Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
For me the question is how do you bring either Woll or Scott into the lineup from a development standpoint if you hope that they become a starter. If one is brought in with the current Babcock system of playing the second of every back to back and little more than that it is likely going to destroy them and turn the fan base against the young goalie.
I think that's far enough away that Woll could be ready but I agree that it seems like an optimistic timeline. I'd be trying to convince Andersen to stay on a 2-3 year deal. Goalies are usually available via trade as well, so I think we can find one if we need one, just seems like a waste if we're a year away from having a home grown guy that will be good for 10+ years

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
For me the question is how do you bring either Woll or Scott into the lineup from a development standpoint if you hope that they become a starter. If one is brought in with the current Babcock system of playing the second of every back to back and little more than that it is likely going to destroy them and turn the fan base against the young goalie.
Most young goalies have that learning curve though. Binnington, Samsanov, Demko, Muarry all had that learning curve.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think that's far enough away that Woll could be ready but I agree that it seems like an optimistic timeline. I'd be trying to convince Andersen to stay on a 2-3 year deal. Goalies are usually available via trade as well, so I think we can find one if we need one, just seems like a waste if we're a year away from having a home grown guy that will be good for 10+ years

I doubt Dubas gives Andersen anything more than 3 years.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd agree, but I also don't think it's a given that Andersen won't accept that. I also think those goalposts move based on need - if Andersen says its 5 or he goes but the AAV is reasonable, maybe that's fine because the replacement you groom for him will have a lower AAV and when that replacement takes over he'll be a cheap starter and you pair that with an expensive back up in Andersen (at 33-34 years old) for a combined cap hit that's fine to have the goalie tandem locked up

I think it's too early to know what will happen on this front but I don't think Dubas & co will underestimate the importance of good goaltending, you can win without a premier goalie but it's hard to win without solid goaltending - Edmonton, Calgary, Philly, etc

Reactions: justafan22

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm pretty sure that dubas will try unearthing some undervalued goalies before locking up bigtime cap space in a good but not great goalie like Freddy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

My guess is he gets something like 4 or 5 years @ 6.5-7 mill depending on how the cap goes up. He won't get better than that on the open market as a 31 year old who is not a Vezina-caliber goalie.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not much point in trying to predict Andersen contract right now. This spring will do a lot to determine whether or not he's somebody you can rely on in the playoffs, and that will have a dramatic effect on his next contract.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm pretty sure that dubas will try unearthing some undervalued goalies before locking up bigtime cap space in a good but not great goalie like Freddy.

This is my thought as well. Not to undervalue Freddy, but the RFAs ar really fisting the club, and with Muzzin/Barrie next season, and Rielly to resign the year after Freddie the cap challenges are just going to keep coming. A sub $5M replacement could provide some much needed relief. If they get unexpected cap growth, a more owner friendly CBA, and he doesn't want stupid money then its a different discussion but I feel better than 50-50 he will not sign another contract with the Leafs.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This is my thought as well. Not to undervalue Freddy, but the RFAs ar really fisting the club, and with Muzzin/Barrie next season, and Rielly to resign the year after Freddie the cap challenges are just going to keep coming. A sub $5M replacement could provide some much needed relief. If they get unexpected cap growth, a more owner friendly CBA, and he doesn't want stupid money then its a different discussion but I feel better than 50-50 he will not sign another contract with the Leafs.

“The better you become, the less peaceful it is, the more anxiety there is, because each decision means more and so you still have problems,” Shanahan added. “They’re just better problems. …
“As long as we are hopefully a Stanley Cup contender we will have cap issues, so Toronto should get used to that.”

Maple Leafs' Shanahan says team will have salary cap issues - Sportsnet.ca

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't see why Bracco would play another game in the AHL, he dominated last season. Mikheyev is an unknown in comparison and in most mock lineups he's jumping Bracco.

Bracco is more of an unknown for sure. KHL is the more difficult league... as of today, no question Mikheyev is better.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't see why Bracco would play another game in the AHL, he dominated last season. Mikheyev is an unknown in comparison and in most mock lineups he's jumping Bracco.

Mikheyev may be better suited to what we need though, he's a LW/RW that can PK and be a 3rd wheel on a skill line apparently rather than a PP QB playmaking RW with Nylander, Marner and Kapanen in front of him

Reactions: Boutette

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I am a huge fan Bracco, but he can still take another step in his defensive game, and i'm on of those people who feel he isn't all that bad defensively.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Engvall-Kossila-Aberg
Agostino-Shore-Korshkov
Timashov-Gaudet-Wilson
MacMaster-Luchuk-Archibald
Clune/Brazeau

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Hutchinson/Kaskisuo-Woll/Scott

Well that is definitely one deep Marlies group, but it's tough for prospects to get ice time that is for sure. I'm expecting Kaskisuo to get dealt after training camp if the Leafs keep Neuvirth, which they should almost certainly do at this point. I think someone else has to move too. It could potentially be Timashov.

Reactions: supermann_98

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Engvall-Kossila-Aberg
Agostino-Shore-Korshkov
Timashov-Gaudet-Wilson
Clune/Brazeau

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Well that is definitely one deep Marlies group, but it's tough for prospects to get ice time that is for sure. I'm expecting Kaskisuo to get dealt after training camp if the Leafs keep Neuvirth, which they should almost certainly do at this point. I think someone else has to move too. It could potentially be Timashov.

A couple will likely be plucked off waivers.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Marchment-Brooks-Bracco
Engvall-Kossila-Aberg
Agostino-Shore-Korshkov
Timashov-Gaudet-Wilson
Clune/Brazeau

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Lindgren
Marincin-Hollowell
Gravel-Duszak

Not all of Aberg, Agostino, Shore & Wilson will be on the Marlies. In fact, with Hyman and Marner likely missing the start of the year, I only expect 1 of the 3 wingers to be sent down, and then 1 of Shore or Gauthier.

Same thing with the defense. At least one of Gravel, Kivi & Marincin will be on the main roster to start.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Not all of Aberg, Agostino, Shore & Wilson will be on the Marlies. In fact, with Hyman and Marner likely missing the start of the year, I only expect 1 of the 3 wingers to be sent down, and then 1 of Shore or Gauthier.

Same thing with the defense. At least one of Gravel, Kivi & Marincin will be on the main roster to start.

Ok but then you still have someone coming down to replace them. The only exception being Gauthier because he would almost certainly not make it through waivers.

This is obviously the full lineup. You still need depth for injuries and holdouts, but that is 17 forwards plus another handful in the ECHL. Not to mention 4 goalies for 3 spots, so one of those would have to go somewhere else (and I would think the Leafs find a trade this time, not a loan). You can exchange the names but it's a 23 man roster in the NHL. Unless someone gets traded or claimed on their way to the AHL, you are essentially just swapping out names for the same result. It's a lot of bodies with zero contract flexibility and few opportunities for prospects. That doesn't sound like a Leafs thing to do, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade to open up some spots.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think at this point, we fans are the only ones penciling in lineups. There is going to be an open, and intense competition for spots in the Leafs, and for the Marlies too. You want a spot, earn it, so it's feasible, that there could be some early upsets in this mix. It's also feasible that if the energy and play that earns you a spot in the lineup, isn't sustained, you are replaceable in many positions. The Leafs, Marlies and Growlers should all have decent, competitive lineups this year. Given cap limitations, I think they've done a pretty decent job at addressing depth, and RD. Of course, none of this on paper stuff matters, until the puck drops. Mild optimism until then, but it looks like it could be good.

Reactions: Lauro

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Today's signings give the Leafs/Marlies a lot of organizational depth. Guys that can fill in sporadically on the 4th line, but also play well in the Marlies line up if some of the prospects get recalled.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
This is exactly what you want in a good organization.

Strong healthy competition at every level, you’ve only got yourself to blame if you don’t make it. Glad we’re not a team that lacks depth.

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad