Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Remember Hudson Fasching and how high Lombardi was on him before the trade? Looks like he's on his 3rd team now playing for the Coyotes.

Weren't some fans saying that Fasching was a loss? Especially when McNabb wasn't yet what the team wanted him to be in 14-15.

The thing about prospects is that most aren't all that good, most won't make it, and outside of no doubt guys like McDavid, there's always another one coming. Even most 1st round talent is eventually replaceable in the system.

It's all about context. We don't hear much about the yearly production from Schenn and/or Simmonds, because they did manage to win it all with Richards. We'll never hear the end of Barzal and/or Connor, because they got 1 playoff win. Even though in both instances, the team would be better off on July 13th, 2018 had they never made either trade.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Remember Hudson Fasching and how high Lombardi was on him before the trade? Looks like he's on his 3rd team now playing for the Coyotes.

I remember the belly-aching around here when that trade went down. LOL. Obviously DL knew Fasching was a long shot to become an NHL player. He might still turn it around though but so far 3 teams are not betting on it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well, it is a 2 year contract...

It really is a "show me" type of deal, as LaDue, who will be 26 when training camp starts, will become a UFA at the end of the contract. If he struggles to hold a spot this season or looks average again in camp, then he's likely to wind up as waiver fodder and go the way of Kevin Gravel.

Hopefully he finally emerges as a solid #5-6 guy and fills in for Folin. I'm not going to get my hopes up and expect big things out of him, but I hope at the very least he proves that he belongs with the big club. Many of us thought last season he'd be making strides and make the team full-time, but he had a disappointing camp/preseason and found his way back in Ontario for most of last season.

With Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf and Forbort holding down the top 5 spots, I think it'll come down to LaDue, Fantenberg or Brickley to round out the blueline, and a guy like MacDermid could hold down the #7 spot and be a healthy scratch for most of the season.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The biggest knock on LaDue, Fantenberg, MacDermid, and Gravel was that the #6 spot was open all season and none of them could definitively claim it over the others. Gravel's gone and the only saving grace for the other 3 is that outside of Brickley, nobody 23 or younger is expected to compete for that spot.

Reactions: King'sPawn

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
RH Dman but signing as a leftie. Guess that's not too weird. Haha.

Good contract for the Kings and LaDue has to prove he belongs if he wants to cash in on his UFA after this contract. I'm going to say he'll be up for the challenge and nail down the #6 spot.

Reactions: King Trouty

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
RH Dman but signing as a leftie. Guess that's not too weird. Haha.

Good contract for the Kings and LaDue has to prove he belongs if he wants to cash in on his UFA after this contract. I'm going to say he'll be up for the challenge and nail down the #6 spot.

Most guys who take up hockey before baseball play with their dominant hand on top of the stick, might be the case with LaDue being he's from North Dakota.

Reactions: yankeeking

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was a nice Q+A in The Athletic tonight by Dillman with John Stevens. We knew he visited his players in the summer, but I thought it was cool that Dion likes to be in his community--Stevens got to see why. But interesting to me was that Dion has a near-TSC-size gym on his property. Hope he has a big summer and comes in hot. Knew he was disciplined and a bit of a gym rat but that's a whole different level.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It really is a "show me" type of deal, as LaDue, who will be 26 when training camp starts, will become a UFA at the end of the contract. If he struggles to hold a spot this season or looks average again in camp, then he's likely to wind up as waiver fodder and go the way of Kevin Gravel.

Hopefully he finally emerges as a solid #5-6 guy and fills in for Folin. I'm not going to get my hopes up and expect big things out of him, but I hope at the very least he proves that he belongs with the big club. Many of us thought last season he'd be making strides and make the team full-time, but he had a disappointing camp/preseason and found his way back in Ontario for most of last season.

With Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf and Forbort holding down the top 5 spots, I think it'll come down to LaDue, Fantenberg or Brickley to round out the blueline, and a guy like MacDermid could hold down the #7 spot and be a healthy scratch for most of the season.

Brickley will start in the AHL unless something crazy happens in pre-season.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I have a feeling LaDue is the #6 and Fattenberg and MacD rotate as the #7, either both being extras if the Kings only keep one extra forward OR one stays and the other goes down and they send down and call up the other when needed like they did last year if the Kings keep 2 extra forwards.

I believe Brodzinski has to clear waivers? What about Amadio?

Reactions: DoktorJeep and YP44

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I have a feeling LaDue is the #6 and Fattenberg and MacD rotate as the #7, either both being extras if the Kings only keep one extra forward OR one stays and the other goes down and they send down and call up the other when needed like they did last year if the Kings keep 2 extra forwards.

I believe Brodzinski has to clear waivers? What about Amadio?
Fantenberg, MacDermid, Brodzinski all require waivers.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Brickley will start in the AHL unless something crazy happens in pre-season.
How in the hell could you say this with any certainty? There are a lot of folks, inside and outside the org, extremely high on Brickley.

Let's see what he does, how he handles camp and preseason first, no?

Or does the LaDue re-signing make it a foregone conclusion for you? We already burned a year of his ELC.

I think he has the fast track to at least the #7 D, ahead of Mike Tyson and Fantenberg

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How in the hell could you say this with any certainty? There are a lot of folks, inside and outside the org, extremely high on Brickley.

Let's see what he does, how he handles camp and preseason first, no?

Or does the LaDue re-signing make it a foregone conclusion for you? We already burned a year of his ELC.

I think he has the fast track to at least the #7 D, ahead of Mike Tyson and Fantenberg

Because I think it makes more sense for him to play in the AHL then sit in the NHL. If a D-man goes down I think Brickley is the first guy called up as he would then actually see the ice on a constant basis. If there is constant ice to be had I see him playing over MacDermid and rotating at the least with Fattenberg. Also the fact of the matter is he does not require waivers so he would need to be dramatically better than LaDue to push for that 6th spot.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Because I think it makes more sense for him to play in the AHL then sit in the NHL. If a D-man goes down I think Brickley is the first guy called up as he would then actually see the ice on a constant basis. If there is constant ice to be had I see him playing over MacDermid and rotating at the least with Fattenberg. Also the fact of the matter is he does not require waivers so he would need to be dramatically better than LaDue to push for that 6th spot.
Then we lose the second year of his ELC. I don't see it. I think he makes the team over Diesel and Fantenberg, so long as he comes as advertised. This is a guy who has been projected as having top-4 potential and very NHL-ready

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Then we lose the second year of his ELC. I don't see it. I think he makes the team over Diesel and Fantenberg, so long as he comes as advertised. This is a guy who has been projected as having top-4 potential and very NHL-ready

Well hopefully he plays his way onto the team and forces that decision.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love that we have camp competition for even those last few spots. Each one of those guys has a legitimate case. Remember that LaDue essentially played himself OFF the roster last camp whiile MacDermid surprised and is beloved by the org, so I'm eager to see which guy survives the cage match this time around.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I love that we have camp competition for even those last few spots. Each one of those guys has a legitimate case. Remember that LaDue essentially played himself OFF the roster last camp whiile MacDermid surprised and is beloved by the org, so I'm eager to see which guy survives the cage match this time around.

If it was a cage match, i know who my money would be on

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If MacDermid heavily focuses in on edge work and getting some extra speed on his turns he'd be really solid. He has good straight line speed for his height but sucks at turning corners/pivoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad