2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
You better edit and put Juuso Riikola in at #26 or you'll miss out on the Calder winner in your article

Last edited:

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Thomas won’t be a contender. He’s going to get 4C playing time albeit on a more non traditional scoring line. I don’t anticipate more than 25-30 pts in even a breakout season from him this year mostly thanks to the blues depth. Nothing against him as a player, I think he could be a 2C on other teams. Perhaps he gets moved into a greater role if one of Schenn or ROR is hurt and he takes off, but seems very unlikely.

More likely a contender from the Blues would Kyrou as he will be playing 2nd line minutes with Schwartz and Schenn and will get points just by osmosis with that line. He seems to be much more NHL ready than anticipated and his speed makes him dangerous on the breakaway and as F1 pressuring the defense. Expect he could hit 50+ if he plays 82 games.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Playing defense in the NHL is really hard. I see Dahlin as the best player on this list eventually but not this season IMO

Reactions: MC2D

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Pettersson Svechnikov and Dahlin the obvious heavy weights.
Wouldn’t count out guys like Yamamoto or Kotka however.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
He’s a salty Vancouver fan.

Wouldn’t be shocked in the least if Yamamoto had more points than Pettersson this year.
I'm not salty at all. You continuously overvalue your players. I've watched this kid all preseason and all last year as well. Yes, he lights it up against AHL rosters, but against actual NHL rosters, he has been mediocre at best. If he doesn't have the puck, he's invisible, and when he does have it, 90% of the time he gives it away or is shoved off it. Time for him to show up against actual competition. Then I'll give credit.

Go read your own forums, plenty of Oil fans express these exact concerns also.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There are so many contenders, serious contenders this season, can't remember the last time when was this many.
- some are bigger, more serious than others, but all contenders (i consider few that got sent to minors as contenders as well,
those players are projected to be called up quite quickly)

(gotta remember, there are always injuries in a long NHL season,even from early on and before the season,
talented young guys are always lurking for that top 6, or a starting G role role if a chance appears)

Donato&Vaakanainen (Boston)
Dahlin (Buffalo)
Välimäki&Dubé (Calgary)
Svechnikov&Necas (Carolina)
Jokiharju&Kahun (Chicago)
Kamenev (Colorado)
Abramov (Columbus)
Heiskanen&Hintz (Dallas)
Rasmussen&Zadina (Detroit)
Yamamoto (Edmonton)
Borgström (Florida)
Kotkaniemi (Montreal)
Tolvanen (Nashville)
Tkachuk (Ottawa)
Hart (Philadelphia)
Thomas&Mikkola (St. Louis)
Cirelli (Tampa)
Pettersson (Vancouver)
Brännström (Vegas)
Niku (Winnipeg)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You guys are sleeping on Warren Foegele. Not surprised, but he has as much of a shot as any of the Canes' prospects that have made the opening night roster given his AHL play last year, his cup of coffee with the club last year, and his preseason play this year.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
There are so many contenders, serious contenders this season, can't remember the last time when was this many.
- some are bigger, more serious than others, but all contenders (i consider few that got sent to minors as contenders as well,
those players are projected to be called up quite quickly)

(gotta remember, there are always injuries in a long NHL season,even from early on and before the season,
talented young guys are always lurking for that top 6, or a starting G role role if a chance appears)

Donato&Vaakanainen (Boston)
Dahlin (Buffalo)
Välimäki&Dubé (Calgary)
Svechnikov&Necas (Carolina)
Jokiharju&Kahun (Chicago)
Kamenev (Colorado)
Abramov (Columbus)
Heiskanen&Hintz (Dallas)
Rasmussen&Zadina (Detroit)
Yamamoto (Edmonton)
Borgström (Florida)
Kotkaniemi (Montreal)