Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

If any of Lindgren, Hollowell, and Duszak have good seasons, your looking at them as NHL options along with Lilly and Sandin.

Reactions: Anthrax442

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Rasanen buggered his own development with that move to the KHL, kid should have stuck it out in the OHL for another year imo

My dark horse is Kivihalme, I watched some video of him and I liked what I saw, the kids a one man breakout

I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks camp with the team on the bottom pair LD slot

I wonder why Rasanen didn't go liiga instead? That may have been the real error, thinking he was ready to step into one of the top teams in the second best league in the world. At least a weaker KHL team could have given him more minutes, but if he has to go to the one Finnish club he has to accept their depth chart. . 22 pro games may not have been much of a building block for next season but maybe he has a bit more physical development and can use his size better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Mark Rakham just started doing a podcast. For anyone who isn't familiar with him, he covers the Marlies and watches almost every game. He is a great follow on twitter if you want updates in game, and just stuff in general about the Marlies or other things. I encourage you guys to follow him. He talked about what the Marlies lineup could look like in this one, and the AHL in particular. If you don't want to listen, I can paraphrase what he said.

Kaskisou is the clear cut #1. Kask struggled in the 1st half, but was much better the rest of the way. He stole the Rochester series. One of Woll/Scott is the backup. He isn't sure who will get it, but thinks it might be Scott because Keefe is familiar with it.
With the Growlers, it might be interesting if they run 2 young goalies in Zhukov, and one of Woll/Scott. Gartieg had a tremendous season with the Growlers so we'll see what happens.

Defence is pretty much set. Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Lindgren, Duszak, and Borgman. He was really impressed with Hollowell. The thing that stood out was his confidence. He wasn't phased with it being his 1st glimpse of pro hockey.

On the forwards, he has the top 6 as Marchment-Brooks-Bracco, and Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov. He feels it's a big year for Timashov. He is a frustrating player. He took a lot of penalties at the start of the season, and was a healthy scratch. Timashov is either noticable and puts up points, or he is non existent. Engvall also needs a good year. He could challange for a 4th line C job with the leafs if he does well this season. He isn't sure what to make of Korshkov. For a strong kid, he doesn't engage physically.
Colt Conrad impressed him in the games he played.

Sheldon Keefe is a heck of a coach, and has been a huge factor in the development of the young players. He lists Nylander as one of the examples. Nylander at times had his struggles in the AHL, and wasn't always dominant. In the Hershey series, be really struggled and Keefe patted him on the back, and he got going again.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Mark Rakham just started doing a podcast. For anyone who isn't familiar with him, he covers the Marlies and watches almost every game. He is a great follow on twitter if you want updates in game, and just stuff in general about the Marlies or other things. I encourage you guys to follow him. He talked about what the Marlies lineup could look like in this one, and the AHL in particular. If you don't want to listen, I can paraphrase what he said.

Kaskisou is the clear cut #1. Kask struggled in the 1st half, but was much better the rest of the way. He stole the Rochester series. One of Woll/Scott is the backup. He isn't sure who will get it, but thinks it might be Scott because Keefe is familiar with it.
With the Growlers, it might be interesting if they run 2 young goalies in Zhukov, and one of Woll/Scott. Gartieg had a tremendous season with the Growlers so we'll see what happens.

Defence is pretty much set. Lilly, Sandin, Hollowell, Lindgren, Duszak, and Borgman. He was really impressed with Hollowell. The thing that stood out was his confidence. He wasn't phased with it being his 1st glimpse of pro hockey.

On the forwards, he has the top 6 as Marchment-Brooks-Bracco, and Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov. He feels it's a big year for Timashov. He is a frustrating player. He took a lot of penalties at the start of the season, and was a healthy scratch. Timashov is either noticable and puts up points, or he is non existent. Engvall also needs a good year. He could challange for a 4th line C job with the leafs if he does well this season. He isn't sure what to make of Korshkov. For a strong kid, he doesn't engage physically.
Colt Conrad impressed him in the games he played.

Sheldon Keefe is a heck of a coach, and has been a huge factor in the development of the young players. He lists Nylander as one of the examples. Nylander at times had his struggles in the AHL, and wasn't always dominant. In the Hershey series, be really struggled and Keefe patted him on the back, and he got going again.

I personally don't agree with some of those things.

Kaskisuo is only the clear cut #1 if he sticks around. I'm not sure he does, given they re-signed Hutch... And his only purpose on any kind of championship team should being a #3/#4 on a depth chart.

Garteig went to Tappara in Liiga, so he doesn't figure in. The Growlers will be Scott/Woll + Zhukov next year.

I wouldn't have Duszak in the full time lineup. He'll rotate in a lot regardless, but he's the 8th best defenseman on the roster overall, 4th on the RD chart. He'll be rotating in when Liljegren, Hollowell or Lindgren need a break or get hurt/called up. Borgman should be in the NHL next year over Marincin and Gravel, especially if they decide to make the Harpur #6/bottom pairing LD spot a competition throughout the year until someone steps up. Marincin, Kivihalme and Gravel all will get a ton of ice time.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I personally don't agree with some of those things.

Kaskisuo is only the clear cut #1 if he sticks around. I'm not sure he does, given they re-signed Hutch... And his only purpose on any kind of championship team should being a #3/#4 on a depth chart.

Garteig went to Tappara in Liiga, so he doesn't figure in. The Growlers will be Scott/Woll + Zhukov next year.

I wouldn't have Duszak in the full time lineup. He'll rotate in a lot regardless, but he's the 8th best defenseman on the roster overall, 4th on the RD chart. He'll be rotating in when Liljegren, Hollowell or Lindgren need a break or get hurt/called up. Borgman should be in the NHL next year over Marincin and Gravel, especially if they decide to make the Harpur #6/bottom pairing LD spot a competition throughout the year until someone steps up. Marincin, Kivihalme and Gravel all will get a ton of ice time.
Your probably right. I also have Hollowell and Lindgren ahead of Duszak. The defence might be set in stone, or depending on who gets sent down, there might be competition for 2 spots.

Thanks for the information on Gartieg. Mark did mention if Hutchinson and Sparks are with the Marlies, then it may change things. I still think one of them gets traded before the season though.

Aside from Sapego, any younger defenceman or forwards we should keep an eye out with the Growlers? I will be keeping track of the Growlers more this season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Your probably right. I also have Hollowell and Lindgren ahead of Duszak. The defence might be set in stone, or depending on who gets sent down, there might be competition for 2 spots.

Thanks for the information on Gartieg. Mark did mention if Hutchinson and Sparks are with the Marlies, then it may change things. I still think one of them gets traded before the season though.

Aside from Sapego, any younger defenceman or forwards we should keep an eye out with the Growlers? I will be keeping track of the Growlers more this season.

A bunch. Defense is mostly just Sapego and Rubins. The rest are too old, but there's AHL talent there I guess.

Both goalies are worth looking at. Scott/Woll and Zhukov.

Riley Woods was nice in Spokane, but he's not going to be better than any of the returning prospects coming in like Conrad, Estephan, Ryan Moore, Elynuik and Matt Bradley. Trey Bradley is likely just ECHL depth. I don't expect him to amount to anything beyond an AHL/ECHL tweener.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A bunch. Defense is mostly just Sapego and Rubins. The rest are too old, but there's AHL talent there I guess.

Both goalies are worth looking at. Scott/Woll and Zhukov.

Riley Woods was nice in Spokane, but he's not going to be better than any of the returning prospects coming in like Conrad, Estephan, Ryan Moore, Elynuik and Matt Bradley. Trey Bradley is likely just ECHL depth. I don't expect him to amount to anything beyond an AHL/ECHL tweener.
Awesome, thanks.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
On the topic of Liljegren.

You really wonder how much the team tried to mold him into a certain type of player.

Almost like when you get MLB prospect pitchers. Some teams right from the hop tell the guy to consistently work on his weakest pitch.

Maybe the Leafs werent concerned about anything but shoring up his defensive game.

If he didnt provide as much offense as many had hoped, so what we're trying to build this guy into a certain player type that we feel fits our teams neeeds.

I dont really know what to make of him to be honest. I'm not his biggest fan but alot has to do with him not producing offensively as I hoped but there could be alot more to the story there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You really wonder how much the team tried to mold him into a certain type of player.

Almost like when you get MLB prospect pitchers. Some teams right from the hop tell the guy to consistently work on his weakest pitch.

Maybe the Leafs werent concerned about anything but shoring up his defensive game.

If he didnt provide as much offense as many had hoped, so what we're trying to build this guy into a certain player type that we feel fits our teams neeeds.

I dont really know what to make of him to be honest. I'm not his biggest fan but alot has to do with him not producing offensively as I hoped but there could be alot more to the story there.

They had to teach him to defend because he was baaaad, he wasn't going anywhere if he kept defending like that

People overestimated his offensive game imo, I always thought that was overstated even in his draft year

He's always been a bit of a shin killer and he had a horrible tendency of skating into the offensive zone with the puck and running himself out of options then turning over the puck over

I think he's going to end up being a good puck mover but never going to put up huge points totals, i see strong in the neutral zone moving the puck up ice and strong getting the puck out of his own zone but nothing special in the offensive zone with very little PP time, a #4 #5 type, a good bottom pair defender or can do a job with a strong partner on the 2nd pair that can be relied on to defend against middling competition

Reactions: weems

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marlies signed Michael Kapla and Ryan Johnston, anyone have any info on these guys?

Marlies Sign Ryan Johnston and Michael Kapla – Toronto Marlies

The Toronto Marlies announced today that the hockey club has signed defencemen Ryan Johnston and Michael Kapla.

Johnston, 27, appeared in 50 games with Mora IK (SHL) last season, recording 22 points (3 goals, 19 assists). The Sudbury, ON native played in 10 games with the Montreal Canadiens and collected 30 points (5 goals, 22 assists) in 87 games with their affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps, between 2015-2017. In 110 career regular-season games with Colgate University (NCAA), he registered 42 points (5 goals, 37 assists).

Kapla, 24, split the 2018-19 season between the Binghamton Devils and the Iowa Wild, recording 24 points (2 goals, 22 assists) through 66 games. The Eau Claire, WI native played 152 games with the University of Massachusetts Lowell (NCAA), registering 92 points (17 goals, 75 assists) and capturing the NCAA (Hockey East) Championship in 2017 while serving as captain.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Marlies Sign Ryan Johnston and Michael Kapla – Toronto Marlies

The Toronto Marlies announced today that the hockey club has signed defencemen Ryan Johnston and Michael Kapla.

Johnston, 27, appeared in 50 games with Mora IK (SHL) last season, recording 22 points (3 goals, 19 assists). The Sudbury, ON native played in 10 games with the Montreal Canadiens and collected 30 points (5 goals, 22 assists) in 87 games with their affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps, between 2015-2017. In 110 career regular-season games with Colgate University (NCAA), he registered 42 points (5 goals, 37 assists).

Kapla, 24, split the 2018-19 season between the Binghamton Devils and the Iowa Wild, recording 24 points (2 goals, 22 assists) through 66 games. The Eau Claire, WI native played 152 games with the University of Massachusetts Lowell (NCAA), registering 92 points (17 goals, 75 assists) and capturing the NCAA (Hockey East) Championship in 2017 while serving as captain.
Sure is a lot of D men kicking around.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Not to say things will end up the same, but there were a ton of doubters when Rielly couldnt top 30 points in a season. Forcing a player to learn a defensive game while knowing his offensive potential sometimes works out for the best.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
According to HF, we have the 12th and 13th best goalie prospects in Woll and Scott.

Hopefully one of these guys pan out to be a goalie that can push Andersen, or at least play 25-30 games a season

Reactions: TML Dynasty

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
According to HF, we have the 12th and 13th best goalie prospects in Woll and Scott.

Hopefully one of these guys pan out to be a goalie that can push Andersen, or at least play 25-30 games a season

Andersen isn't going to be a Leaf in 2 years.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how Bracco does without Mueller this year

Just fine as Bracco is essentially the Marner of the Marlies. Mueller's goals jumped from 19 to 33 with Bracco dishing perfect passes to him, Moore as well went from 12 in 68 to 23 in 46. Got to think that whoever gets to be the beneficiary of Bracco's perfect passes this year will do just as well. Might be any of Archibald, Brooks, Wilson, Engvall, Luchuck etc. who get their goal tallies boosted this year.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think that's presumptuous from today's standpoint. If Woll/Scott develop between now and then I could see us going young, but I doubt they would leave such an important position in limbo

Just a money thing. It is a fact you don't need a top 5 goalie in the league to win a Cup, just a solid one. Signing Freddie to a long term retirement deal for stupid money is just more cap misery. Let him walk and trade for a younger him. 7 x 8 for a goalie is not cap compatible business. Deals for the over 30 crowd and going to get ground down. If Andy doesn't win a Cup, he isn't coming back, and maybe not even if he does win.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just a money thing. It is a fact you don't need a top 5 goalie in the league to win a Cup, just a solid one. Signing Freddie to a long term retirement deal for stupid money is just more cap misery. Let him walk and trade for a younger him. 7 x 8 for a goalie is not cap compatible business. Deals for the over 30 crowd and going to get ground down. If Andy doesn't win a Cup, he isn't coming back, and maybe not even if he does win.
I don't think it's a given that he'll get a Price deal either, he'll be 32 at the time and the trend is that older guys are getting less term, and it will be after the new TV deal inflates the cap

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think we should offer Freddie a long term deal next summer with a NTC/NMC and then play out the final year of his current deal and trade him at the draft before the new deal kicks in (Jeff Carter situation).

Get great value for a signed Freddie and let somebody else be on the hook for the decline with age.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think that's presumptuous from today's standpoint. If Woll/Scott develop between now and then I could see us going young, but I doubt they would leave such an important position in limbo

For me the question is how do you bring either Woll or Scott into the lineup from a development standpoint if you hope that they become a starter. If one is brought in with the current Babcock system of playing the second of every back to back and little more than that it is likely going to destroy them and turn the fan base against the young goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad