Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have a few useful Marlies, my concern is they come to the NHL and perform. At that point I worry about the new cap. How do we do this? I feel like we will have a few player and just be spinning wheels trading other good players when the time comes for pay.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We have a few useful Marlies, my concern is they come to the NHL and perform. At that point I worry about the new cap. How do we do this? I feel like we will have a few player and just be spinning wheels trading other good players when the time comes for pay.
The way we're developing guys you trade them and re-stock the farm every few years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The way we're developing guys you trade them and re-stock the farm every few years.

That's fine but we need a balanced team. The selections are only as good as the selectors. I am a huge advocate for trading expiring assets unless you plan to sign, but, Dubas got himself into a situation fast and everyone wants their overpays.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That's fine but we need a balanced team. The selections are only as good as the selectors. I am a huge advocate for trading expiring assets unless you plan to sign, but, Dubas got himself into a situation fast and everyone wants their overpays.
He traded down to select Sandin last year, Kizimov and SDA are young but are skilled and have promise. Durzi was a a piece in the Muzzin deal and Hollowell/
Kral/ Stotts/ Holmberg look okay so far.

Our scouts didn't leave with Hunter, we'll be fine drafting.

As for the money, we overpaid Nylander by 500k, overpaid Matthews by 600K, you can overpay your stars minimal amounts and still be fine.

The thing with the other guys too is that its fine if they want an overpayment, but if the deals don't fit under the cap, they literally can't sign. So you either trade them or let them sit.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He traded down to select Sandin last year, Kizimov and SDA are young but are skilled and have promise. Durzi was a a piece in the Muzzin deal and Hollowell/
Kral/ Stotts/ Holmberg look okay so far.

Our scouts didn't leave with Hunter, we'll be fine drafting.

As for the money, we overpaid Nylander by 500k, overpaid Matthews by 600K, you can overpay your stars minimal amounts and still be fine.

The thing with the other guys too is that its fine if they want an overpayment, but if the deals don't fit under the cap, they literally can't sign. So you either trade them or let them sit.

See a I agree with Nylanders OP but Matthews is far more. Probably in the order of 1.6 to 2m on 5 years. That's the important thing, term. I'd say on 5 my Max would be 9.5 and team friendly low 8.5, Kucherov money really.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
See a I agree with Nylanders OP but Matthews is far more. Probably in the order of 1.6 to 2m on 5 years. That's the important thing, term. I'd say on 5 my Max would be 9.5 and team friendly low 8.5, Kucherov money really.
Matthews is an elite scorer at the center position though. Centers always make more than wingers of equal goal scoring ability.

Steven Stamkos is the only active center with more goals per game than Matthews through their age 21 season. Matthews was better than McDavid, Crosby, and Malkin. He was better 5 on 5 than Stamkos too.

You pay for that kind of goal production from a premium position. It's why Draisaitl made about $2M more than any other comparable when he signed his extension too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews is an elite scorer at the center position though. Centers always make more than wingers of equal goal scoring ability.

Steven Stamkos is the only active center with more goals per game than Matthews through their age 21 season. Matthews was better than McDavid, Crosby, and Malkin. He was better 5 on 5 than Stamkos too.

You pay for that kind of goal production from a premium position. It's why Draisaitl made about $2M more than any other comparable when he signed his extension too.

I originally used Stammer as the comparable. He won the rocket and got a 5 year at 11.8% of cap, Matthews is far over that and not McDavid by any means.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I originally used Stammer as the comparable. He won the rocket and got a 5 year at 11.8% of cap, Matthews is far over that and not McDavid by any means.

Matthews got Malkin money. He actually got less, and really could be considered the better player. Malkin was older and put up a lot of his production through ridiculous PP minutes.

Stamkos was a whole other era when young guys didn't always get paid. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Yes, its an opinion... I'm not even saying it will be happen. All I'm saying is Sandin's development could allow us to trade Dermott (if he helps our organization).

I don't see Dermott becoming more than a #4 guy TBH. Those guys are replaceable.

Those guys are replaceable? Haha! We don’t even have that now. Younger doesn’t mean better. And why not have 6 top 4 dmen in case someone gets hurt??? Unless players don’t get injured anymore.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sandin and Liljegren played like a couple of veterans last night.

Would love to see them both break camp with the Leafs next season.

Make them your bottom pair next season to start and see how it goes. Cannot be any worse then what we have seen this season with OZ manning the bottom pair.

Reactions: supermann_98

horner

May 22, 2007
Trade and get more younger players on the bottom 2 like lines.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Thank betman

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leaf defense will be fine. We finally have a true shut down guy in Sandin. Highly non-traditional but the best 19 year old defense in world right now. In 3 years he will be Leaf #1 over Rielly. He has every aspect of game mastered. His skating is flawless and effortless. His hands are insane. His balance is incredible. He gets run and he does not frighten away he takes hit and comes out of it better than guy hitting him. And he gets better every game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Leaf defense will be fine. We finally have a true shut down guy in Sandin. Highly non-traditional but the best 19 year old defense in world right now. In 3 years he will be Leaf #1 over Rielly. He has every aspect of game mastered. His skating is flawless and effortless. His hands are insane. His balance is incredible. He gets run and he does not frighten away he takes hit and comes out of it better than guy hitting him. And he gets better every game.

He and Lilj are both solid. The thing is the cap distribution, without the luxury tax in the new CBA we just draft develop and trade in rapid succession.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He and Lilj are both solid. The thing is the cap distribution, without the luxury tax in the new CBA we just draft develop and trade in rapid succession.
The thing what makes me really excited is we have a potential #1 dman in Sandin. He is ours. I still can't believe we got him that low in draft. He was the best player on the ice by a huge margin last night.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Exactly and that is not an issue if you establish a solid core

XXXX - Matthews (11.6) - XXXX
XXXX - Tavares (11) - Marner (10-11)

Rielly (5) - XXX

Andersen (5)

~42 mill tied up in the current core or 1/2 of the cap. The rest of the pieces are expendable if need be and ideally guys like Bracco, Sandin, Lilly come in and perform. Those who prove to be worth it keep getting added to or replace the current core pieces (e.g. Maybe Rielly slows down and Sandin becomes out new #1).

Our biggest benefit is that our core players, outside of Tavares, are the same age bracket. You dont have a Chicago situation where Kane and Toews are still in their prime while Keith is on a steep decline.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
The genius that posted Liljegren won’t make it in the nhl should give up pretending he has a clue when it comes to evaluating our young players.

Liljegren Sandin and even hollywell (sp) played very well
In last nights game. The two young Swedes were the best dman on the ice. Really pleased with their development. Keefe deserves a lot of credit for having the confidence in them and letting them play. Our coach dinosaur would have them in the press box over a gud pro.

I was really impressed with Engvall. Uses his big body and plays a heavy game. Also liked marchments heavy game.

When Borgman got the dirty hit and a scrum ensued every player got involved even though they were smaller than the other team.
It was good to see the pack mentality.

Bracco has great vision and I even saw him take a hit to make a play, give a hit, and back check like a crazy man. If he isn’t in our top six beside Matthews next year Babcock should be fired.

Please Dubas don’t lose Keefe

Reactions: supermann_98

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The genius that posted Liljegren won’t make it in the nhl should give up pretending he has a clue when it comes to evaluating our young players.

Liljegren Sandin and even hollywell (sp) played very well
In last nights game. The two young Swedes were the best dman on the ice. Really pleased with their development. Keefe deserves a lot of credit for having the confidence in them and letting them play. Our coach dinosaur would have them in the press box over a gud pro.

I was really impressed with Engvall. Uses his big body and plays a heavy game. Also liked marchments heavy game.

When Borgman got the dirty hit and a scrum ensued every player got involved even though they were smaller than the other team.
It was good to see the pack mentality.

Bracco has great vision and I even saw him take a hit to make a play, give a hit, and back check like a crazy man. If he isn’t in our top six beside Matthews next year Babcock should be fired.

Please Dubas don’t lose Keefe

I like Engvall as well, could be a useful guy at some point, worth a shot at the least. Said as much earlier in the season.

Like I said, we're in good shape except the cap and overpays, if everyone wants a little extra eventually you can't afford Dermott etc

cipher

Jun 24, 2016

You are aware that the cap has consistenly increased by 4-5 million every year?
You are aware that there are potentially larger increases coming with a new franchise and revenue from other sources like gambling?
You are aware that other player contracts, who these players can replace, will be coming off the books?
You are aware that these kids are a year or more away, and when they do come up they will be on entry level contracts for a few years?

Why are you worrying about what these kids will be looking for in 3-5 years? Everyone needs to relax about our cap. It will be more than fine long term.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I would like to see Dubas become a master at gaining valuable assets for expiring contracts

Imagine what could have been had trading the like of Gardiner, JVR, Bozak, Komarov among others at the right time

This can be done with the right coach who is excellent at bringing in and developing younger players to fill those spots.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Watched a Marlies game after quite a while.

It left me convinced that the leafs need to excise every defenceman who can't move the puck from their roster.

It also made me think that losing Keefe would be far worse than losing Babcock.

Good thing your not a GM, that Marlie team is heavily stacked with skill players. The Marlies are the Yankees of the AHL, its been like that since Shanny came.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad