• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Morin is getting no love, don't get it

- Perceived to have lower upside, due to lower end offensive skills
- Coming off a 15 game injury-riddled season which ended with torn ACL
- He is turning 24 next summer and likely won't have more than a handful of NHL games under his belt

- Other prospects are doing well

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
This is my problem with resigning Simmons or signing JVR. We don't need more long contracts with so many kids with realistic chances of being great pros.

To be fair that JVR contract is very tradeable. If we get to a point where he declines and is pushed out by the young kids it shouldn't be hard to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: Larry44

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To be fair that JVR contract is very tradeable. If we get to a point where he declines and is pushed out by the young kids it shouldn't be hard to trade him for pennies on the dollar.
It's a movable contract now, but if he seriously declines to the point that we want/need to get rid of him then it wont be...

But there's no reason to expect that, so no reason to worry about it now.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It's a movable contract now, but if he seriously declines to the point that we want/need to get rid of him then it wont be...

But there's no reason to expect that, so no reason to worry about it now.

The way the actual money vs AAV is set up I think that even in the last two years of the deal it would be reasonably moveable to a team near the salary cap floor.

And barring major injury trouble that severely hurts his abilities JVR should at least be a serviceable 3rd liner who can produce on the PP for the whole of that contract. I dunno. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
People complaining about depth? Did you forget about the bottom 6 we dressed last year?

I like Vorobyev but his ceiling here is 3C and he needs Frost to play wing for that to happen. I have him in this 5-10ish tier but have a couple guys ahead of him.

Reactions: Striiker

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The way the actual money vs AAV is set up I think that even in the last two years of the deal it would be reasonably moveable to a team near the salary cap floor.

And barring major injury trouble that severely hurts his abilities JVR should at least be a serviceable 3rd liner who can produce on the PP for the whole of that contract. I dunno. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Oh snap I thought the last two years were lower then they were! Should have researched before I typed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is my problem with resigning Simmons or signing JVR. We don't need more long contracts with so many kids with realistic chances of being great pros.

Simmonds I agree with.

Being unhappy with giving JVR a 5 year deal, when he is exactly the player we are currently missing on offense (LW goal scorer), because of a couple of prospects in our system makes little to no sense.

Reactions: 46zone

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Vorobyev for me is a tier below where we are still at.

In no real order this tier still has :

Allison, Ratcliffe, Rubstov, and Morin.

Then NAK, Voro, and Laczynski

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Has less to do with Morin than it does the other prospects. He is definitely in my top 10 but a defensemen with a ceiling of a stay-at-home #4 doesnt belong ahead of forwards with top 6 ceilings.

I value him higher as he is a massive need over someone like Alison. Our D will be is desperate need of some muscle and rather that be Morin over some plug vet

But I get the reasoning against him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Morin’s probably still my #2 defensemen but he’ll be pushed back by forwards. Not that it’s some strong endorsement of Morin at this point but I really don’t think any of the other defensemen are clear cut NHLers at a level higher than a top four defender either.

Reactions: Rebels57

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I value him higher as he is a massive need over someone like Alison. Our D will be is desperate need of some muscle and rather that be Morin over some plug vet

I don't think Morin is a massive need over Allison or Ratcliffe. We already have two better LHD. What is a bigger need 2/3 RW or #5-6 defenseman? You could argue either way, IMO. You could say we need a really good PK defenseman and Morin could fill that hole. But, we also need shooters/goal scorers and Allison and Ratcliffe can fill those roles.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don't think Morin is a massive need over Allison or Ratcliffe. We already have two better LHD. What is a bigger need 2/3 RW or #5-6 defenseman? You could argue either way, IMO. You could say we need a really good PK defenseman and Morin could fill that hole. But, we also need shooters/goal scorers and Allison and Ratcliffe can fill those roles.

Jake and TK are here for 5 more years min. G and JVR also, give me the D help.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall’s going to be judged by the success of the on ice product sooner or later. So he had to acquire a player to help out now like JVR.

People buying the tickets are going to eventually start to walk if it’s more of the same as the last five years if they haven’t already.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're already past the last four years, for some reason people look at the young players already on the roster (Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Provorov, Sanheim), all of whom are 22 or young this coming season, and don't expect significant improvement - just look at the strides Couts made from 18-23 or Ghost from 22-24.

Then you add the players coming up this year and the next three years . . . .

JVR was a luxury item that Ron could afford, the first three years he has lots of cap room, the fourth year may get a little tight, the fifth year Giroux is either gone or on a lower cost deal. He buys two to three years for the young wingers to arrive and mature, and if they pass him JVR could easily be moved for minor retained salary unless he falls off a cliff at 31.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
People complaining about depth? Did you forget about the bottom 6 we dressed last year?

I like Vorobyev but his ceiling here is 3C and he needs Frost to play wing for that to happen. I have him in this 5-10ish tier but have a couple guys ahead of him.
Not complaining about depth. I’m just curious where they all fit into the top 9 if 2-3 of them hit in the next 1-2 years. Trust me, not saying it’s a bad thing be any means.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not complaining about depth. I’m just curious where they all fit into the top 9 if 2-3 of them hit in the next 1-2 years. Trust me, not saying it’s a bad thing be any means.

Not a problem that even crosses my mind until these kids are actually NHL ready.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

These are my thoughts. Morin just fills a huge need and has to potential to fill it well.

It really annoys me how much they have f***ed up his development.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad