Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Wonder if the rumors of the Kings pursuing an additional scoring winger will link them up again in Pacioretty trade discussions.

If his extension was for $7M per year, the Kings would have to move one of Pearson/Toffoli and Muzzin/Martinez to make it work.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Philly will gladly work out a deal with you to bring him in :) He is still the best Goalie in the league and you are very lucky to have him!

LOL :D - thanks, but no thanks. yeah, I do love me some Quickie as well. I look at it that he's so good, but he can easily be better. I know, sounds selfish.

He is easily the best goalie the Kings have ever had.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Wonder if the rumors of the Kings pursuing an additional scoring winger will link them up again in Pacioretty trade discussions.

If his extension was for $7M per year, the Kings would have to move one of Pearson/Toffoli and Muzzin/Martinez to make it work.

Queue the Pacioretty for Vilardi+ rumors again.

I'm already filling out my thank you cards for the favor Montreal is doing for us.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Queue the Pacioretty for Vilardi+ rumors again.

I'm already filling out my thank you cards for the favor Montreal is doing for us.

I like Patches, but that would be a mistake. What the Kings don't need, is a player who will be 31 when that new deal begins on a 7 yr deal at 7.5 or more (rumored based on what JVR got and that Patches numbers GPG and PPG are better over the last several years) . Mistake.
You don't get better by having all the LTC's on your team players in their 30's.

Skinner was the guy that would have made sense, for an LTC in that range given his age.

Reactions: go4hockey
Jul 31, 2005
CA
I like Patches, but that would be a mistake. What the Kings don't need, is a player who will be 31 when that new deal begins on a 7 yr deal at 7.5 or more (rumored based on what JVR got and that Patches numbers GPG and PPG are better over the last several years) . Mistake.
You don't get better by having all the LTC's on your team players in their 30's.

Skinner was the guy that would have made sense, for an LTC in that range given his age.

Given Montreal's current situation and now announcing he won't be extended I don't think many NHL teams are offering full price for Pacioretty. It's time for teams to pounce on Montreal, their season is already over, Weber is out long term and they need a center, Vilardi isn't gonna be part of a deal. I think the OP was saying how every Montreal rumor will include Vilardi because that is who THEY want.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Given Montreal's current situation and now announcing he won't be extended I don't think many NHL teams are offering full price for Pacioretty. It's time for teams to pounce on Montreal, their season is already over, Weber is out long term and they need a center, Vilardi isn't gonna be part of a deal. I think the OP was saying how every Montreal rumor will include Vilardi because that is who THEY want.

Agree on the trade chips going the otherway and the Habs being desperate. But then you are trading for a rental. He can wait to next summer and sign with another team.
And there will be teams that will do that...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Agree on the trade chips going the otherway and the Habs being desperate. But then you are trading for a rental. He can wait to next summer and sign with another team.
And there will be teams that will do that...

I think you trade for him as a rental if the price is right...a 2nd in 2019, a 2nd in 2020 and a B prospect, you dump Thompson, trade Muzzin/Martinez for futures, and you roll with,

Pacioretty - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Carter - Vilardi
Pearson - Kempe - Toffoli
Clifford - Amadio - Lewis

Doughty - Forbort
Muzzin/Martinez - Fantenberg
Phaneuf - Ladue/Brickley

Quick
XXXX

Yea, it's a rental, but that's a pretty nice lineup with a real shot if everyone plays well

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think you trade for him as a rental if the price is right...a 2nd in 2019, a 2nd in 2020 and a B prospect, you dump Thompson, trade Muzzin/Martinez for futures, and you roll with,

Pacioretty - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Carter - Vilardi
Pearson - Kempe - Toffoli
Clifford - Amadio - Lewis

Doughty - Forbort
Muzzin/Martinez - Fantenberg
Phaneuf - Ladue/Brickley

Quick
XXXX

Yea, it's a rental, but that's a pretty nice lineup with a real shot if everyone plays well

Offensively for sure. That defense would scare the bejeezus out of me. Fantenberg getting 2nd line minutes would be... an adventure.

One thing that's overlooked when the Muzzin/Martinez idea comes up is if one of them is traded for offense, the team doesn't have enough penalty killing defensmen. The PK is a huge part of the Kings' success, and it would struggle big time with this lineup. MacD (with 8 minutes and 30 seconds of SH TOI) had more PK time than Fantenberg, LaDue, and Phaneuf. That speaks volumes.

Reactions: go4hockey

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Offensively for sure. That defense would scare the bejeezus out of me. Fantenberg getting 2nd line minutes would be... an adventure.

One thing that's overlooked when the Muzzin/Martinez idea comes up is if one of them is traded for offense, the team doesn't have enough penalty killing defensmen. The PK is a huge part of the Kings' success, and it would struggle big time with this lineup. MacD (with 8 minutes and 30 seconds of SH TOI) had more PK time than Fantenberg, LaDue, and Phaneuf. That speaks volumes.

Agreed, but at one point, you either let them play, your keep the status quo, Muzzin/Martinez matched up with Brickley, La Due or Fantenberg, and Phaneuf matched up with one, I think will have enough experience to get it done...the opportunity to put out such a strong top nine is there, I think you have to take it. Might start winning games 4-3, I know..the horror lol

Reactions: King Trouty

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Agreed, but at one point, you either let them play, your keep the status quo, Muzzin/Martinez matched up with Brickley, La Due or Fantenberg, and Phaneuf matched up with one, I think will have enough experience to get it done...the opportunity to put out such a strong top nine is there, I think you have to take it. Might start winning games 4-3, I know..the horror lol

I think if Brickley pans out and shows promise quickly, it's definitely a consideration. Otherwise, it's pretty risky. If one of the 3 went down, the team would be stuck with 2 experienced PK'ers on the blue line.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m surprised the guys under contract are allowed to play. What are the rules around that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad