Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trading Durzi was incredibly smart.

Even our first rounder this year, while not a small addition, I’m not in love with anyone in the 20-30 range really.

Grundy sucks to lose. He’ll be good for LAK

Although with the strides with guys like Engvall, and with Grundstrom kind of stalling in his first full year here (he was good, but I don't think he was any better than our 2nd tier prospects on the ice most nights), I think even Grundstrom became more expendable than he was in the summer.

The trade was fine for the Leafs. I do like some guys in the first round this year, and I think it is better than it was last year (we were just lucky to get the one guy I thought was really good in that range), but I also think we could get a solid guy in the 2nd round and we will be fine. I just hope we mostly avoid OA's, because there are not many great ones this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
is korsh in tonight?

It doesn't look like it.

I saw MacMaster in warmups, and I did not see a #96. I think it is possible to see extra guys in warm up, even if they are not playing, but that does not bode well for his chances. Lineup should come out soon.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Durzi was highly praised here until he was traded and LA did not want Lily, and now Durzi is trash, lol

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Are Gabriel Gagne, Jordan Subban and Frank Corrado healthy? The only roster decision I wouldn't like is continuing to play MacMaster with the Marlies other depth options. (Jooris and Gagne)

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Yes, I saw this from Moore. I watched in mid 2017-18 Moore playing on the fourth line for the Marlies and said he should be on the first line. By the end of the season he was on the first line and in the playoffs looked like he would follow Johnsson's trajectory (if there was room for him to get a call up).

Marincin, Hall and Sparks were great on the Marlies, and, as you said being great on the Marlies is no indicator of NHL success. So Liljegren looking great on the Marlies means nothing.

You can say that we don't know until they are on the Leafs, but the organization doesn't believe that. They didn't see how good Nielsen would be on the Leafs before they traded him. They recognized, without putting him in the NHL lineup that he didn't have what it took. They didn't try Dermott out on the Leafs until his showed he could dominate on the Marlies - dominate production wise. What we have as a good indicator of success is production. It is not perfect and there are outliers, but they are rare, and it is a bad idea to assume that a prospect you like will be an outlier.

Sticky said that Gordeev's production was low and he shouldn't get an ELC.

Everyone responded emotionally saying that Sticky hadn't watched Gordeev play, and Gordeev was really good defensively and in transition, and that points don't mean anything etc.

Nope, of course that wasn't the case. Because people are rational when it is not one of their favorite prospects.

Liljegren's production is very low. It has been for 110 AHL games now. It has been for 3 years now, including his time back in Sweden and International competition. It was not before that time. I watched Liljegren play games in the SuperElit at 16. I don't mean highlight clips. I mean full games. He was completely dominant. He was on a bad team. When he was not on the ice it was completely tilted against his team. When he was on the ice it was completely tilted for his team. Didn't matter who he was on with or against. Almost all those players were 2 - 3 years older than him. Same goes for International tournament games when he was 16. The question always is does the player have the ability to take that to the next level? For the last several years the answer has looked less and less promising. Liljegren has plenty of tools. I already knew that from watching him when he was 16 and watching him last year. Does he have the toolbox? Wish he did, but at this point, it doesn't look that way.

But when people say that, others loose their minds. Wheeler and Pronman are two prospect evaluators who are very predisposed to love a player like Liljegren. But as they have become less and less enamored with him they have received nothing but invective from the mob. They were completely right in their assessment. Dubas talked up Liljegren last December - saying that before the injury they had been hoping that he would have been challenging for a spot in the spring. At the same time, according to Friedman the Leafs were down on Liljegren, and it appears Dubas was offering Liljegren in a trade, but the Kings were down on him too. I would say that it is 50/50 that the Leafs trade Liljegren before he plays a game with the big club. Makes more sense then subjecting him to fan expectations as a first rounder that he can't meet. The reassessment on him by Leafs fans in the weeks after a trade are going to be amazing.

You’re delusional

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Liljegren's passing more. I like that.

I remember last year he would just shoot at every opportunity.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Durzi was highly praised here until he was traded and LA did not want Lily, and now Durzi is trash, lol

20pts in 18GM when he was traded to Guelph Storm
19pts in 18 playoff games

The kid has a ton potential and I'm still sad we had to trade him. If Toronto is able to resign Muzzin to a reasonable contract then I think I will get over it

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Bracco looks really talented. Hate doing comparisons but he seems to be a Marner-lite player. Very good vision.

Tuned in to the first Marlies game in quite a while and was instantly disappointed when I remembered we traded Grundstrom.

Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen and obviously Sandin look very promising on the back end. Hopefully Rosen won't be out too long.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Bracco looks really talented. Hate doing comparisons but he seems to be a Marner-lite player. Very good vision.

Tuned in to the first Marlies game in quite a while and was instantly disappointed when I remembered we traded Grundstrom.

Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen and obviously Sandin look very promising on the back end. Hopefully, Rosen won't be out too long.

Marner lite, cmon, he has an offensive gift when he has the puck but post up next time you see Bracco do something defensive or have a takeaway or chase a player or the puck down or have a puck battle ... lol kidding

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Marlies powerplay has the same setup as ours but there's so much more movement from all 5 guys that it has to be a difference in coaching.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Love them together
Honestly it reminds me of Ekholm-Ellis so much.

Sandin is the bigger offensive threat and Liljegren is the solid two way possession guy. Neither are as big as Ekholm but the puck movement and possession game to go with smarts could make this a tremendous pairing for the Leafs some day too.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Some may not like this, but I think Sandin might make Dermott tradeable... THIS offseason...

I think the Leafs are going to want to keep Muzzin around long-term and Rosen for the next couple...

Rielly-XXXX
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Sandin-Liljegren/Rosen
Borgman, Holl

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Some may not like this, but I think Sandin might make Dermott tradeable... THIS offseason...

I think the Leafs are going to want to keep Muzzin around long-term and Rosen for the next couple...

Rielly-XXXX
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Sandin-Liljegren/Rosen
Borgman, Holl
Lets at least see Sandin play a game in the NHL before we start trading guys because of him.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad