Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I also thought it would be fun to do depth charts for each position, so here we go, bonus charts!

CENTER
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
Shane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)4
Vladislav Kamenev2014 #42 (TR)6
Igor Shvyrev2017 #1257
JC Beaudin2015 #7115
Josh DickinsonUndrafted21
Brandon Saigeon2018 #14022
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RIGHT WING
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
Martin Kaut2018 #162
Nikolai Kovalenko2018 #17113
Nick Henry2017 #9416
Logan O'ConnorUndraftedHM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LEFT WING
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
AJ Greer2015 #398
Ty LewisUndrafted9
Tyler Weiss2018 #10910
Sampo Ranta2018 #7811
Cam Morrison2016 #4014
Denis Smirnov2017 #15619
Travis Barron2016 #19120
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RIGHT DEFENSE
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
Cale Makar2017 #41
Conor Timmins2017 #323
Nicolas Meloche2015 #405
Nathan Clurman2016 #161HM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LEFT DEFENSE
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
Danila Zhuravlyov2018 #15617
Nick Leivermann2017 #18718
Sergei Boikov2015 #16123
Josh Anderson2016 #7124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GOALIE
PlayerDraft2018 Rank
Justus Annunen2018 #6412
Adam Werner2016 #13125
Spencer Martin2013 #63HM
Shamil Shmakov2018 #202HM
Petr Kvaca2017 #114HM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Food for thought, it really puts into contrast just how low we are in certain positions (and stacked in others).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hopefully we get something good out of Kaut, Kamenev and Bowers because our F prospects aren't great, to say the least.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hopefully we get something good out of Kaut, Kamenev and Bowers because our F prospects aren't great, to say the least.

They're not as strong as our Defense, but to say they're bad is underselling them by quite a bit.

Kaut and Bowers are both former 1st round picks with legit Top 6 forward upside, Bowers also had a really good Draft + 1 season and has definitely improved his stock since being drafted. Kamenev is another forward with legit Top 6 upside, although this year is definitely a make or break season with him IMO.

There's a lot of teams in the league that dont have the kind of forward upside that we have in our Top few guys. They maybe aren't blue chip or elite prospects but they are very good.

And we have some real solid depth at forward as well, with a lot of guys who have decent upside and chances to hit the NHL. Between Ranta, Kovalenko, Shvyryov, Greer, Lewis, Morrison, Henry, Beaudin, etc. we really should find a couple of decent NHLers in that group, and with a few real boom/bust prospects if we can hit on either of them we'll get some fantastic value from those picks.

Our Defense is no doubt the strongest part of our pool. Having Makar, and Timmins, and Meloche is pretty ridiculous and kind speaks to the efforts our scouting staff and management have taken to improve what was our biggest weakness for a very long time(Defense).

But in terms of depth we have more of that from our forwards then we do Defense. Our Defense drops off quite a bit after those first 3 while our Forwards have a lot more depth and more irons in the fire so to speak.

The thing you especially have to look at is not just the prospects we have, but the NHL talent we have that's still U23. And when you realize that Mackinnon, Rantanen, Jost, and Compher are all still under 23 years old as well, that's the thing that really matters for our forward right now.

Oh, and having a potential Top 5 and very likely Top 10 pick in a draft that should be very strong and deep for forwards next year as well. IMO, assuming Ottawa's pick ends up ~5th overall next year and Colorado's own pick ends up ~15th, I think we'll have ourselves a Top 5 prospect pool in the league next year, if not the very best pool. And if we completely luck out and get Hughes there's no doubt we'll have the best pool. Nobody graduates this year(Unless Timmins just goes on a rampage at training camp) and we'll be adding two high end prospects at the draft next summer to add to what is already IMO a ~Top 10 pool.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yup, I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about the future, ever. I didn't start really follow the NHL until after the 05 lockout so it's been a frustrating, tease filled journey as an Avs fan. Looks like we might finally have something fruitful going on here.

Reactions: klozge

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs tend to graduate forwards very quickly... they will never build up a big pool of forward prospects. If they can play in an impact role, they will push them to the NHL very early. No forward of that caliber sticks in the pool for more than a season or two. It will probably change a bit with the Russian and college slant happening, but even then I can't see more than 3-4 seasons for most any impact prospect.

To illustrate this... It probably would have been best for Jost to spend another year at North Dakota from a physical and mental standpoint. Another year there and he would have been in the pool for 3 seasons and ranked here. Instead, the Avs went by their philosophy and pushed him to the NHL ASAP. That is just how they tend to operate with the top forward prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Here's my personal top 20...

1. Cale Makar, D [Massachusetts Minutemen, NCAA]
2. Conor Timmins, D [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
3. Martin Kaut, RW [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
4. Igor Shvyrev, C [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
5. Shane Bowers, C [Boston University Terriers, NCAA]
6. Vladislav Kamenev, C [Colorado Avalanche, NHL]
7. Tyler Weiss, LW [Nebraska - Omaha Mavericks, NCAA]
8. Nicolas Meloche, D [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
9. JC Beaudin, C [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
10. Nikolai Kovalenko, RW [Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, MHL]
11. AJ Greer, LW [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
12. Justus Annunen, G [Hermes, Mestis]
13. Sampo Ranta, LW [Minnesota Golden Gophers, NCAA]
14. Ty Lewis, LW [Colorado Eagles, AHL]
15. Nick Leivermann, D [Notre Dame Fighting Irish, NCAA]
16. Danila Zhuravlyov, D [Irbis Kazan, MHL]
17. Denis Smirnov, LW [Penn State Nitty Lions, NCAA]
18. Nick Henry, RW [Regina Pats, WHL]
19. Petr Kvaca, G [HC Ceske Budejovice, Czech2]
20. Adam Werner, G [Farjestad BK, SHL]/Cam Morrison, LW [Notre Dame Fighting Irish, NCAA]

Based upon my list, we're going to have a really fun team in the AHL this year. Maybe they're not going to an playoff club, but so much to look forward to in terms of potential NHLers. Awesome positional list McMetal, it shows that we definitely need to use one of our picks on Broberg in the upcoming draft. :sarcasm::nod:

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have Timmins at 4 right now behind Bowers and Kaut, but pretty much all he has to do for me to have him back at #2 is come into training camp with no lingering effects from that concussion. And by that I mean playing the game the same way he did before and not playing timid or shy because of it.

If he does that he'll be back to #2 for me definitely. But right now I'm still nervous about the effects of that concussion on his game and willingness to keep driving the play with the puck.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Awesome positional list McMetal, it shows that we definitely need to use one of our picks on Broberg in the upcoming draft. :sarcasm::nod:
Agreed, either that or spend a later pick on somebody like Marshall Warren, Alex Vlasic, or Tobias Bjornfot just to get a bit of prospect depth on LD since our NHL team actually looks OK for the next few years thanks to Cole. But when you look at the LD pool like that it's pretty shocking how poor the pool is, especially compared to three of our top five prospects all being right defenders.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just for more fun with overanalysis (and because I am bored waiting for the plumber to get here): Biggest risers and fallers in the ranks (only counting the top 25):

Biggest Risers:
  1. Nick Leivermann: +7
  2. Conor Timmins/Travis Barron: +4
  3. Igor Shvyrev: +3
Biggest Fallers:
  1. JC Beaudin: -6
  2. Sergei Boikov: -4
  3. Cam Morrison: -3

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just for more fun with overanalysis (and because I am bored waiting for the plumber to get here): Biggest risers and fallers in the ranks (only counting the top 25):

Biggest Risers:
  1. Nick Leivermann: +7
  2. Conor Timmins/Travis Barron: +4
  3. Igor Shvyrev: +3
Biggest Fallers:
  1. JC Beaudin: -6
  2. Sergei Boikov: -4
  3. Cam Morrison: -3
Out of curiosity, why the rise with Shvyrev. His production went down (slightly) in a junior league despite being a full year older.

I’m assuming his 1 point in 32 KHL games isn’t the reason.

Has he taken strides in other parts of his game? I know he’s pumped around here a lot by people and I continuously ask questions but it’s because all I see is stats. Based on those stats he hadn’t improved offensively last year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How the 2018 Draft Class fared in the rankings:

PositionPlayerDraft2018 Rank
RWMartin Kaut2018 #162
LWTyler Weiss2018 #10910
LWSampo Ranta2018 #7811
GJustus Annunen2018 #6412
RWNikolai Kovalenko2018 #17113
LDDanila Zhuravlyov2018 #14617
CBrandon Saigeon2018 #14022
GShamil Shmakov2018 #202HM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Out of curiosity, why the rise with Shvyrev. His production went down (slightly) in a junior league despite being a full year older.

Has he taken strides in other parts of his game? I know he’s pumped around here a lot by people and I continuously ask questions but it’s because all I see is stats. Based on those stats he hadn’t improved offensively last year.
He signed his pro contract in North America is what happened. His minutes per game in the KHL were in the 3 per game area, so he came over to the Eagles to get playing time and develop his game. The biggest question mark about him was his willingness to play here at all, much less in the AHL, so that question being answered is what boosted his stock more than progression in his game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Biggest overall faller was Martin. #12 to not even an HM. Unless that is what you meant by only counting the top 25. :)
Yeah, that was specifically what I meant. I thought about how to rank the HMs, but since they're in no order I couldn't quantify how far he fell exactly, so I cut it off at 25. He fell off the board is how far he fell.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He signed his pro contract in North America is what happened. His minutes per game in the KHL were in the 3 per game area, so he came over to the Eagles to get playing time and develop his game. The biggest question mark about him was his willingness to play here at all, much less in the AHL, so that question being answered is what boosted his stock more than progression in his game.

Yup. He would have been A) Ranked significantly higher last year and B) Went way higher in the actual draft in 2017 if teams had known he was willing to not only play in North America but actually spend time in the AHL as well.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

The better question is why the rise with Barron... yeesh...

Shvy still dominated the MHL when he played there to the same extent as he did before. He just didn't get KHL time and that is probably a blessing in disguise at this point since he is over in the AHL. All that said though... Jost, Compher, and Bigras all being gone accounts for the whole gain really.

Edit: Looking at last year's results... Bigras, Jost, Compher, Mironov, Greer, and Beaudin were all head of Shvy... You could probably make the argument Shvy should have made more of a leap.

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The Avs tend to graduate forwards very quickly... they will never build up a big pool of forward prospects. If they can play in an impact role, they will push them to the NHL very early. No forward of that caliber sticks in the pool for more than a season or two. It will probably change a bit with the Russian and college slant happening, but even then I can't see more than 3-4 seasons for most any impact prospect.

To illustrate this... It probably would have been best for Jost to spend another year at North Dakota from a physical and mental standpoint. Another year there and he would have been in the pool for 3 seasons and ranked here. Instead, the Avs went by their philosophy and pushed him to the NHL ASAP. That is just how they tend to operate with the top forward prospects.
I'm not sure if i can agree with that because Miko spending almost a full year in the AHL proves that rushing our top guys is not always the case - at least not any more. Jost on the other hand is a tricky one because it's hard to say if one more junior year would have done him any good because he was pretty much in and out of the lineup all the time in the first half of the season due to injuries. Hopefully this season he stays healthy.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure if i can agree with that because Miko spending almost a full year in the AHL proves that rushing our top guys is not always the case - at least not any more. Jost on the other hand is a tricky one because it's hard to say if one more junior year would have done him any good because he was pretty much in and out of the lineup all the time in the first half of the season due to injuries. Hopefully this season he stays healthy.

No doubt Roy started instilling the philosophy of more patience (relative term), but even Rants was a +1 and done. The last Avs forward to spend 2 or more years post draft in lower leagues and then establish with the Avs was Galiardi (07 draftee) who spent 2 years post draft. For 3+ years... Brandon Yip (04 draftee) was the last. Avs are very much a sink or swim organization with their forwards. For better or worse. They even tried it with Greer last year, but he just wasn't up to the task. I do think it will start to trend more towards 2 and 3 seasons post draft since the Avs are selecting more Russians and college kids. I think that is a good trend to start since I think 2 is hitting a sweet spot for most players and 3 is certainly necessary for a lot.

FTR I'm not saying Rants shouldn't have played in the NHL in his +2 season, he was obviously ready. If a player is ready prior, teams should take advantage of it. Just that the Avs have not been a team to put much effort into keeping forwards marinating. They will put them in the NHL as quickly as they can in most cases. Sometimes that is good (MacK, ROR, Duchene, Rants)... sometimes that leads to struggles or the team losing patience.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No doubt Roy started instilling the philosophy of more patience (relative term), but even Rants was a +1 and done. The last Avs forward to spend 2 or more years post draft in lower leagues and then establish with the Avs was Galiardi (07 draftee) who spent 2 years post draft. For 3+ years... Brandon Yip (04 draftee) was the last. Avs are very much a sink or swim organization with their forwards. For better or worse. They even tried it with Greer last year, but he just wasn't up to the task. I do think it will start to trend more towards 2 and 3 seasons post draft since the Avs are selecting more Russians and college kids. I think that is a good trend to start since I think 2 is hitting a sweet spot for most players and 3 is certainly necessary for a lot.

FTR I'm not saying Rants shouldn't have played in the NHL in his +2 season, he was obviously ready. If a player is ready prior, teams should take advantage of it. Just that the Avs have not been a team to put much effort into keeping forwards marinating. They will put them in the NHL as quickly as they can in most cases. Sometimes that is good (MacK, ROR, Duchene, Rants)... sometimes that leads to struggles or the team losing patience.

This is a very misleading narrative that you keep promoting. It's also very misleading to phrase it as, "the last Avs forward to spend 2 or more years post draft..." This is the case because their drafting has been so poor, and none of their prospects have become "Avs forwards."

The only Avalanche draft picks to play the season after being drafted are Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, and MacKinnon. Three of which were top three draft picks and all of them were clearly NHL ready.

The only +1 and done prospects were Rantanen, Girard, and Jost. Of which only Jost might not have been ready, and even that is debatable given how much his season and training camp were derailed right off the bat to injuries.

Other than that they've kept all their best prospects for 2+ seasons outside of the NHL. Plenty of which they could have rushed like Zadorov, Bleackley, Bigras, Shattenkirk, and Barrie.

Zadorov
Bowers
Meloche
Greer
Nantel
Bleackley
Wood
Geertsen
Bigras
Heard
Siemens
Pickard
Hishon
Cohen
Elliott
Barrie
Shattenkirk
Stewart

Out of Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Girard, and Jost, every team in the league would have "rushed" them except for perhaps ROR and Jost.

Two players, one of which was clearly NHL ready, is not enough to suggest the Avalanche rush their players.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You guys get me excited about Shyv but I still keep my guard up big time since I’m adimuttedly a straight up stat watcher of hockey overseas.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You guys get me excited about Shyv but I still keep my guard up big time since I’m adimuttedly a straight up stat watcher of hockey overseas.
Caution is warranted. There aren't any guarantees that he'll light it up, especially not in his first few months. The skill is there though, and my money's on him being an impact player after a while in the minors.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

8. Cale Makar, D, COL

How acquired:
Selected with No. 4 pick in 2017 NHL Draft

Last season: University of Massachusetts Amherst (NCAA): 34 GP, 5-16-21

Makar, 19, is returning to UMass for his sophomore year after being named to the Hockey East all-rookie and third all-star teams as a freshman.

Makar (5-11, 187), a smooth skater with plenty of offensive upside, had 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in his final 22 games at UMass last season after helping Canada win the gold medal at the 2018 WJC with eight points (three goals, five assists) in seven games.

Projected NHL arrival: Next season

43. Conor Timmins, D, COL

How acquired:
Selected with No. 32 pick in 2017 NHL Draft

Last season: Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): 36 GP, 8-33-41

Timmins, 19, signed a three-year, entry-level contract in March and could push for a spot on a crowded defense but probably will begin this season with Colorado of the AHL. He is expected to be ready for training camp after being held out of on-ice drills at development camp in June, when he was recovering from an ankle injury and concussion he sustained during the OHL season.

Timmins (6-2, 184) had five points (one goal, four assists) in seven games for Canada at the 2018 WJC.

Projected NHL arrival: Next season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I'm surprised to see Svechnikov ahead of Pettersson TBH. Quite a gap between Heiskanen and Makar here (although Heiskanen did have a more impressive +1 season).

I also disagree with Zadina being 2 spots ahead of Makar and I'm not saying that because I'm a homer.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Carolina hadn't drafted a Russian player since 2001 until they drafted Svechnikov. Guess they felt they had no other choice.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm surprised to see Svechnikov ahead of Pettersson TBH. Quite a gap between Heiskanen and Makar here (although Heiskanen did have a more impressive +1 season).

I also disagree with Zadina being 2 spots ahead of Makar and I'm not saying that because I'm a homer.

Not surprised with Heiskanen, he was better than Makar in his draft year and has been better since, and will almost certainly be the better player in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad