Feb 8, 2008
think-positive_c_7247002.jpg
Draitsatl has nice hair.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly stunned at Eberle this year. I thought he could carry over his spite motivation from last year and combine it with contract year motivation this season. Maybe he gets it together over time, but not what I expected so far for his contract year. The spite was obviously very strong with him last year, like all those Vegas players.

Pretty similar to the Gagner story. Its harder for smaller players in the NHL and the punishment absorbed, for most, starts to add up. Meaning that Eberle is 28 but has had everything. concussions, being totalled with hits.
I think the hardest hit for both is being traded. Both seemed like the type of players that wanted to be in one place. You kind of lose identity going to different teams. More the case with Gagner. Eberle has had these bad moments before but its harder at present age to turn around much. He's not young anymore. How quickly NHL careers fly by.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We have a positivity thread. We have several fire this guy, trade that guy threads. We could use a reality thread for some balance.

Thats true but the reality is pretty negative LOL. This thread is like the Liberal financial plan for Canada. Sunshine, rainbows, lollipops, add in legalized weed and park the car! :laugh:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Honestly stunned at Eberle this year. I thought he could carry over his spite motivation from last year and combine it with contract year motivation this season. Maybe he gets it together over time, but not what I expected so far for his contract year. The spite was obviously very strong with him last year, like all those Vegas players.
I don't know how anyone could be stunned by this development. It's the classic Eberle disappearing act. His splits here with playoffs teams vs non-playoff teams were a real thing, and it's telling.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
On TSN Sportscrntre, they showed a graphic comparing Mclellan and Hitchcock. The goals against has gone from 3.3 to 2.1, the powerplay went from 20% to 26 or 28% & PK has gone from low-70s in percentage to a hair over 80%.

There's more than just Hitchcock to give credit to and it's been 5 games but Hitchcock is putting his stamp on the team quickly.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
On TSN Sportscrntre, they showed a graphic comparing Mclellan and Hitchcock. The goals against has gone from 3.3 to 2.1, the powerplay went from 20% to 26 or 28% & PK has gone from low-70s in percentage to a hair over 80%.

There's more than just Hitchcock to give credit to and it's been 5 games but Hitchcock is putting his stamp on the team quickly.

I'm for anything that improves the team. Not 100% sold on Hitch yet mainly because the newer nhl is moving away from his style of team. But so far so good.

I truly think almost any coach at this point would have been better than McLellan. I've personally never noticed so many things that could be laid at the feet of an obviously overly stubborn and stupid coach. I feel he wanted to be fired with just how ridiculous he stuck to his guns on stuff that clearly obviously not working.

I know he was a huge part of the Oilers success in 2016 2017. I know he took a team with no structure and did a great job. I also am very certain he was a big problem last year and this. He needed to go badly. Glad he is gone and I'm curious if he will get another nhl gig. People doing thier research have to see what he did these last 2 years and might avoid him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Playing Koskinen has been the biggest change to their improved fortunes, imo.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm for anything that improves the team. Not 100% sold on Hitch yet mainly because the newer nhl is moving away from his style of team. But so far so good.

I truly think almost any coach at this point would have been better than McLellan. I've personally never noticed so many things that could be laid at the feet of an obviously overly stubborn and stupid coach. I feel he wanted to be fired with just how ridiculous he stuck to his guns on stuff that clearly obviously not working.

I know he was a huge part of the Oilers success in 2016 2017. I know he took a team with no structure and did a great job. I also am very certain he was a big problem last year and this. He needed to go badly. Glad he is gone and I'm curious if he will get another nhl gig. People doing thier research have to see what he did these last 2 years and might avoid him.
If Chiarelli can get a job after this I have no doubt McLeelan will not have much difficulty finding employment either. I just think that the way this team was eventually constructed was not the type of team for him. The wrong fit.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Chiarelli can get a job after this I have no doubt McLeelan will not have much difficulty finding employment either. I just think that the way this team was eventually constructed was not the type of team for him. The wrong fit.

I understand this is the Internet and it's just how it works but...

Can you elaborate a little bit?

Besides obviously not having a offensive minded Norris level defender Im not sure I see a "large" difference in how SJS was built or ran by McLellan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad