• Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Misha and Rubstov will be 40 point two-way players that skate against the other teams top six plus have the potential to play on the second power play unit! All day long!
Not saying Allison won't get to the show...he'll get there like a Dustin Brown clone...hustle and bustle on heart and determination! Just on a different SKILL! IMO

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Where do people have Aube-Kubel, Kase, and Lycksell? These players seem like safe bets for NHL roles in the next season or two.

I find it noteworthy that the Lycksell, in his D+2, will be a young 19 entering his second season in the SHL. Lycksell is also listed at all 3 forward positions.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Where do you factor in competitiveness, drive and intensity? Some people might view that as part of HIQ but I think its a totally separate evaluation.

That's kind of hard to make a grade for; you either have it or don't. How about pass/fail? :laugh:

I don't think it's remotely related to hockey IQ. I do think inconsistent players who don't impact games enough/wander aimlessly can sometimes get mislabeled as low compete when they're just low hockey sense.

I know Hextall has mentioned they view drive as an important scouting x-factor. I tend to agree. I don't think it's a case of overrating intangibles; players who have high compete on/off ice are more likely to hit their ceiling. Then there's Rubtsov. He's neither low hockey IQ nor low compete. Far from it. He just needs more intensity WITH the puck, which is not exactly a common case.

Probably physicality

Fwiw I meant "physicality" as the ability to win puck battles, on-puck strength, boards work, etc. Not hitting.

Reactions: wankstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Probably around 10-15, they illustrate the depth of the system.
Lycksell is still a bit unknown, he got some PT in the SHL last year, but not a big role.
26 g 5-2 7 +4, this year he'll probably get a bigger role and we can gauge his progress.

Think Kase is below Lycksell, turned 21 in the SHL, 44 9-13 23 -15, pretty respectable but he's not a kid anymore.
He'll get tested in the AHL.

NAK played better in his second AHL season 8 months older than Kase, 72g 18-28 46, leading ES scorer but was MIA in the playoffs.
Think he'll make the team on the 4th line but not sure what his upside is, is he limited or just a slower learner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's kind of hard to make a grade for; you either have it or don't. How about pass/fail? :laugh:

I don't think it's remotely related to hockey IQ. I do think inconsistent players who don't impact games enough/wander aimlessly can sometimes get mislabeled as low compete when they're just low hockey sense.

I know Hextall has mentioned they view drive as an important scouting x-factor. I tend to agree. I don't think it's a case of overrating intangibles; players who have high compete on/off ice are more likely to hit their ceiling. Then there's Rubtsov. He's neither low hockey IQ nor low compete. Far from it. He just needs more intensity WITH the puck, which is not exactly a common case.

Fwiw I meant "physicality" as the ability to win puck battles, on-puck strength, boards work, etc. Not hitting.

I suspect it's easier to teach a player who is fundamentally sound to be more aggressive with the puck than to teach a puck hog how to play without the puck.

Physicality does include hitting, especially on the forecheck, it matters because when players start looking for the forechecker, they often lose sight of the puck.
However, points have to be taken away for stupid penalties, you want smart aggression.
TK shows that a smaller player with good speed who is physical can intimidate defenders on the forecheck. His speed forces quick decisions in the corners.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Where do people have Aube-Kubel, Kase, and Lycksell? These players seem like safe bets for NHL roles in the next season or two.

I find it noteworthy that the Lycksell, in his D+2, will be a young 19 entering his second season in the SHL. Lycksell is also listed at all 3 forward positions.

NAK should get significant NHL action in 18-19.

Kase and Lycksell are quite a ways away though.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Misha falls into the Couturier mold. His brain, vision, and intstincts are his best asset. He pretty much is a poor man's Couturier, and I mean that as a huge complement.

Vorobyev has the ability, like Couturier, to make every linemate better and impact in the game in so many ways. I'm still trying to figure out how he managed such an impressive Corsi number this year. While his most common linemate, Fazleev, finished near the bottom in 5v5 Corsi on LV.

The first time I ever saw him I called him a poor man's Coots too. He's a player who is more than the sum of his parts because of that brain and passing and size, and it's not like he has any weaknesses. I just worry his ceiling won't be actualized here. His best case is 3C, maybe 4C, with PP time undecided. He has one major advantage over some higher touted or equally touted prospects though: he will likely be up before all of them to carve out a role. But he's the type who might only thrive elsewhere. Patrick and Frost changed everything (in a good way).

Spoiler alert! I'm thinking of ranking Lycksell as my next forward after this group. He's got actual scoring line skill; he might have more raw skill than this group too. I imagine this will be the year where we'll know what we have in him because he's still a little unknown. He could rise. Kase led his crappy SHL team at age 20 in points. I've always liked him in international competition, but even more than Lycksell, this will be the year where we know what we have in the AHL. I might have him next, but NAK had a solid year already in LHV. But I worry about NAK's usage/potential here, and he's not without his own weaknesses either past his skating/forechecking/shooting at 5v5.

That's my next group of forwards though. Then you have forwards like Cates -- another player we'll learn much about this year -- along with Strome, Sushko, etc. I'm still unsure what I'm doing.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The first time I ever saw him I called him a poor man's Coots too. He's a player who is more than the sum of his parts because of that brain and passing and size, and it's not like he has any weaknesses. I just worry his ceiling won't be actualized here. His best case is 3C, maybe 4C, with PP time undecided. He has one major advantage over some higher touted or equally touted prospects though: he will likely be up before all of them to carve out a role. But he's the type who might only thrive elsewhere.

Spoiler alert! I'm thinking of ranking Lycksell as my next forward after this group. He's got actual scoring line skill; he might have more raw skill than this group too. I imagine this will be the year where we'll know what we have in him because he's still a little unknown. He could rise. Kase led his crappy SHL team at age 20 in points. I've always liked him in international competition, but even more than Lycksell, this will be the year where we know what we have in the AHL. I might have him next, but NAK had a solid year already in LHV. But I worry about NAK's usage/potential here, and he's not without his own weaknesses either past his skating/forechecking/shooting at 5v5.

That's my next group of forwards. Then you have someone like Cates -- another player we'll learn much about this year -- who might be a segue to Strome, Sushko, etc. I'm still unsure what I'm doing.

Lycksell is our one interesting prospect that I have seen almost nothing of. I think I saw maybe one of his games. Gotta catch up on him.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Probably around 10-15, they illustrate the depth of the system.
Lycksell is still a bit unknown, he got some PT in the SHL last year, but not a big role.
26 g 5-2 7 +4, this year he'll probably get a bigger role and we can gauge his progress.

Think Kase is below Lycksell, turned 21 in the SHL, 44 9-13 23 -15, pretty respectable but he's not a kid anymore.
He'll get tested in the AHL.

NAK played better in his second AHL season 8 months older than Kase, 72g 18-28 46, leading ES scorer but was MIA in the playoffs.
Think he'll make the team on the 4th line but not sure what his upside is, is he limited or just a slower learner.

Kase has a lot of experience in international tournaments and two different men's leagues. So, there's a good body of work against peers and older opponents. I'm sure there'll be some adjustment to smaller rink/pace, but I gather that he has a NA style of play.

Lycksell seems like he should be one of the biggest risers (besides Frost) from reports of his play across the 3 Swedish leagues last season.

People seem to be putting a lot of weight into 9 playoff games. IIRC, NAK was the best forward on the Phantoms for the majority of the regular season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playoffs are a higher level of competition, you'd like to see a player step it up a notch.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Playoffs are a higher level of competition, you'd like to see a player step it up a notch.

Didn't he miss the final 3 games of the Checkers series where everyone started scoring? Also, not much of the team showed up against the Marlies. They were outclassed

Reactions: NicolasAubeKubel

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Didn't he miss the final 3 games of the Checkers series where everyone started scoring? Also, not much of the team showed up against the Marlies. They were outclassed

Yes nak was suspended 3 games for a high hit to the head during the checkers series.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

I agree with most of your points on Rubtsov i watched all his Mem Cup games to get a better feel cause that's where the competition should be ramped up. My concern is the complete lack of production was the same there as the regular season and he did see his fair share of PP time and lots of ice time . I have him in my top 10 but cannot move him up this high till either i can get him figured out or he can get it figured out .

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The problem with too many good players isn’t with the main team but that the Flyers do a horrid job creating trade value with their prospects. It’s just an, “Oh well,” type situation.

So much this. The Flyers should probably figure out who they like between Allison, Ratcliffe and Strome and trade two of them.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The first time I ever saw him I called him a poor man's Coots too. He's a player who is more than the sum of his parts because of that brain and passing and size, and it's not like he has any weaknesses. I just worry his ceiling won't be actualized here. His best case is 3C, maybe 4C, with PP time undecided. He has one major advantage over some higher touted or equally touted prospects though: he will likely be up before all of them to carve out a role. But he's the type who might only thrive elsewhere. Patrick and Frost changed everything (in a good way).
I think the Flyers will try him at wing at some point. There are too many quality centers that someone is going to have to move.

It will be interesting if Lycksell makes the world juniors team this year.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
RNG chose Ratcliffe this time.

Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubstov and Vorobyev all are nearly equal in current value. Ranking them is hard because they all are different stages of development.

I didn't appreciate Allison as much as other here do earlier. But the discussion in this and earlier threads really turned me around.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So much this. The Flyers should probably figure out who they like between Allison, Ratcliffe and Strome and trade two of them.

Or just wait, because none would bring a 1st rd pick right now.
So see who emerges, and if too many emerge, then make a trade.

A player who tears up the AHL and shows promise in limited NHL minutes has far more trade value than someone with big NCAA or PD+2 numbers.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I skipped out ranking the new guys because of being in Peru for the past 7 weeks and not having the time to dive into them.

I've had Wade higher than than anyone else since Ron picked him. I didn't get to see him this year but I'll still go with my gut on him.

Really impressed with the visual improvement Ratcliffe showed in at least his highlight package. He definitely took the step with his hands that I'd hoped he would. His combination makes him an easy next vote for me, I had a hard time sticking with Wade here because of my lack of exposure to him this past season.

I was big on Rubtsov after his late showing in 16/17 but his lack of aggressiveness sets me back a bit. I'm worried that the roughness of the NA game my scare him off a little. Not sure what's done it but I'm put off a tad by it that's forsure.

Also still have Strome behind these guys for forwards. His combination of shot/hands/IQ are no less impressive than these guys but his footwork didn't take much of a jump at least from a highly limited glance. He's a big chubby young kid though and I'm still banking on him picking up speed as his body develops. For me he has PP skill and scoring potential.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Not sure if this may be why or still in effect but hf had a rule u could not vote in any poll posted until u hit 200 posts

Thanks for heads up. I can't seem to post in some other forums, too. So maybe that's why.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But why? That defeats the whole purpose of drafting in volume. None of those guys are can't miss and one is a RW.

And what the hell are you getting for them in a trade? Probably not much more than a pick from the round that they were selected in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But why? That defeats the whole purpose of drafting in volume. None of those guys are can't miss and one is a RW.

And what the hell are you getting for them in a trade? Probably not much more than a pick from the round that they were selected in.

Yeah. People need to chill. This is not a problem until kids are NHL ready and there aren't enough spots. That is not yet the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->