2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I went to the Rocket game last night. Man, did they ever get out played! There is no talent up front, but I guess most of you already knew that.

I sat behind the Rocket bench, about 8 rows up. Seemed like the D coach and Alzner were the only guys that spoke to Brook on the bench. Brook's partner was Ouellet, and I never saw them talking. Even on the ice during a few breakouts, Ouellet was behind the goal line with the puck looking for a an open guy but ignored Brook. Brook is used to being the go-to guy on the breakout I guess but the coaches haven't had time to use that in the game plan, even though the transitions looked better when initiated by Brook than Ouellet.

As mentioned by others Brook had a few great passes that showed off his vision but no one could convert. He was confident enough to join the rush and pinch in the offensive zone. He got caught deep once late in the second period and he raced back to try to catch the Marlie who got a breakaway, diving to try to swap the puck away. Brook didn't catch the guy but he missed his chance anyway.

There were almost a half dozen penalty kills and Brook wasn't used at all on these. Also no power plays for the Rocket unfortunately, I'm sure we would have seen Brook if there had been. So he was limited to 5-on-5 play. Due to the PK he probably had the fewest minutes of all the D.

I'd say Brook's first pro game went well. You could tell that he's a smart player out there. On the play that he got caught pinching they were already down 2-0 so he was trying to create offense. Other than that smart plays, good passes, great skating, and sound positioning.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As bad as the Rocket are, forcing Evans to be a 1C right away is only good for his development. Same with Fleury being used as much as he had. I believe success breeds success so it would be nice to add a couple of veterans next season that can really help push them to the playoffs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As bad as the Rocket are, forcing Evans to be a 1C right away is only good for his development. Same with Fleury being used as much as he had. I believe success breeds success so it would be nice to add a couple of veterans next season that can really help push them to the playoffs.

The thing about bringing in vets is that when the NHL team starts going through the expected injury issues, the ones called up are the ones more NHL ready, and most of the time, it is the vets. This isn't me arguing they don't need vets. I agree they do. But they brought in vets this past off-season. Most, if not all, for one reason or another, is no longer with the team.

Laval started the year with Agostino, Chaput, Grenier, Froese, Lamarche, and Kulak. They added Alzner, Ouellet, and Schlemko along the way.

They obviously didn't have them all at the same time. But the kids are surrounded by vets.

- Kulak gets called up and does enough to stay in the NHL.

- Agostino gets called up and initially does enough to stay in NHL but is lost on waivers.

- Chaput gets called up and initially does enough to stay in NHL but is traded for Jordan Weal (good trade).

- Froese and Schlemko are traded for Weise and Folin. Folin is doing well. But I would rather have Froese in Laval than Weise in Montreal. But alas, that was the deal. Froese was UFA at the end of the season.

- Alzner and Ouellet have been very good for Laval, particularly Ouellet. Alzner not for points but by his attitude and his big brother role on the team.

- Grenier, when signed, was looked at as a veteran leader. He was an AHL All-Star last year. But he's been disappointing this season. However, him being on the team is still a good thing because even if the on-ice performance isn't great, he is still good for the young kids in the room.

I'm sure they will bring in vets again next year. But good chance that the story repeats itself with call ups and such.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

As I mentioned after Chicoutimi was eliminated by Rimouski, I can see Houde brought in on an ATO to finish the year with Laval. Along with Houde, Laval also brings in Matthew Struthers, who played for North Bay Battalion in the OHL and were eliminated by Niagara.

Matthew Struthers at eliteprospects.com

Matthew Struthers is a left-shooting center. 6'2" and 209 lbs.

This was his third year in the OHL and he had 81 pts (31G, 50A) in 61 GP. He only had 1 assist in 5 playoff games this year.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I disagree. That’s a lot of pressure to put on a rookie. There’s rare instances where a guy is talented enough and has the smarts to handle it, but overall, I’d say it puts too much pressure on them. Luckily, these guys weren’t put in that position from day one.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I disagree. That’s a lot of pressure to put on a rookie. There’s rare instances where a guy is talented enough and has the smarts to handle it, but overall, I’d say it puts too much pressure on them. Luckily, these guys weren’t put in that position from day one.

Correct. Evans was 3C and Vejdemo was 4C to start the season. Fleury was a third pair defenseman and even a healthy scratch on some nights at the start of the year. Most of the big minutes were given to McCarron, Chaput, and Agostino, while on defense, it was Kulak and Lernout. The rookies were peppered around those vets on the PP and on some shifts.

Evans being 1C and Vejdemo 2C now was a slow progression that was also a result of the movements and losses of some of those vets (McCarron to injury, Agostino to waivers, Chaput & Froese to trades, and Kulak to call up). However, because Evans and Vejdemo have a certain amount of skill, as well as work ethic and IQ, they were able to be thrust into being the top two centers and handle it without crumbling.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yup. And I just posted this in the Poehling thread:

Suzuki, Brooks, Primeau, and possibly Poehling play in Laval next year? Sign me up LOL. Seriously, if was in charge? Romanov would be coming to Laval next year. We are the most powerful NHL franchise in the world. Time to use our weight IMO.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I went to the Rocket game last night. Man, did they ever get out played! There is no talent up front, but I guess most of you already knew that.

I sat behind the Rocket bench, about 8 rows up. Seemed like the D coach and Alzner were the only guys that spoke to Brook on the bench. Brook's partner was Ouellet, and I never saw them talking. Even on the ice during a few breakouts, Ouellet was behind the goal line with the puck looking for a an open guy but ignored Brook. Brook is used to being the go-to guy on the breakout I guess but the coaches haven't had time to use that in the game plan, even though the transitions looked better when initiated by Brook than Ouellet.

As mentioned by others Brook had a few great passes that showed off his vision but no one could convert. He was confident enough to join the rush and pinch in the offensive zone. He got caught deep once late in the second period and he raced back to try to catch the Marlie who got a breakaway, diving to try to swap the puck away. Brook didn't catch the guy but he missed his chance anyway.

There were almost a half dozen penalty kills and Brook wasn't used at all on these. Also no power plays for the Rocket unfortunately, I'm sure we would have seen Brook if there had been. So he was limited to 5-on-5 play. Due to the PK he probably had the fewest minutes of all the D.

I'd say Brook's first pro game went well. You could tell that he's a smart player out there. On the play that he got caught pinching they were already down 2-0 so he was trying to create offense. Other than that smart plays, good passes, great skating, and sound positioning.

Did Brook get caught pinching twice? I was flipping around a little with the NCAA games but I only saw Brook get caught pinching once and it was late in the 3rd with only a few minutes left in the game. I made note of it because I felt it was fine doing that since we were down and it was late in the game. Now if we were up I hope he wouldn't do that.

But agree his 1st game went well.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Also keep in mind, this was Brook's first ever contact with Laval. He hasn't even had a practice yet. I do recall that after one of his rushes up the ice with the puck, he went back to the bench and Daniel Jacob went to pat him on the back and tell him that he made a good play.

So even with no practices and no real chemistry built with anyone yet and taking all of that into consideration, Brook's first outing with the Laval Rocket was a good one.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Did Brook get caught pinching twice? I was flipping around a little with the NCAA games but I only saw Brook get caught pinching once and it was late in the 3rd with only a few minutes left in the game. I made note of it because I felt it was fine doing that since we were down and it was late in the game. Now if we were up I hope he wouldn't do that.

But agree his 1st game went well.
I don't recall him getting caught in the third period, the play I was referring to happened in the second.

Found a video of the pinch, it's at about the 3:30 mark, just over 4 minutes left in the second.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Suzuki, Brooks, Primeau, and possibly Poehling play in Laval next year? Sign me up LOL. Seriously, if was in charge? Romanov would be coming to Laval next year. We are the most powerful NHL franchise in the world. Time to use our weight IMO.

Romanov in KHL or in Laval doesn't really matter too much imo. There's likely a log jam at D anyways next year so I really don't see the rush especially if Walford and Tyszka possibly coming.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Romanov in KHL or in Laval doesn't really matter too much imo. There's likely a log jam at D anyways next year so I really don't see the rush especially if Walford and Tyszka possibly coming.
Wrong! Log jam? Drop that bastard in the mix with Brooks, Suzuki, Poehling, and Primeau? That is what we need!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

As I mentioned after Chicoutimi was eliminated by Rimouski, I can see Houde brought in on an ATO to finish the year with Laval. Along with Houde, Laval also brings in Matthew Struthers, who played for North Bay Battalion in the OHL and were eliminated by Niagara.

Matthew Struthers at eliteprospects.com

Matthew Struthers is a left-shooting center. 6'2" and 209 lbs.

This was his third year in the OHL and he had 81 pts (31G, 50A) in 61 GP. He only had 1 assist in 5 playoff games this year.

Have you seen him play?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dmitri Sokolov has 30 pts in 57 AHL games. This is the guy on the same team as Pezzetta in the same draft.

Sokolov might never make it because of his skating but he's infinitely more skilled than Pezzetta. I will never understand it

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wrong! Log jam? Drop that bastard in the mix with Brooks, Suzuki, Poehling, and Primeau? That is what we need!

Russia...Laval. I really don't see the difference. Definitely don't see that as being a need. He did just fine in Russia. Don't have to collect them all or anything lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad