2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cronin's system in the past likely won't come into play with the Eagles. We know Roy changed the Avs direction on this, and had the AHL coach implementing a very similar system to the NHL so that they would be well prepared to step in and play a role when called up.

By all accounts this has direction has remained under Sakic. Veilleux didn't really get to implement his preferred system either, so I'm sure whatever Cronin implements will be based around Bednar's philosophies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not that familiar with the AHL, but I was kind of under the impression that is more or less how the game is played there.

The AHL has a very wide variety of play styles. More than the NHL by a large margin. It is more chaotic simply because you have less experienced, dumber, and less talented players throughout the league. So things can break down quickly from the systems... but overall, the AHL has more variety in styles of play.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
....but should we trust Islander fans? I get the sense that they're the Maple Leaf fans of America. The "this player completely sucks when he played for us, so he'll probably suck for you guys' too", but turns out to be fairly decent and they're all shocked fanbase.

No doubt he should be given a chance before we write him off. I can't speak for others but as I've already said, I'm not familiar with him so all I can really go on is what others have said and written about him. So far I'm not finding many (if any) positives and that includes what @henchman24 posted here. Right now all I can think of is Dave Farrish when I read up on Cronin but I'm obviously going to give him a chance and see how it goes. I think Sakic and Bednar have earned that trust.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that Greg Cronin has been named head coach of the organization's American Hockey League affiliate, the Colorado Eagles.

In addition, Aaron Schneekloth and Ryan Tobler, who spent the past two seasons as the Eagles' head coach and assistant coach, respectively, will remain on the coaching staff as Cronin's assistants. Ryan Bach will also remain as goaltending coach.

"We feel Greg is the perfect fit to lead the Eagles as they begin their first season in the American Hockey League," said Avalanche Executive Vice President & General Manager Joe Sakic. "He has an extensive coaching background, including time as a head coach in the AHL. Greg not only has experience coaching players at the NHL and AHL levels, but also developing players at the college level and with the U.S. National Team Development Program."

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seems that his development time in College and at USNTDP heavily influenced the Avs here, especially considering that he's a defencive coach at heart and Avs best prospects are all defenders.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So we lost JIF?

Looks like it. There's only two teams in the NHL that run a 3-tier goalie coach/development system, Washington and just this summer Vancouver joined the club. Doubt the Avs will join that club soon. They were the last team to add a full-time goalie coach and second last team to have two goalie coaches.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think they've improved on the development side and Oliver seemed to be doing a better job, especially with these rookie camps. However, change might not be a bad thing based on the overall track record and hopefully they can bring in someone good. Can one of Billington's buddies hire him away too?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It will be nice to have some new blood (change can be healthy and productive), but Oliver got a real bad rap from a lot of people. I've heard a lot of good things about him and he is likely to do well behind the bench. Wish him nothing but the best.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Have to wonder if they knew Oliver would be looking to move on, and this was the position they were offering to Dubas/Fenton? It was said to be more of a developmental position IIRC.

I was never one to think that development was the problem over drafting, but that said, I do think it's a good thing to get a little new blood in that part of the organization. It's been pretty much the same with a couple small tweaks, for a while now. With a new AHL team nearby, and an influx of prospects coming aboard, a bit of a culture reset is probably good.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So we lost JIF?

Looks like it. There's only two teams in the NHL that run a 3-tier goalie coach/development system, Washington and just this summer Vancouver joined the club. Doubt the Avs will join that club soon. They were the last team to add a full-time goalie coach and second last team to have two goalie coaches.

Where are you guys seeing this info? He's still listed on the Avs site for what it's worth. Oliver by comparison, is not.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I think they've improved on the development side and Oliver seemed to be doing a better job, especially with these rookie camps. However, change might not be a bad thing based on the overall track record and hopefully they can bring in someone good. Can one of Billington's buddies hire him away too?
Yes can Billington be gone please

Reactions: Avs_19

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can't really tell if a guy is a good shot if all you keep handing him is blanks. That said, Billington will have no better opportunity than now to prove his worth. I suppose Chynoweth was given a fair shot, Craig should too. I gotta be honest though, I don't have a ton of confidence.

Who was the ECHL Eagles GM? Was it The Other Chris Stewart?

Very odd to be seeing all these former Avs coaches getting pretty sweet gigs elsewhere. Veilleux, Chynoweth, Army, Oliver, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple guys, all signed this offseason.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Message received, everybody.

While it wasn’t my intention to start anything (it sincerely was meant as a throwaway aside), I can recognize if what I intended as a simple throwaway line isn’t being received as such.

Reactions: Waingro

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
You can't really tell if a guy is a good shot if all you keep handing him is blanks. That said, Billington will have no better opportunity than now to prove his worth. I suppose Chynoweth was given a fair shot, Craig should too. I gotta be honest though, I don't have a ton of confidence.

Who was the ECHL Eagles GM? Was it The Other Chris Stewart?

Very odd to be seeing all these former Avs coaches getting pretty sweet gigs elsewhere. Veilleux, Chynoweth, Army, Oliver, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple guys, all signed this offseason.

Yes, the Other Chris Stewart lol

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Where are you guys seeing this info? He's still listed on the Avs site for what it's worth. Oliver by comparison, is not.

I was going by the last line in the paragraph that was posted from the story on the Avs site

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that Greg Cronin has been named head coach of the organization's American Hockey League affiliate, the Colorado Eagles.

In addition, Aaron Schneekloth and Ryan Tobler, who spent the past two seasons as the Eagles' head coach and assistant coach, respectively, will remain on the coaching staff as Cronin's assistants. Ryan Bach will also remain as goaltending coach.

Reactions: Waingro

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Does anyone have the projected lines for the AHL or is it too early yet?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My update take on the lines...

Colorado Eagles
Andrew Agozzino - Kamenev/Toninato - Scott Kosmachuk
AJ Greer - JC Beaudin - Martin Kaut
Julien Nantel - Sheldon Dries - Igor Shvyryov
Travis Barron - Josh Dickinson - Ty Lewis

David Warsofsky - Mark Alt
Mason Geertsen - Nicolas Meloche
Ryan Graves - Conor Timmins
Sergei Boikov

Pavel Francouz
Spencer Martin

- Alt is our #8th defender because I think Lindholm has the step on him.
- One of Kamenev or Toninato will be in the NHL; leaning towards Vlad.
- I believe that Geertsen will be given consistent minutes to see what the Avs have with him.
- There is also that rumour that Boikov might be shipping back to the KHL, so we'll have to wait and see what happens with him.

Utah Grizzlies
Mitch Maxwell - Jake Marchment - Michael Joly
Ryan Walters - Brendan Harms - Ryan Misiak
Left Winger - Centre - Right Winger
Left Winger - Centre - Right Winger

Turner Ottenbreit - Kevin Davis
Josh Anderson - Right Defender
Matthew Pufahl - Right Defender

Joe Cannata
Back-Up

- Could see Dickinson or Lewis start in the ECHL and have Joly in Loveland.
- Can also see Boikov starting the season in the ECHL due to his injury with someone like Ottenbreit playing as the depth guy.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see Beaudin locking down a center spot, especially in a top role. With the lack of right shots, I see Beaudin somewhere in the lineup after Kosmachuk on the wing. Dries is probably the top line center unless Kamenev gets sent down (though AHL that doesn't matter as much). Dickinson is likely a middle 6 center guy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad