How can their development be solidified and helped? Don't worry about Makar vs Heiskanen... worry about Makar.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he was sidelined because of a high ankle sprain and not because of post-concussion symptoms it's fantastic news.

Reactions: klozge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad