2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
This is hands down the deepest NHL and AHL team we've ever had, especially for the AHL. Our ECHL team is going to be pretty stacked as well as a result. Love it.

Nah...just the depth of the 2001 team alone beats whatever, but the Bears that year weren't bereft of talent. Sure, the AHL this year has more promise, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: RareDangles

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If O'Connor keeps this up I'm guessing he'd be a LOCk for the Eagles?

Looks like Saigeon is old enough to play there as well.
He would have to battle with the remaining AHL contracts for a position on the bottom 2 lines, but from what I've seen in this prospect tournament, he definitely has the step in his game that players like Ully and McGauley clearly don't have.

Saigeon has been good and will be battling for an ELC at training camp, but I kind of hope he is loaned back to Hamilton. He has missed a good chunk of time in two seasons with injuries. I definitely do not want to rush him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I worry about these two heading up the prospect development in the AHL. Hopefully others keep a very close eye and will be involved with the team being nearby now.

As for the jerseys, I'm not really feeling the dark blue and black combo they've got going on.

Reactions: klozge

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

Eh.. They kinda looks like the Jets jerseys.

They seem a bit all over the place. If the logo is going to so prominantly feature red, blue and yellow, those colors should also at least appear in the rest of the journey. I have no idea where they got blue and black from. To me these scream "will be changed next season" jerseys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Should've changed the black with the blue, black is such an overrated jersey colour. Also should get rid of the garbage "Colorado Eagles" text - the best logos are ones without any sort of in-text citation declaring which team the opposing is playing against. Because of this, you can expand and make the actual eagle bigger.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually like them even though I've never been a huge fan of black-and-blue together.

But "all over the place" is kind of an apt description for most minor league sports uniforms. They usually get a bit more wacky than the pros do.

Reactions: McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol, it always somehow works its way out in the end...

Remember when we traded the 2nd rounder for Reto Berra? Well, Calgary Flames drafted 6'7" - 231 lbs powerforward Hunter Smith at eliteprospects.com with that pick. Currently he turned out to be nothing more than a bottom 6er in the AHL, but was invited by the Colorado Eagles for their training camp. So we got our original 2nd rounder back for the Reto Berra trade.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Remember when we traded the 2nd rounder for Reto Berra? Well, Calgary Flames drafted 6'7" - 231 lbs powerforward Hunter Smith at eliteprospects.com with that pick. Currently he turned out to be nothing more than a bottom 6er in the AHL, but was invited by the Colorado Eagles for their training camp. So we got our original 2nd rounder back for the Reto Berra trade.

Geesh first Heard, Bigras, Greer, now SMITH When will the avs not draft a bust with their 2nd rounders? :sarcasm: It's all riding on Timmins and his already scrambled brain.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Greer is gonna be good though. His AHL numbers are meh, but i really liked some of his tape. High IQ plus size plus character, it’ll work out eventually.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Greer's not a bust yet, but he needs to carve out an NHL role this year or else he's probably going to become one. With Bednar in charge, I'm not sure that's likely to happen, he seems to not care much for him.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Greer's not a bust yet, but he needs to carve out an NHL role this year or else he's probably going to become one. With Bednar in charge, I'm not sure that's likely to happen, he seems to not care much for him.

I dont see why he cant be successful if he develops another year in the ahl. Big guys take a while, and next year we will be able to give him ghetto’s mins. I mean look at how long it took someone like pat maroon.

I like how long we gave Siemens, even if it didnt work out in the end. Greer is also in no way blocking any more promising youngsters.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I dont see why he cant be successful if he develops another year in the ahl. Big guys take a while, and next year we will be able to give him ghetto’s mins. I mean look at how long it took someone like pat maroon.

I like how long we gave Siemens, even if it didnt work out in the end. Greer is also in no way blocking any more promising youngsters.
This is his last year of being waivers-exempt. It's hard to imagine that he will spend an entire year in the AHL and then jump into the NHL next year immediately, especially when he'll be competing for that role with guys like Kaut, Bowers, and Shvyrev, who will IMO have better cases for callups. He needs to jump ahead of them now and get an NHL role for himself solidified before any of those other guys take his spot for good.

Reactions: MarkT

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This is his last year of being waivers-exempt. It's hard to imagine that he will spend an entire year in the AHL and then jump into the NHL next year immediately, especially when he'll be competing for that role with guys like Kaut, Bowers, and Shvyrev, who will IMO have better cases for callups. He needs to jump ahead of them now and get an NHL role for himself solidified before any of those other guys take his spot for good.

I still prefer to let the players develop at their own pace. Give them lots of AHL games with ice time. If they can dominate one year (i.e play above the nhl role they are projected to), put them in the NHL until they fail.

If the other guys win over him, it doesnt mean Greer has failed. Might mean we have a sick prospect pool. Kerfoot was a fast developer, great. Doesnt mean we have no role for another, give anorher guy up without giving him the chance to win back the position.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still prefer to let the players develop at their own pace. Give them lots of AHL games with ice time. If they can dominate one year (i.e play above the nhl role they are projected to), put them in the NHL until they fail.

If the other guys win over him, it doesnt mean Greer has failed. Might mean we have a sick prospect pool. Kerfoot was a fast developer, great. Doesnt mean we have no role for another, give anorher guy up without giving him the chance to win back the position.
If he's that good next year and we don't have a spot for him, we'll just lose him on waivers to somebody who will give him the NHL spot he deserves. Either way, we don't have the player anymore.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If he's that good next year and we don't have a spot for him, we'll just lose him on waivers to somebody who will give him the NHL spot he deserves. Either way, we don't have the player anymore.

I think we can find a spot for a 22 year old who played well in the AHL and has good draft pedigree. we waive or trade one of the veterans. Not like we’re shy about burying guys like colborne, beauchemin, orpik’s $ etc. Vets u never want to hold too long, youngsters you never want to give up too early. I dont want another boychuk situation.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think we can find a spot for a 22 year old who played well in the AHL and has good draft pedigree. we waive or trade one of the veterans. Not like we’re shy about burying guys like colborne, beauchemin, orpik’s $ etc. Vets u never want to hold too long, youngsters you never want to give up too early. I dont want another boychuk situation.
Even assuming we lose Wilson and Bourque to UFA, the roster looks crowded.

Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kerfoot, Jost, Kaut, Nieto, Soderberg, Kamenev, Bowers, Shvyrev, Calvert, Ghetto

That's a pretty reasonable 13 forwards for 19-20, and we may just have a lottery pick in the draft to add there. I don't see Greer pushing his way into that lineup unless he manages to do it before Bowers, Kaut, and Shvyrev.

Reactions: Tommy G

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
If all of those guys are NHL ready next year and Greer is all also good enough to be picked-up by another team yet below these guys, I'll gladly lose him as it will mean we're in pretty good shape. Keep in mind also that when you pick-up someone on waiver you need to keep him in the NHL for something like 30 days. So you need to really think he fits your NHL line-up when you pick someone off waivers.

Reactions: Tommy G
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad