Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospect Development Tracker - The Heirs to Polak's Throne

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
A bit suprised by Damianis jump in production. Guess he was burried somewhere down the lineup for most of last season in Kitchener.

Or maybe when his dad missed out on seeing him getting drafted it made him extra motivated .

Also isn't it wierd thats it's allways fifth rounders ?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
A bit suprised by Damianis jump in production. Guess he was burried somewhere down the lineup for most of last season in Kitchener.

Or maybe when his dad missed out on seeing him getting drafted it made him extra motivated .

It's honestly so unusual. (The 5th round thing)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

It’s funny to because when we drafted him I was pretty unimpressed by his stats and scouting report. First thing I thought was the 5th round luck had finally dried up.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Rangers were a pretty deep team last season, so Damiani was mostly deployed as a 3rd line checking forward.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I watched Kitchener play the soo the other day and Damiani looked Good . Not super skilled or anything but has good hockey sense . Small though . Hopefully he’s the next Marty St.louis .

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
L'Esperance leads the AHL in goals now

Very intrigued to see if he will amount to anything in the NHL. Like some of us said, this season was very unexpected from a guy who didn’t seem to excel much in the NCAA as his AHL numbers suggest.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Jermaine Loewen looks like the biggest waste of a pick ever.

Did they draft him specifically for the National media and feed good story?

Clearly he wasn't drafted for ability as a hockey player.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Jermaine Loewen looks like the biggest waste of a pick ever.

Did they draft him specifically for the National media and feed good story?

Clearly he wasn't drafted for ability as a hockey player.

Most 7th round picks look like complete wastes of picks. I'm never going to complain.

With his work ethic, they probably were thinking maybe they could snag a decent 4th line high-energy forward at best.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Most 7th round picks look like complete wastes of picks. I'm never going to complain.

With his work ethic, they probably were thinking maybe they could snag a decent 4th line high-energy forward at best.

So why not take the chance on a 17 year old who still has development time?

Now we are stuck with an overage WHL player who can't go back to juniors next year but can't produce any offense this year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gaglardi owns the Blazers he probably had some input into that and managment obliged . Probably didn't have anyone decent anymore in sight anyway.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Pretty much everyone in the Stars organization invests in the Blazers. Not surprised they would toss away a pick.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Loewen was a very interesting pick at the time. He exploded for 36 goals his draft year after only having 6 the year before.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Loewen was a very interesting pick at the time. He exploded for 36 goals his draft year after only having 6 the year before.
He's been eligible for the draft since 2016. So he technically had 15 points in his draft year.

36 goals for a 20 year old in the WHL is not impressive.

Reactions: MBTendy

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He's been eligible for the draft since 2016. So he technically had 15 points in his draft year.

36 goals for a 20 year old in the WHL is not impressive.

More impressive than 26 points in 39 games as a 21 year old!

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The drafting just doesn't make sense.. like Rhett Gardner.. another overage NCAA garbage player taken in the 4th.

I want to know who is making the calls on these picks and players, because whoever it is is not very bright.

I know every pick isn't going to be a hit.. but drafting players like Rhett Gardner and Jermaine Loewen is straight up throwing the pick in the trash.

Lucky for us, it appears the staff has moved on from 2014 level of cringe where they decided to throw 5 picks straight in the trash down to about one on average per draft.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean with most late round picks you're kind of betting someone develops that is a longshot . Cecconi is another one of those picks not exactly impressive in his draft year but developed nicely. Now if he signs with Dallas is another questionmark but he is looking pretty good.

Loewen was clearly picked for the news story.

By the way outside of Loewen i actually really like the 2018 draft Dallas had.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Joe McDonnell makes the picks. Nill, as most GM's, doesn't scout that much since they're running the team. When you hear a GM is scouting a prospect, it's either at a big tournament that the rest of the hockey world is at or it's a team with a high pick and the GM is scouting to take someone Top 5.

Nill's probably not seen a guy play before he's drafted since his Detroit days with the exception of high picks or guys in international tournaments. His fault lies in not making changes with the scouting staff or philosophy ... which is a major fault potentially. As far as individual players though, with the exception of Kamloops players, that's on individual scouts and McDonnell. It's dumb but it's also common for an NHL owner who has a CHL team to have guys taken from that team. It's nepotism. Carolina did it with the last owner.

When you hear Nill's been scouting someone, it's typically an undrafted free agent they're trying to entice ... like he did with Bayreuther. That's less about Nill's talent evaluation and more about proving to the kid how serious the team is in adding him. You often hear that the team GM was a big part of the scouting effort of undrafted free agents.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
We should have taken Nathan Dunkley or Billy Moskal instead of Loewen, in my opinion.

The Stars really can't afford to throw away picks for news stories with how poor the drafting has been.

Reactions: Morry83 and Satan

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Speaking of nepotism .... haha .... I haven't looked at the Dallas scout roster in a year or so. The newest member of the the team is 29 year old Sam Lites. He's listed as Hockey Analytics Coordinator and an Amateur Scout. Seems like LePore also holds the title of Hockey Analytics Coordinator. LePore is the Northeast pro scout. IIRC, he's in the tri-state area so you often see him at NJ/NY games, and he's the guy that is typically at OTT/MON as well. He still travels outside of that area, but he heavily scouts the NHL and AHL teams in the Northeast. I think he's with Dallas for a while.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Speaking of nepotism .... haha .... I haven't looked at the Dallas scout roster in a year or so. The newest member of the the team is 29 year old Sam Lites. He's listed as Hockey Analytics Coordinator and an Amateur Scout. Seems like LePore also holds the title of Hockey Analytics Coordinator. LePore is the Northeast pro scout. IIRC, he's in the tri-state area so you often see him at NJ/NY games, and he's the guy that is typically at OTT/MON as well. He still travels outside of that area, but he heavily scouts the NHL and AHL teams in the Northeast. I think he's with Dallas for a while.

Yea, Daddy got him a job at the start of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad