2018-19 Calder Trophy Contenders

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Donato is an interesting choice here. He'll always be going against 2nd/3rd pairing D men and could end up playing with Krejci a good deal (depending on lines).

I don't think he'll get it but i think hes going to put up some stats.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Borgstrom is so skilled buts need to pack on more strength to be better equipped to compete vs NHLers

Reactions: LastWordArmy

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
This seems like a 2-horse race between the 2 Swedes, but a couple off the radar guys usually show up.
Picking guys who are off the radar can be tough so all I can offer is that the best hope from the Jets looks like Vesalainen who will probably start the season on a line with Ehlers and Roslovic. I’m not sure he works his way onto the PP and the Jets will have to spread min between 4 lines when they are healthy so I just don’t see Vesalainen getting enough opportunity to make a real run even if that line really clicks.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Niku (Winnipeg)
He was good enough to earn a spot IMO but the Jets have too much he doesn’t need wavers so he’ll be in the AHL waiting for an injury call up. Even after he’s on the roster a D-man won’t contend for the Calder without a lot of powerplay time, something already in short supply on the Jets.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dahlin wont be getting prime PP time barring injury. Will be very hard to put up the offensive numbers without those valuable PP minutes, even if his overall play would warrant Calder nod.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
One thing a lot of people don't realize is that Cholowski is going to be running the first PP unit for Detroit. Green is gone for at least a month and Kronwall is injured again. This kid is going to start off getting big minutes as well. Granted Detroit's PP has been awful, but it has to help his stats.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
There's a chance, I guess, but Johnson is probably first up to start. Plus the Blues are committed to Allen so I wouldn't be surprised if the team stick with him through thick and thin.

The Blues are committed to Allen for logistical reasons. Nobody wants his contract, there weren't any worthwhile replacements available this summer, and Husso, while on the cusp, can still develop.

But if Allen gets injured or drops the ball and Johnson doesn't majorly pick up the slack, I'm confident they'll call on Husso. In that case, it's possible they'd give him an unfairly short leash or give Allen way too many chances to win back the job, squashing Husso's Calder chances; but it wouldn't surprise me if took the job and ran with it.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Blues are committed to Allen for logistical reasons. Nobody wants his contract, there weren't any worthwhile replacements available this summer, and Husso, while on the cusp, can still develop.

But if Allen gets injured or drops the ball and Johnson doesn't majorly pick up the slack, I'm confident they'll call on Husso. In that case, it's possible they'd give him an unfairly short leash or give Allen way too many chances to win back the job, squashing Husso's Calder chances; but it wouldn't surprise me if took the job and ran with it.

If Allen gets hurt I think Husso starts and Johnson remains the backup

Husso, Ilya Samsonov, these guys could be calder contenders in those types of circumstances (longterm injury to a starter) but i don't like predicting those kinds of scenarios.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad